Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Two Stroke cowl hides 4 stroke new outboad under

Two Stroke cowl hides 4 stroke new outboad under 11 years 3 months ago #79639

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Two Stroke cowl hides 4 stroke new outboad under 11 years 3 months ago #79640

second photo
Attachments:

Re:Two Stroke cowl hides 4 stroke new outboad under 11 years 3 months ago #79641

That is a 4 stroke Yamaha under that cowl.... read the write-up, please.

Re:Two Stroke cowl hides 4 stroke new outboad under 11 years 3 months ago #79663

Great write-up Chris!

That owner did a good job on that engine.

Re:Two Stroke cowl hides 4 stroke new outboad under 11 years 3 months ago #79665

• Neil
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
I know of Yamalube, but a Yamarude??
Looks good.

Neil and Mary Ousnamer

Re:Two Stroke cowl hides 4 stroke new outboad under 11 years 3 months ago #79671

You know how it it at Sunnyland.... you see something that knocks your socks off and you do not get enough photos. Yes, he did a great job. But, this boat, motor, trailer rig is out there for some. Modern engine, new boat, and new trailer. Looks period correct, but it runs like a new boat. It would properly caled a "Comtemporary" under ACBS rules.

The son of the founder of the brand still builds them like his Dad, did. Casts his own hardware, etc.

Very nice sport boat. Think similar to a G-3.

Re:Two Stroke cowl hides 4 stroke new outboad under 11 years 3 months ago #79674

Outstanding, Makes one wish he had the money to buy a new one for once.

Re:Two Stroke cowl hides 4 stroke new outboad under 11 years 3 months ago #79676

I agree that a new rig is not for everyone. That is what this forum is all about, too. Enjoying classic boating as you choose to do it.

Everyone should see if they can make it 7/20. We are going to enjoy classic boating in classic boats.

Re:Two Stroke cowl hides 4 stroke new outboad under 11 years 3 months ago #79678

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Very good write up on an awesome "conversion" job to the motor Chris, thanks for sharing. I personally love the vintage two strokes, but can certainly understand the reasoning behind the transplant. Best of both worlds, new age reliability WITH classic looks and styling! Very nice work.

I've heard Larry and several other life-long enthusiasts speak of Bill Turner and the Atlanta Boat Works, had no idea they were still producing their fine craft! Owning one of their "works of art" is just a pipe dream for me, but I'd love to go see their facility since it's right here in my home town. May have to check into that?

Mark

Re:Two Stroke cowl hides 4 stroke new outboad under 11 years 3 months ago #79680

seabuddy wrote:

You know how it it at Sunnyland.... you see something that knocks your socks off and you do not get enough photos. Yes, he did a great job. But, this boat, motor, trailer rig is out there for some. Modern engine, new boat, and new trailer. Looks period correct, but it runs like a new boat. It would properly caled a "Comtemporary" under ACBS rules.

The son of the founder of the brand still builds them like his Dad, did. Casts his own hardware, etc.

Very nice sport boat. Think similar to a G-3.

Chris:

You are right about the situation at Sunnyland on older boats with newer motors. As I told you on the phone, I was pretty much told my one-family owned Glasspar G-3 would NEVER stand a chance of any award due to that new engine on there. I also got "scolded"
by some older fellows who told me "I ruined the boat!"

But,...I am glad I set it up the way I did and very happy with the way the G-3 runs and performs. It is also comforting to know that I have a factory warranty whould any problems come up.

Re: Two Stroke cowl hides 4 stroke new outboad under 11 years 3 months ago #79681

seabuddy,

Pardon me, but that seems to be an answer to a question that shouldn't have been asked. - the "remuddler" seems to have messed up a BigTwin.

yours, satx

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re: Two Stroke cowl hides 4 stroke new outboad under 11 years 3 months ago #79685

I guess that's up to the owner. I have one 35 hp Golden Jubilee and two covers. And that cover is a huge one I might add. Will I do that? No I don't think. Am I temped to do that. MMMMaybe. My MFG is so far from original I feel no pains about running a 2003 Honda on it.

