• Page:

TOPIC: Removing the Deck?

Removing the Deck? 11 years 3 months ago #79485

• havock
  • havock's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Well I have a 196x cutter scamp that needs a new transom. I have been advised of 2 options. Remove the splash well, which require cutting part of the top deck<?> of the boat along the sides. Or I could separate the entire top from the hull.

I decided to look into this option as the first would require a lot of cosmetic attention when putting the splash well back in place.
I removed a portion of the rub rail from the read port side of the boat. I'm not sure if it's still best to proceed with this option.

The top has been attached to the hull with continuous fiberglass mats on the interior and it appears with staples under the rub rail. It does seem that where was any fiberglass used between the top and the hull.

I've taken some pictures that can be found here: imgur.com/a/QaRi0#0 The interior photos show the inside of the port rear corner.

Would I just run a jig saw around inside the opening between the top and the hull then when I'm done just re glass the two parts back together?

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Removing the Deck? 11 years 3 months ago #79486

• Nautilus
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 58
You need a multi-master tool, not a jig saw. It can cut the staples and the fiberglass. Removing the splashwell is bad advice. You'll need a lot more than cosmetics to replace it. You will have lost a lot of your structural integrity...that which holds the sides of the boat together. I'd cut out the transom from the outside before I cut the splashwell.

Mentor to the unenlightened!

"Never allow logic to interfere with a boat purchase." - J. S. Hadley
"Vintage quality beats new junk every time." - J. S. Hadley
"Anything supposed to do two things does both of them half-assed." - J. S. Hadley
"Success makes...

Re: Removing the Deck? 11 years 3 months ago #79488

havock,

No question in my mind. = The whole deck comes off.

yours, satx

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re: Removing the Deck? 11 years 3 months ago #79490

Nautilus is right on target with this. That is what I did to remove the deck on my Glastron. You may find, as I idi, that the fiberglass is just a single layer and not put on that well. I cut the fiberglass from the inside and the screws (99 of them holding the deck on) from the outside. You will find a Multi Master (or one of the clones) a very useful tool.

Todd (aka thetudor)
1964 Custom Craft Aqua Ray
1959 Glastron Seaflite
1959 Tomahawk Spirit

Re: Removing the Deck? 11 years 3 months ago #79590

I agree with the above. If you are very careful, you can also use a SawzAll. Get a short fine toothed blade for cutting metal. Don't overlook trying to tear off the inner tabbing that bonds the deck to the hull. A wonder bar with a rubber mallet makes short work out of tabbing removal, if you know the technique. The object is to get the tip of the wonderbar under a poorly bonded area of the tabbing. Sort of like getting a razor blade under a bumper sticker. You simply try to get the tabbing to tear away from the hull. If you can get it to tear away, follow the tear in a parallel line to the hull joint. Don't try to break it open, try to keep lifting the tabbing away with breaking through. It can go surprisingly fast. If there is no access to do this, a saw is your only logical choice. Have a couple straight 2X4s that are long enough to support the deck. Set them on edge resting on a couple saw horses. Immediately put the deck on this after removal to keep it from sagging. You will need a person or two to help with this.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.166 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online