Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Newbee... late 50's Glasspar...over my head?

Newbee... late 50's Glasspar...over my head? 11 years 3 months ago #79201

Hi All,
I'm new to this forum. Hopefully I'll learn how to post pictures soon. First, let me tell you what drew me here...
I found a 1958? Glasspar sedan in West Palm Beach Florida. It's been sitting for a LONG time and needs to be completely restored. I fell in love with the boat and the owner wants to sell it. It's not seaworthy, it needs a new transom. The owner was telling me she hired a guy to do the repair and he ended up dying in the middle of the project. It looks like the boat has all the parts to it, minus full interior and seats, but it does have all the chrome bling rails and nameplates and lights. It has the wind screen in place and is not cracked, and also has a second windscreen that fits on top of the sedan hard top. This is cracked in the middle. It has the original Evenrude motor and trailer.

I know... pictures pictures pictures...

So, my questions are is the boat worth restoring? could the transom be done by me in my backyard? How hard is it to get parts? It does need a full interior and steering.

If it turns out this is a project I can take on, What kind of an offer should I give her for the boat?

Thanks in advance,

Richard

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Newbee... late 50's Glasspar...over my head? 11 years 3 months ago #79205

If I've learned anything from this forum. It's :
If you looking to turn a profit on a complete ground up tear apart and restore, it's probably not worth it or a even wash.

If you can't live without it, and plan on hanging on to it, AND love the challenge of a project, it doesn't matter ?

If you look at the big picture, it can be overwhelming, but if you look at one small process at a time, it is doable.

There is a wealth of knowledge here. I haven't been afraid to ask questions ? So you shouldn't either ?

As for price ? I have no Idea ????
I'm sure someone will chime in on what they bought this style for and how much it costs to fix.

I know I haven't said much ? But I don't know much yet either ?

Re:Newbee... late 50's Glasspar...over my head? 11 years 3 months ago #79206

If you are in Florida there is a very active Glasspar owners club called the Florida Glasspar Club. Here is their website. escraprecyclingservices.com/glasspar/
There are a lot of folks in this group with a lot of experience in restoring Glasspar boats. Im sure they would be willing to help you in any way they can.
Attachments:

Re:Newbee... late 50's Glasspar...over my head? 11 years 3 months ago #79209

Richard:

Welcome to the website Sir!

Chuck has given you some good advice on the Seafair you are looking at. My Wife and I also own a 1960 Glasspar Seafair Sedan but ours was in pretty good shape when we got it although it needed minor refurbishing. I posted a picture for you of our boat. I am a member of the East Coast Glasspar Owners Association and we are in the process of restoring another Glasspar Seafair Sedan. This Seafair Sedan needs a new floor and transom along with most all of the woodwork including the bulkheads, although it is a later model with fiberglass stringers

If the Seafair Sedan you are looking at is a late 50's model, it has wood stringers, so there would be alot more work with that boat IF the stringers are rotted. Richard, to help you out some, here is a link for you to a restoration we are doing on a donated Seafair we received from a man in Norfolk, Va.

www.classicglasspars.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&view=topic&catid=2&id=26011&Itemid=535

We are working on this boat up in Dinwidde, Va. at one of our other members homes. The pictures in that thread should give you some idea of what is involved with a restoration or refurbish of a Seafair Sedan.

PICTURES OF OUR REFURBISHED 1960 SEAFAIR SEDAN:

Cost of restoring that Seafair Sedan will depend alot on how much work the boat needs and if you do the work yourself or you hire somebody to do it. As you said, pictures would help alot. Original hardware for the Seafair Sedans is hard to get, but they are out there. You can find them sometimes on E-Bay or some of the antique boat sites. Another option, which I have done, is to have the original parts re-chromed or powdercoated. I did this on our 1960 Seafair Sedan as well as our 1960 Glasspar G-3 Skiboat.

Anyway,....as you said, post some pictures so we can help you out more and good luck if you buy the boat Sir.
Attachments:

Re:Newbee... late 50's Glasspar...over my head? 11 years 3 months ago #79240

• morris
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Richard, Glasspar had several Sedan models in the late 50's Please post some pic's. I can tell you regardless of the model it is a good boat once water worthy.
Al

Glasspar g-3 Owners Club, Marque Club Representative ACBS
www.g3owners.com

Re: Newbee... late 50's Glasspar...over my head? 11 years 3 months ago #79246

rmusso999,

WELCOME ABOARD.

YES, YES, NOT EASY & As LITTLE as you CAN = That's a PROJECT that will cost at least 3x what your worst guess now is.

yours, satx

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.188 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle