• Page:

TOPIC: Wax recommendations?

Wax recommendations? 11 years 4 months ago #78393

• Normspeed
  • Normspeed's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
It's been a year since I bought my delMar and one of the first things I did was buff out the gelcoat with 3M compound/polish and a big variable speed buffer. Lots of work. Still looks pretty good since I keep a cover on it but it's time to freshen it up. What waxes or polishes do you recommend? I'd like to do it this time with my 10" reciprocating buffer or hand polish.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Wax recommendations? 11 years 4 months ago #78395

I use turtle cream wax or mothers show wax on my stuff. Both put on a good shine and keep the water beading up nicely.. go turtle wax for the first few times to build a base up, then switch over to mothers to keep the shine on it...(mothers gets kind of expensive to use from the get go...lolhttp://www.fiberglassics.com/components/com_kunena/template/200907_the_lips/images/english/emoticons/tongue.png)

Re:Wax recommendations? 11 years 4 months ago #78400

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
I had pretty good results using Attwood's Cleaner-Wax on tired gel coat on a previous project Norm, but the shine went after a couple months. Then Meguiars became an advertiser here, and I gave their marine products a shot. BIG difference, finish with their premium paste wax and your orbital buffer and you won't have to mess with it again all season!
www.meguiarsdirect.com/category/marine-rv/polish-wax-protect

(I agree with Damen, Mothers is good stuff. But I do try to support the folks who support this site whenever I can.) ;)

Mark

Re:Wax recommendations? 11 years 4 months ago #78406

I confess that I have never been a fan of traditional marine waxes. This probably comes from my sailing and racing background and the fact that wax actually increases drag over untreated gelcoat. Plus you can get a build up that may need to be removed periodically. I have used the polimer polishes for quite a while. Currently I use West Marine Pure Oceans Wash-n-Shine. So far I have been happy with the results. The caveat is that my boats are not left in the water all season and this is only on gelcoat. My CC lives in the garage when not in use, but my Laser (14' sailboat) is outside in a storage rack. Both finishes seem to hold up well.

Todd (aka thetudor)
1964 Custom Craft Aqua Ray
1959 Glastron Seaflite
1959 Tomahawk Spirit
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.164 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT