Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Just chewing the cud...................

Just chewing the cud................... 11 years 3 months ago #78916

I've been discussing the vintage glass boat hobby with some friends lately. Most of us agree that the interest pool has hit a plateau, and may actually be on the decline. Curiously, many of us "hard core" boat junkies all sprang onto the the scene at about the same time. The advent of the Web and sites like Fiberglassics.com helped to propel this hobby forward by providing information and a social outlet for enthusiasts. With the exception of a very small group of "heavy hitters" emerging on the scene over the past few years, the faces of the hobby don't seem to have changed much. This would suggest that the interest pool isn't really growing. Yes, there are new people appearing from time tot time, which is wonderful. But there are also people leaving the pool for a variety of reasons, health issues being one of them.

My personal opinion is that, for whatever reason, vintage glass boats fail to attract the attention that they deserve. People continue to buy and build hot rods with large V8 engines, so arguing that old boats use too much fuel doesn't seem a likely detractor. Then there is the exploding interest (world wide) in vintage travel trailers. The interest in these is huge, and people spend far more money restoring trailers as they would an old boat. People love to travel and go to trailer rallies where they meet friends with the same interest. How is that different than our boats. The value of old trailers has gone through the roof in recent years. I can't get anyone to sniff at an American Marc Stardust for 500 bucks.

So - what's the deal? I have a pasture full of tail-fin boats that I can't seem to sell, because nobody want's to step up to the plate. None of them run. All need to be restored. All are missing parts. If these boats were old cars or old trailers, those condition issues wouldn't stop people from snapping them up. I know most of my hard-core boat frineds are also sitting on a stash of boats, either restored or not. We don't want them to go to the dump. We value their uniqueness. We would love to see someone restore them.

While many people are only interested in building their own personal collection, which is perfectly fine, many of us collectors would like to see more people become interested in this very small and unique hobby. These boats deserve more interest and attention. Ken has been doing good things with Fiberglassics, Kevin Mueler has produced videos, and others have made contributions to increase awareness of the hobby. I'm interested to hear what other people's view of this is - and what possible suggestions you have to increase interest in our hobby.

Bruce G

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Just chewing the cud................... 11 years 3 months ago #78917

Hi Bruce,
I've often wondered the same things that you are discussing about boats ?
My thinking is that most folks consider boating more of a luxury than a necessity. You may say the same about old camping trailers but I respectfully disagree ???
Really, everyone has had a car that they remember as a child. And they'd all love to have the one they remember when they are older.
On the same line of thought, I'd say most have not had the same experiences with a boat ?
BUT I can tell you, every car show I've ever gone to, where a boat is hooked to a car, almost everyone stops to look at the boat more than the car ?
Then I hear... maybe someday I'll be able to get a boat ? Mostly, because of the luxury thought AND inexperience of ever owning or riding a boat.
Little do they know, it's less expensive to fix the boat, in most cases ?
Also, in all things cars wise, there are so many that can give experience, and expertise working on cars, but you'd be hard pressed for the same with boats ?

One solution ? Could be a half and half boat at a Car show, to show a half of a glass boat restored, the other half un-restored. The Buffalo Chapter of the ACBS has a wooden half/half that always generates a lot of looks and discussion. Practical demonstrations would be cool too, but because of the floating glass cloud the people would be breathing, and the fall out onto near-by autos....
That would be impractical ???

Another thought is: Access to nearby boating water. I have been fortunate to live in Buffalo, where there are all kind of places to go, in a relatively short distance.
There is lake Erie, Lake Ontario, Niagara river, Erie canal... And all along those areas, there are places to stop... restaurants, beaches... etc.
I now live in the Cincinnati area, and yes there are a few places to go on the Ohio River and a few small State Park lakes, but nothing like the Great Lakes, Michigan lakes, East coast West coast.
I apologize for all other states with lakes, but I don't have experience in any of those, so it is unfair of me to comment on those.

But mostly IMHO ? It's that EVIL spouse, that says "YOU DON'T NEED A BOAT !" (or in our cases: " YOU DON'T NEED ANOTHER BOAT !") My wife was the same way until I took her for a ride in one. Don't get me wrong, I love my wife dearly, but if you even suggest that she will lose her parking spot in the garage for a boat ? Thems fight'in words and they turn EVIL !!

Anyway... those are some of my thoughts ?

Re:Just chewing the cud................... 11 years 3 months ago #78931

• StevieB
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Actually, I have had many many many Corvettes and Muscle Cars thru the years. I have had a few Woodies, and most recently I have caught the bug in the last few years with "FIN" Boats. Funny thing on my end, my wife of 35+ years hates going to Car Shows, thus she never attends any of those events with me. There have been very collectible cars that I have owned that she actually never rode in. She just recently took a short ride, her first, in a Two Owner 1975 Corvette with 24,000 original miles before I sold it. On the other hand, she would always go with me to the Woodie Boat Shows that I frequented in Michigan. When I told her that I was going to go after a FIN Boat, the excitement surfaced again. So, here I am, restoring one to its original condition, recently completed, and she could not wait to go for a ride in it this weekend!

Now the question, .... how to generate interest? Simple answer.

To all of you Classic Boat Owners -
1. Attend as many Boat Shows that you can with your FiberGlassic (even Woodie Boat Shows).
2. Actually begin collectively networking to find other Owners within your geographical area, to have get togethers in and out of the water, with your boats, so that others can enjoy the pleasure of viewing these masterful works of art, thus sparking their interest to get involved.
3. Partner up with the "Antique Outboard Motor Club" to spark additional interest.

Problem Solved.

Should anyone near Linden, MI or Hale, MI wish to get together for a fun run on the lake, or meet at an Ice Cream Stand with our boats in tow, please email me.

Regards,
StevieB

Re:Just chewing the cud................... 11 years 3 months ago #78932

Having just finished my first fiberglassic (Sabre Craft pacer 15), and having had it out on the water a couple of times, here are a couple of thoughts that keep nagging at me. While I love the look of that Merc 500 on the 1962 boat - what a gas hog it is, and it would sure be nice to have a quieter cleaner engine. I think most of us are getting more consious of polution and noise and the old engines just do not compare with a modern 4-stroke. But a modern engine on a classic - yuk! I saw a good example of a big Evinrude cowl over a yamaha four stroke at Mt Dora so that might be a way to go. The old Homelites/Bearcats sound kind of unreliable and under powered, so I don't think I want to go that way. Just thinking...

Anyone with thoughts on this angle?
Bill

Re:Just chewing the cud................... 11 years 3 months ago #78937

In a Nut shell, I think it peeked for me in 09. Then the economy tanked,the election, fuel pries went from 1.89 to 4.25 here. Some have left because of health reasons, but I think its down most everywhere. prices have just gone through the roof! It cost me 150.00 for a 2 hr drive in my redg3, it used to be 65.00, food prices,home value,unemployment......It will come back, and Im sure of that. Im down from 27 boats and 75 outboards to 6 boats and about 15 motors. But Im not done. about 5 more years and the world will have healed some more....and then its ON!

Re:Just chewing the cud................... 11 years 3 months ago #78944

Fuel prices have certainly put a damper on a lot of the travel activities I looked forward to in retirement. For the boat, not so bad, but for getting to decent boating water. Nearest lake where I can enjoy my 16 footer is nearly 100 miles distant. So a 200 mile round trip, at 12 mpg towing, and I've spent $60 or more before I hit the water.

On the other hand, my little cruiser never fails to grab the interest of admirers, at gas stops, launch ramp, by passing cars, etc. and I'm always proud and happy to chat with interested folks about it and talk up the hobby. I could go and shell out $20k or so on a shiny new Tracker, loaded with bells and whistles, which I would love to own, but I'm betting no one would come up at a boat launch and start drooling over it the way some folks do with my little Glasspar.

