Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: stripping and cleaning parts ...whats works????

stripping and cleaning parts ...whats works???? 11 years 4 months ago #78497

ok guys whats a good solution that i can soak my engine parts to clean them out and strip the paint off..i need to strip a bad paint job and clean and degrease all at the same time.. looking for something that i can let the parts sit in and eat the crap off..

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:stripping and cleaning parts ...whats works???? 11 years 4 months ago #78514

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Kerosene and brake parts cleaner are my two weapons of choice on grimey (greasy) parts, but you will need to brush or agitate the gunk before final cleaning with hot soapy water. The EPA has banned most chemicals that do it effortlessly, even the carb cleaner these days is somewhat mundane compared to what it used to be.

If you have a local machine shop, many have large vats of hot caustic chemicals they use to clean engine parts in, you might check with one to see what they would charge for a small "side job"?

Mark

Re:stripping and cleaning parts ...whats works???? 11 years 4 months ago #78518

DITTO, give it time is all I can add. I also use it in a bucket to clean my tools.

Re:stripping and cleaning parts ...whats works???? 11 years 4 months ago #78534

I don't know where you are, but, Berryman has always been very good. You can buy it at any auto parts chain like Kragen. Actually Tyme is the best, but, it's not sold in California any more.

I saw this on You Tube. Get a coffee can or large metal container that has a lid and fill it with enough of your cleaner to cover the parts. Put your parts in the can and put the lid on. Take an orbital sander, the small one, and without sand paper, of course, place it on the top of the lid and turn it on. If you have an orbital sander that has an adjustment on it, is best. Make sure that the container is fastened to your work surface. this set-up will act like an ultrasonic cleaner. Make sure you wear protective eye wear.
There is also DIY cleaners you can make. Google Homemade carb and parts cleaner.
Be careful with letting parts sit in caustic chemicals too long. It could eat the metal.

Re:stripping and cleaning parts ...whats works???? 11 years 4 months ago #78541

Ditto on the machine shop route. Unless you can find a very slow shop, expect to pay the going labor rate for anything they do, even if it's just a little bit of stuff. The caustic soda wash used now will usually tear off rattle can or latex paints pretty nicely. Old baked on enamel will be very tough. I used to do all of my own cleaning, but it's got a lot of disadvantages. EPA has rendered most over the counter cleaning products to near useless levels. The stuff is expensive, smells bad, can be hazardous, can burn you or kill you, and ruin your relationship with spouse and neighbors. Mark's advice is good if you are just doing same small parts. I do the same as he does, as that is what seems to work the best for removing simple grime. Go to the store & get a foil roasting pan for a turkey. They are large enough for carbs, magnetos, gears, etc. Wipe it out when done for the next time. Anymore, I usually send out lower units, towers, blocks to be soda washed. Then I blast everything down to bare aluminum & start over fresh. It's a lot of F'n work though.............

Re:stripping and cleaning parts ...whats works???? 11 years 4 months ago #78547

• Nautilus
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 58
We de-grease with K-1 kerosene, dry, beadblast, blow off with air, wire wheel, prime and repaint.
Sorry...there's no free lunch!

Mentor to the unenlightened!

"Never allow logic to interfere with a boat purchase." - J. S. Hadley
"Vintage quality beats new junk every time." - J. S. Hadley
"Anything supposed to do two things does both of them half-assed." - J. S. Hadley
"Success makes...
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.169 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle