Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Need help on Bell Boy year, model and original mot

Need help on Bell Boy year, model and original mot 11 years 4 months ago #78081

I am new to the forum and a new boat owner (my neighbors call it a fleet) in San Diego. I one of the boats I acquired is a Bell Boy Cruiser. The previous owner never titled it, but it is on a 1961 Tee Nee dual with an Oregon boat title listing the model year of the 15' 9" boat as 00. It has an Oregon Watercraft Endorsement listing it as a 1962 Bell Boy 16' with an Evinrude V4 Starflite 50hp motor that the serial number looks like a 1958/59 longshaft.
Is the year mislabeled and maybe a 265 or length in error and is a 62 Beta 17? It has controls for two outboards, yet only came with one. Was this a twin from the dealer?
Any expert help would be appreciated if the pictures I try to load are visible.
Thanks, Rich
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Need help on Bell Boy year, model and original mot 11 years 4 months ago #78082

Here are more pics.
Rich
Attachments:

Re:Need help on Bell Boy year, model and original mot 11 years 4 months ago #78094

Rich - look over in the fiberglassics library to confirm - but I'm pretty sure what you has is a 265 Express from the 1959 model year. Nice find!

Re:Need help on Bell Boy year, model and original mot 11 years 4 months ago #78104

Thanks Bruce. Once you pointed me in the right direction, the light bulb came on with the year & model. Nice to know it was registered in Oregon for over 50 years as a 1962 and now is a San Diegan 1959 265 Express!
Thx, Rich

Re:Need help on Bell Boy year, model and original mot 11 years 4 months ago #78221

Well you have a 1958 Evinrude 50 HP motor there, at least judging from the motor cover. That motor cover can fit a variety of years, so a model number would be the best indicator.

Can you post a better photo of the control box? Not quite sure what you have there just by looking at the available photos.

Re:Need help on Bell Boy year, model and original mot 11 years 4 months ago #78237

Thanks Andy for the reply. I thought the motor would be a 59 since the Bell Boy is that year. The model & serial number is 50514-12604 so it must be a 1958. Is it a short shaft or has it had a longer lower unit added later at some time? I have located a 50515 in San Francisco and the shafts look similiar. The controls are a dual Smith set up. Have not heard of that manufacturer.
Pics of engine below.
Thanks, Rich

Re:Need help on Bell Boy year, model and original mot 11 years 4 months ago #78239

Fat Fifty 50514 & lower unit

Re:Need help on Bell Boy year, model and original mot 11 years 4 months ago #78240

Smith Dual controls but only one Four Fifty on boat when purchased
Attachments:

Re:Need help on Bell Boy year, model and original mot 11 years 4 months ago #78241

Better shot of Smith controls below. I will figure this uploading out somehow: says my pic of the lower engine unit exceeds the pixel limit. Boat is 35 miles away in my storage lot, so might have to get a smaller pic later.
Attachments:

Re:Need help on Bell Boy year, model and original mot 11 years 4 months ago #78242

Trying to upload the cropped pic of the motor lower unit. Has this 50514 been modified with a longer shaft?
Thanks, Rich

Re:Need help on Bell Boy year, model and original mot 11 years 4 months ago #78245

Yes it has had the 5" extension added, a very common practice in the 50's

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.360 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online