Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Jack plate on a outboard, still use power trim?

Jack plate on a outboard, still use power trim? 11 years 3 months ago #79483

Do you find yourself just going up and down to trim your outboard boat for speed, best fuel burn, and water conditions?

Or, do you still use power trim to trim out the engine for better speed?

Are you a up and down guy that finds yourself liking in and out, as well?

Did you use a jack plate for speed only? To mount a 20" shaft outboard on a 15 1/2 " boat transom? Did you do it because you did not have power trim on your engine?

Your input, please!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Jack plate on a outboard, still use power trim? 11 years 3 months ago #79494

Chris:

Great question Sir! Let me see if I can give you some input on what I did on my 1960 Glasspar G-3.

When I inherited our family owned 1960 Glasspar G-3 from my Dad I knew I wanted a newer outboard motor on our boat. Being that all the newer outboards have 20" lower units I had two choices; either
build up the transom or install a jackplate. I chose the later, install a jackplate. I like the natural lines of the G-3 and did not want to build up my transom.

In doing this, I talked with ALOT of G-3 owners and was basically told NOT to do this. You would not believe some of the ERRONEOUS theories I heard. During my research I talked to a G-3 owner in Florida who had hydraulic jackplates on not ONE,....but TWO of his G-3's with excellent results.

So,...I purchased and installed a "Bob's Machine" Hydraulic Jackplate and mounted a 2009 Mercury 50 H.P. Outboard on that jackplate with excellent results. The Mercury also has factory trim and tilt and the jackplate just adds more "adjustability" for shallow water, speed etc. I especially like it when coming into shallow water that I can hit the button on my dash and just raise the motor up but keep going until it gets to shallow.

Also, when running wide open throttle you can raise the engine to attain more forward speed. Personally,..I don't really make that
many "adjustments" as I ride along in the boat. After initial experimenting I now know where I can achieve the best ride and speed.

There were some G-3 Owners that told me the engine would have to be raised about FIVE (5) inches to get to the majic number to where the lower skeg was "even" or a little above the bottom of the G-3. They said that "lever effect" (motor high on the transom) would eventually damage my transom.
That theory was DEAD WRONG! Actually, the jackplate is only about 1 3/4" up for the motor to be "even" with the bottom of our G-3.

The jackplate has been on our G-3 for almost FOUR YEARS now with no problems whatsoever and I feel it is one of the best things I did to the boat.

Hope this has helped explain it some for you Chris!
Attachments:

Re:Jack plate on a outboard, still use power trim? 11 years 3 months ago #79496

Here is another photo for you Chris:
Attachments:

Re:Jack plate on a outboard, still use power trim? 11 years 3 months ago #79501

Will this boat and Jack plate be at... www.seabuddyonboats.com/boat-travel/run-your-classic-fiberglass-boat-with-friends/

Maybe I can see it work, in person?

Re:Jack plate on a outboard, still use power trim? 11 years 3 months ago #79508

Chris, That's the boat John said he will let you drive.

Re:Jack plate on a outboard, still use power trim? 11 years 3 months ago #79515

seabuddy wrote:

Will this boat and Jack plate be at... www.seabuddyonboats.com/boat-travel/run-your-classic-fiberglass-boat-with-friends/

Maybe I can see it work, in person?

Yes Chris, my G-3 will definitely be at our Falls Lake, N.C. Event and you can drive it and test out the hydraulic jackplate along with the Mercurys' trim and tilt. I think you will like it Sir!

Here is a picture of our G-3:
Attachments:

Re:Jack plate on a outboard, still use power trim? 11 years 3 months ago #79618

That photo get a reaction from me every time I see I see it.

Re:Jack plate on a outboard, still use power trim? 11 years 3 months ago #79629

Re:Jack plate on a outboard, still use power trim? 11 years 3 months ago #79664

seabuddy wrote:

That photo get a reaction from me every time I see I see it.

Thanks Chris!

I have to give my Dad all the credit for how well that red gelcoat looks. I did not understand it when I was young but my Dad NEVER let my Brothers or me leave the boat in the water or out in the weather. It was "garage kept" it's entire life.

The red gelcoat is ALL ORIGINAL with the exception of a small area on the back of the splashwell which was cracked. That red gelcoat is now FIFTY-THREE (53) years old!

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.189 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online