TOPIC: How much HP?

How much HP? 11 years 3 months ago #78886

• nklowe
  • nklowe's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Hey Guys and Gals,

After a lot of work, I need to repower my 1958 Glastron Seaflite (with the hardtop, HA!), but I don't know how much power to put on. It is rated up to 120 hp, and that seems nuts. I will say this: it should be lighter because I had a fellow redo everything, the transom, stringers, floor, in composite materials.

I want to be able to pull two skiers and save enough weight so as to add a kicker motor, I live in Houston and would take it to the Gulf.

I'm not wanting to go 60 mph, but I want to cruise with a load of people and coolers. Also, I hate to say it, but I'd like to keep an American-made outboard on there, don't care about the year. Just seems right.

Your expert opinions are appreciated!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: How much HP? 11 years 3 months ago #78889

I wpould say 85&up in OMC or 100hp &up mercury, or a 105hp chrysler
all would work and could be painted period correct colors.

Re: How much HP? 11 years 3 months ago #78898

nklowe,

WELCOME ABOARD. - ImVho, "ponyboy" is correct. - IF I was doing it, I would be tempted to buy & "fix up" a pair of "George Jetson-style" HOMELITE 55s.

yours, satx

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re:How much HP? 11 years 3 months ago #78905

Welcome aboard!!!!!!!!!!!! Well I have to say I'm in complete agreement with Ponyboy also. Although I am a fan of the philosophy "never too much power"! Just because it's there doesn't mean you have to use it! ;)

Bob

Re:How much HP? 11 years 3 months ago #78915

Any chance you're Nick Lowe - the recording artist???

If you aren't familiar with the way the boat drives, rides and performs, you may want to check that out before spending money to equip it for large open water. Most old boats perform horribly in big water, but some do surprisingly well. Just something to consider. Your boat will be the most comfortable and safe at speeds under 35 mph. The hulls at the time were generally not designed for high speeds, as the power of engines was limited. Does the boat have a 15" or 20" transom? If the boat has a 20" transom, you don't mind having a modern motor, and have the money, hands-down, put an Evinrude Etec on there. The Etecs are the lightest weight new motors made - but the new motors usually weigh more than the old ones did. The 60 is an awesome motor - it's smaller and lighter than anything out there. It will have the power of a vintage 70 horse while being very quiet and use 70% less fuel. The 75 and larger are awesome engines but they are much heavier. The 60 would easily push that boat speeds to 30mph. I don't know what weight skiers you want to pull, or if they will be double or single skis, but you will need some pretty serious power to do that if they are adults. Like 125 Hp type power. Vintage engines are great but not for people that don't like to work on their own engines. If you like working on engines, vintage is a fine way to go. If you don't want to mess with an outboard, do not buy an old motor.

Re:How much HP? 11 years 3 months ago #78930

Hey, sorry to barge but if anyone wants a brand new 2008 Etec 75 still in factory crate, therefore shipable, got one. I'm glad to sell it for dealer cost in 2008.

Re:How much HP? 11 years 3 months ago #78962

tonyboats,

WELCOME ABOARD.

yours, satx

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.179 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle