Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Batboat creation?

Batboat creation? 11 years 4 months ago #78432

I have been searching for a website to learn about the history of the Glastron Batboat that Mel Whitley and Bob Hammond built back in 1966. I understand that the boat they built for the movie has been turned into a parade car. When searching on the CGOA site, it gives me a German site to visit that has nothing to do with the Glastron.
I have a Batman afficianado that is interested in doing a replica boat to have for his car collection. His goal would be to do it as close to original as possible. If I am remembering correctly, they used a V174 IO with a straight 6 Mercuiser. I have VHS copies of the movie with footage of the boat in action. Just wndering if anyone on this site would have information on taking on this task. I think it would be a very cool project....Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Batboat creation? 11 years 4 months ago #78487

I settled for the Hot Wheels version but an FG member Darren has a good blog on the Batboat and his restoration. Lots of pics, measurements and details.
batboat.blogspot.com/

Re:Batboat creation? 11 years 4 months ago #78513

This may be of little help, but my family's marine business was a Glastron dealership at the time, and for the 1967 Atlanta Boat Show (I assume) one of the boats they sent around for promotion was display at the show, and (either before or after the show) at our dealership. On our website page, we have a picture of the Batboat at the show with a Batgirl model. Here is the link: fergusonpoolemarine.com/aboutus.html (down to the bottom right of this page). I do vaguely remember getting to sit in it while it was displayed in front of the dealership. Sounds like a neat idea to create a close copy of one.

Profile Picture:
E. Carl Kiekhaefer (Mercury Founder) & Joe Poole Sr. @ 1964 Mercury Dealer Meeting

Re:Batboat creation? 11 years 4 months ago #78524

Joe, that is a great history to be a part of, I really enjoyed reading your link! At some time in the past I recall reading the story about Bob Hammond and Mel Whitley building the bat boat in one months time. I have been unable to locate that article. I would love to hear from anyone who would have any information or knowledge of that project to begin to build and information file to be historically as accurate as possible. I appreciate any help that anyone can impart!

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.169 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online