I've owned quite a few boats, this one being the most "vintage" and never really found them to be the proverbial "hole in the water..." maybe because I'm willing to do most of the work myself.

I think we're sort of members of a niche hobby, and relatively few folks would get excited about tinkering with sometimes cranky old motors, rotten stringers, and hard to find parts like windshields. Most, if they like boats, would rather finance a new one and let the dealership do the fixing. But for me, I do love the smell of outboard oil and fresh fiberglass resin in the morning...

Re:Just chewing the cud................... 11 years 3 months ago #78948

• Jim L
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Interest is out there.I put the fiberglass top on my 63 aristocraft and took it to a local vintage car cruise in and had quite a bit of looking, taking pics and questions. I think for the most part,folks are a little gun shy on fixing boats when it comes to repairing fiberglass and rotted out wood and finding needle in a haystack parts. There is not much if any parts availability for old boats like there is for old cars/trucks. I've heard of folks giving up when they look for years for a windshield replacement and never find it.my 2 cents

Re:Just chewing the cud................... 11 years 3 months ago #78956

I'm a little different here. I didn't have the bucks for a decent boat and got an old one just because it was dirt cheap and held the water on the outside while I fished. It didn't even have seats, just a chunk of plywood to sit a lawn chair on. I kid you not. It said MFG on the tag and I decided to do some research. I ended up here. Now I was sparked. My problem is my small budget. When John sold off his boats I wanted that Flying Fish bad but I knew I could not do her as she deserved. Incidentally I sent the link of those boats to John Gibson because I knew he could do a great job and was looking for a project. Health is his problem too.
I find it interesting that even with my MFG not looking that old because it is set up and rigged for fishing that it does get attention from other boaters. I don't know how many have come up to me asking questions about it and my dog too. I've been asked why I drive over the shoals because that is dangerous to props and such. My old girl has towed her share of newer boats back to the launch. She has weathered bad conditions when caught in bad weather. I have one fellows number who wants her when I sell her soon. I fish it hard and it comes back for more. People like to look at old boats, why not buy them? Many just don't want to do the work. I went to Cabellas last week. I can get a brand new aluminum 16 footer with a trailer for just around 4 grand. Mind you that does not even have wiring in the boat. Just a shell. Looking was nice but then I think of what I have into this 59 Winner I'm about to finish. Not money but BLOOD and TIME. No new bass buggy for me even if I could afford it. So many times I gave this addy to people who never show up. Why are we so much different? I think it is a great hobby and a great family hobby. When I take a load of junk in I shutter if I see an old outboard sticking out of a pile. Look at the good parts. It's a disease I tell you.

The information we give and use freely here is a great asset to us all. We've had our petty bickering but it is not bad. Even friends disagree.

But I think we can handle that. I know when there were problems with the server and slow board and such that turns people off too. Lets just keep welcoming everybody aboard and keep smiling.
Attachments:

Re:Just chewing the cud................... 11 years 3 months ago #78957

These are all good points - thanks for sharing. The economy certainly is a large part of it. I have always said that the Glass hobby needs more car and hot rod converts - those are the likely the best people to attract.

Re:Just chewing the cud................... 11 years 3 months ago #78964

I think alot of what makes people gun shy on these old boats, is the fear of glass work. I have had people bring me jobs to repair that any kid with a disc sander could handle, just because it was fiberglass. And part two is the old floating hole to throw money in thing......I think I am sitting at about 600.00 total in my 56 glasspar delmar (so far I have recarpeted the interior and rewired from bow to stern, and replaced the WP impeller) So I know the economy is bad these days, but 600.00 for a running floating boat with a nice little cabin is not a bad deal, especially since how I don't have to drag the tent and all that jazz to the lake with me anymore(and no waking up cuddling a snake in my sleeping bag)

Re:Just chewing the cud................... 11 years 3 months ago #78972

• tey1967
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Car shows and building is waaay down too imo. It is still hot in small areas though. The gen x and y are starting to get into the rat rods. They have not discovered boats yet!