Re: Two Stroke cowl hides 4 stroke new outboad under 11 years 3 months ago #79693

This is something that I have actually been working on for my Duracraft. Originally I didn't care, but the more I got into it and the nicer the restore got, the more I started thinking Hmmmmm "I should put a classic motor on it too (and I actually have a 1958 Lark 35 that would look pretty good as far as being close to the correct time period, but I want to reliability and ease of obtaining parts of, at least, a newer motor. So I also have a 1988 Johnson 25hp that I purchased just for this little boat when all this started. Now I know it's not a new 4 stroke, but it is new enough to still have plenty of parts sources and it's a great all around little power plant. So I'm working on fitting a pair of old mid 50's 30hp seahorse clam shells onto a cut down late 80's engine cover.

Re: Two Stroke cowl hides 4 stroke new outboad under 11 years 3 months ago #79696

m casey stock,

FWIW, SIERRA PARTS, INC sells essentially everything for BigTwins through NAPA Stores.
(Offhand, I can think of no mechanical part that Sierra doesn't make for the OMC line of 40-60 years ago. BigTwins are so "over engineered" that I've never seen a "worn-out" one. = "bulletproof" pretty well describes them.)

yours, satx

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re: Two Stroke cowl hides 4 stroke new outboad under 11 years 3 months ago #79697

satx78247 wrote:

m casey stock,

FWIW, SIERRA PARTS, INC sells essentially everything for BigTwins through NAPA Stores.
(Offhand, I can think of no mechanical part that Sierra doesn't make for the OMC line of 40-60 years ago. BigTwins are so "over engineered" that I've never seen a "worn-out" one. = "bulletproof" pretty well describes them.)

yours, satx

I've been toying with the idea of just using the Lark and being done with it, but it is just so much bigger and boxy looking compared to the size of the boat. I'm not sure how much the Lark weighs, or the 1988 Johnson for that matter, i just know i can tote around the newer Johnson and looks like a better fit size wise for the boat. Keep in mind my boat is only rated for a 25hp motor at the crank. I know the 1988 Johnson is rated at the prop, making it a 30hp by old school standards and the 58 Lark is rated at the crank making it a 30hp by new standards so we are really not talking much difference. So, what it gets down to is looks, to me, that Lark just looks too big on my little 14ft Duracraft. IDK, I would probably get used to it. Do you think that one would out perform the other?

Re: Two Stroke cowl hides 4 stroke new outboad under 11 years 3 months ago #79704

I am still toying with this for the Glastron. I live near salt water (5 minutes from the ramp vs 40 minutes from the nearest lake) and don't want to ruin a vintage motor with salt. Would love to do a vintage cowl on a current 70hp Evinrude.

Todd (aka thetudor)
1964 Custom Craft Aqua Ray
1959 Glastron Seaflite
1959 Tomahawk Spirit

Re:Two Stroke cowl hides 4 stroke new outboad under 11 years 3 months ago #79721

What is happening 7/20? I like the idea of a modern engine dressed like an old one. seabuddy wrote:

I agree that a new rig is not for everyone. That is what this forum is all about, too. Enjoying classic boating as you choose to do it.

Everyone should see if they can make it 7/20. We are going to enjoy classic boating in classic boats.

Florida's Amphicar restoration destination

Re:Two Stroke cowl hides 4 stroke new outboad under 11 years 3 months ago #79722

• morris
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Dave, There is going to be a gathering of classics & glassics on 7/20 on Falls Lake in NC. The ramp chosen is on NC 50 at Falls Lake north of Raleigh. Nothing formal just a get them wet day for fun.

Glasspar g-3 Owners Club, Marque Club Representative ACBS
www.g3owners.com

Re:Two Stroke cowl hides 4 stroke new outboad under 11 years 3 months ago #79767

• Jim L
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
morris wrote:

Dave, There is going to be a gathering of classics & glassics on 7/20 on Falls Lake in NC. The ramp chosen is on NC 50 at Falls Lake north of Raleigh. Nothing formal just a get them wet day for fun.

This should be a topic(if it is not all ready and I missed it lol)

Re:Two Stroke cowl hides 4 stroke new outboad under 11 years 3 months ago #79769

• morris
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Sorry Jim L, John posted this in the regional fourms but you are right we need to do it here as well. I will get that done today.
Al

Glasspar g-3 Owners Club, Marque Club Representative ACBS
www.g3owners.com
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.239 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login