Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: boat id and registration question

boat id and registration question 11 years 3 months ago #78691

So I got this boat for a song and a dance. Needs restored but not sure what it is. Looks just like the 60-65 runabout, but mine has an aluminum rudder? On each side. From what I was reading, the HIN numbers weren't used till the 70's. There's a plac in the middle of the dash where the ignition and choke are and it reads mccullock and Scott. Has a cigarette lighter. Realty cool boat. I just don't know how to register it. I got a bill of sale and the guy has it written as a 1985 alumicraft, but it doesn't look like anything they have. Also, to the left of the steering wheel, you can see that so e kind of plac was there at some point. Any help with I'd would be great. If you know how to register a classic boat with out a hin number would be super.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: boat id and registration question 11 years 3 months ago #78696

joshua78,

WELCOME ABOARD.

It depends on WHERE you are. = Post your state/location & an "expert" from there will likely tell you HOW to do it.

yours, satx

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re: boat id and registration question 11 years 3 months ago #78697

joshua78,

WELCOME ABOARD.

It depends on WHERE you are. = Post your state/location & an "expert" from there will likely tell you HOW to do it.

yours, satx

Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re:boat id and registration question 11 years 3 months ago #78699

Welcome aboard!

McCollough Scott was the outboard motor. There must have been one of their motors on the boat at one time.

More photos from different perspectives will be helpful in an identification attempt.

Andreas

Re:boat id and registration question 11 years 3 months ago #79060

• Ike
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 14
Well, how to register? Get together any documents, like a bill of sale, former registrations, etc. Go to the organization in your state that registers boats. Tell them how old it is and that there are no identifying names numbers etc. Ask them if they need to assign it a state issued HIN, (also called a backyard boat builders HIN) Some states require an HIN for the boat Some don't. For instance, my 1972 Sea Ray does not have a HIN. I have talked to the Washington state boating law administrator and the registration and titling office and the have no problem with it. But some insist on it. If they do they will ask you to sign a form certifying that it was built before. They will assign an HIN. You put it on the Transom of the boat. They will also give you registration numbers.

But, do try to identify what make it is and when (approximately) it was made.

Oh yeah almost forgot the most important part. Some states have sales tax and personal property tax. This is based on the value of the boat. You will need a receipt or bill of sale.

Also take along photos of the boat.

Peter D. Eikenberry
newboatbuilders.com
"Don't tell me that I can't. tell me how I can."

Re:boat id and registration question 10 years 3 weeks ago #100393

Been quite a while since I've posted on my boat restoration. Since originally posting, I got discouraged an its been sitting in the garage. I live in south eastern Iowa. The DNR here will let me register it as a 85 bayliner that it was previously registered as. Well I'm really wanting to register it as what it really is since it is a classic/antique boat. I have it narrowed down to between 1956 an 1961 Pipestone runabout. Much as I hate to since I wanna do it right, I'm thinking I'm just gonna register it as something its not so at least I can get it out and enjoy it. Just wish there was a way I could get it narrowed down more. I will be getting pics on here within the week. My question is, what kind of pics would help most?

Re:boat id and registration question 10 years 3 weeks ago #100396

joshua78,

GOOD LUCK on getting your "paperwork" corrected.
(MUCH of the TPWD "paperwork" is OBVIOUSLY FLAWED & you cannot get them to fix even GLARING mistakes.)

yours, satx

Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re:boat id and registration question 10 years 2 weeks ago #100403

Here's a few pics

Re:boat id and registration question 10 years 2 weeks ago #100411

Interior, or lack of

Re:boat id and registration question 10 years 2 weeks ago #100412

Interior, or lack of

Re:boat id and registration question 10 years 2 weeks ago #100414

Not sure why but pics aren't posting from my phone

Re:boat id and registration question 10 years 2 weeks ago #100558

You cannot post pics directly from your telephone or computer. You must first upload them to something like Photobucket. then you can download them form Photobucket (or whatever) to the forum.

Definitely NOT a 1980s Alumicraft (correct spelling is Alumacraft) or Bayliner.

The aluminum keel and splash rails may indicate Pipestone Sales Co. of Pipestone, MN.

ANY photos in addition to the one you posted will be helpful.

Andreas

Re:boat id and registration question 10 years 2 weeks ago #100566

thompsonboat wrote:

You cannot post pics directly from your telephone or computer. You must first upload them to something like Photobucket. then you can download them form Photobucket (or whatever) to the forum.

Andreas

Just to clarify, you can post photos from your computer as long as they are the correct size.

See this post if you need help with that:
fiberglassics.com/fiberglassics-forums/home/support/how-to-post-pictures

:)

P.S. If you are still having trouble registering, some have registered in another state first, then transferred to their state.

Dave in sunny Buffalo

Classic Fiberglass Boat Owners Association:
www.classicfiberglasboats.com/

Re:boat id and registration question 10 years 2 weeks ago #100575

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Give Wisconsin a try. Just like old times getting in a saloon under age, if you got the money you're in. Go online for registration info. dnr.wi.gov/permits/registrationandtitling .

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.212 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online