Re:Just chewing the cud................... 11 years 3 months ago #78973

I see interest in classic boats rising. There are more and more vintage boat shows and rally events and gatherings. In the 15 years I have been active in classic boat collecting, etc... I bet the number of activities has doubled. There is more and more interest in non-wood boats in my opinion. Even I have become a convert! My everyday user boat is classic fiberglass!

Andreas

Re:Just chewing the cud................... 11 years 3 months ago #79058

• StevieB
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Ok, attached is a pic of my solution as noted previously. I just purchased this to drive around town, go to a few car(truck) shows and trailer my boat to the lakes close to our house, .... after I bring the Owens back home from the cabin:
Attachments:

Re:Just chewing the cud................... 11 years 3 months ago #79064

I agree with most of the comments made here on this subject. It would be nice to see more people in the boating community to take a little more notice of the older boats out there. I agree that the cost of fuel has played a big part in the use of a boat in the last few years. The main problem I have found with these older boats has been trying to find one in the area that I live. I have found about 4 in the last year that would be considered good for rebuilding. The problem is the owners not wanting to part with them because " I am going to restore it some year." Or trying to get in touch with the owners. I have been trying to contact a person in western Nebraska for 2 weeks now about a nice finned little cabin job. No luck on getting a reply from the owner. No many of us can afford to just jump in our truck and drive half way across the country to find a boat. I have the type of job where every week I get different days off. It would be nice to see more of these older boats on the water. I know every time I take mine to the lake there is always someone telling me how nice it is and they are glad to see an old boat on the water. I think that is the part that keeps me going in this hobby. Skip.

Re:Just chewing the cud................... 11 years 3 months ago #79072

Bruce:

Great post Sir! The subject of interest in our antique or older boats is a good one with alot of issues involved. I agree with what all of the FG members have said.

In our area here in eastern N.C. I think it is growing, but very slowly. A local college here (Cape Fear Community College, Wlimington, N.C.) has a Marine Technology/Boat Building/Engine Maintenance School and their yearly antique boat show is getting larger every year, but nowhere near the level of say St. Michaels or Mt. Dora.

Like many of you, EVERYTIME we take our 1960 Glasspars out in the ICW or nearby lakes there is always AT LEAST one or two people that come up and ask questions or make comments about the the boats. So,..I know interest is there. Compared to what new boats cost today, to me, the cost of restoring or refurbishing any antique boat is low. But I also know many people can't afford to put out the money too.

I also think that some of the boating "clubs" do a lousy job of promoting their individual brands of boat and in some cases treat some of the their members very poorly.

Re:Just chewing the cud................... 11 years 3 months ago #79076

• shacomm
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Bruce... thank you for the post. I fit your description perfectly. I'm a motorcycle and car guy and I am new to the boating hobby.

All the motorsports hobbies peaked in 2008 and we are just now seeing a return to the hobbies by the general market. (Hard-core guys never go away, new blood comes from the general market.) Prices and sales at Barrett-Jackson are significantly better this year than last year. However, it will be a few years until the "fat" hobby market returns.

Also the demographics are changing. In motorcycle business the turn-of-the-century (1998-2008) chopper craze was driven by baby boomers. The gen X/Y's turned their backs on high priced v-twins and have been working on a restoring old Honda's and Triumphs in the Cafe Racer style. This is similar to the Rat Rod trend mentioned by tey1967.

It would be natural to target the 25-35 y/o hobbiest to take up the 'Glass craze. This hobby doesn't take stupid money like wood boats and the internet makes it possible to source the parts and expertise. Wanna make the hobby more noticable? If there is a shop out there who is restoring these beauties, and the owner has some personality, History channel loves cool old stuff.

If you have a garage full of this kind of crap, the natural next progression in the disease is a Glassic.
Attachments:

1960 Dorsett Belmont w/ 60 HP Flying Scott aka \"Whisky Tango\" dorsettbelmont.blogspot.com/ Read my Jerky Blog at JerkyAficionado.com
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.241 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online