• Page:

TOPIC: Help me buy a prop please.

Help me buy a prop please. 11 years 3 months ago #78899

• tey1967
  • tey1967's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
I am in desperate need of a new prop for my Glastron Fireflite. I was hoping you guys could help. I know nothing about this subject. I run a 1964 johnson electromatic 60. I need to trim the motor to get it tuned in but the prop is so bad I thought I better start there. Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Help me buy a prop please. 11 years 3 months ago #78907

www.propcopropellers.com/

Call and talk to them

CAVU

Re:Help me buy a prop please. 11 years 3 months ago #78914

Be aware that there were two gearcase types for OMC engines. One was called the "heavy duty" and is a split type case held together with screws. These used a propeller of 11 or 12" in diameter. The other gearcase was the "Jet-stream" that had a bullet - like nose and one piece aluminum casting. These usually took a 10" propeller.

The propellers were supplied by Michigan Wheel Co. As suggested above, Propco has a good offereing for your engine. They are a good company to deal with, and the only one I'm aware of that sells new propellers for this motor. If you can find a NOS or good used propeller, you may get higher quality for less money. You can search for propellers on Ebay and you will find plenty of them.

You will want to always have a few extra shear-pins and stainless steel cotter pins on-board the boat at all times. Always carry a spare propeller for emergency use. I keep shear pins and cotter pins in a small tin, placed in a plastic bag.

If you engine uses the smaller "jet-stream" case your engine will be happy with a 10X11 propeller. That will have decent torque for pulling and cruising speed. Expect speeds around 30mph. Be aware that the small gearcase had two types of propellers offered; small and large hub. The hub sizes were the only differences, the shafts and general design were the same. The small hub props used a shorter shear-pin, and a smaller nose cone. Either propeller will work, but you must match the correct pine and cone to the propeller.

Attachments:

Re:Help me buy a prop please. 11 years 3 months ago #78928

• tey1967
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Thanks for all the help. Does this picture tell you what case it is? I am assuming jetstream.

Re:Help me buy a prop please. 11 years 3 months ago #78953

Hold the phone..... That engine is a 40 Electromatic, not a 60. Your engine only has 2 cylinders and the 60 have 4. So this is a different story completely. Yest the lower unit is a jet stream, but it's a little different than the larger V-4 60 to 90 horse engines. You need to find a prop for any Johnson 40 HP with PIN DRIVE.. Propco.com has them and they are plentiful on Ebay. I would guess at a 10X12 or 10-3/8X12 would work on your boat.

Re:Help me buy a prop please. 11 years 3 months ago #78971

• tey1967
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
And this is why I need help!! Thank you so much!

Re:Help me buy a prop please. 11 years 3 months ago #78985

Propco has increased the price of the propeller to near 100 bucks - so look on Ebay for a New Old Stock or gently used one - you can buy them used but take risks for the hub being spun and unusable.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.187 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online