Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Leaking upper unit ?

Leaking upper unit ? 11 years 4 months ago #78018

Alright folks check this out. How is oil coming from my upper unit??...its a 2 stroke! It runs great, 1978(?) Evinrude 55hp
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Leaking upper unit ? 11 years 4 months ago #78021

It looks to me like you may have a fuel leak, or there is excess fuel coming out of the carbs when it is sitting. The oil, in my opinion is likely 2 stroke oil that was in the fuel, left over after the fuel evaporates. Also, is it an oil injected motor. It could be coming from that system and just running down and showing up there, much as it could with my first theory...Of course, I could be way off. Any one else have any thoughts?

Re: Leaking upper unit ? 11 years 4 months ago #78023

its not oil injected, ok went with your first theory and checked the fuel line, looks a bit wet so I replaced the line. Ill Start it up tomorrow and see what the outcome is. I didn't know there was space between the block and the housing... I'm supprised I haven't hydrolocked it while cruzing in the zoadiac!

Re:Leaking upper unit ? 11 years 4 months ago #78026

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
I believe Smitty is on the right track Jon, looks like gas/two stroke oil mix. Some "spillage" from the carbs is normal, especially when you tilt the motor up without running the gas out of the carb bowls. (I unplug my fuel line when loading on the trailer and let the motor run a minute until it just starts to sputter, it reduces that problem). That looks like a lot though, I'd check the fuel lines as you stated, and consider putting fresh rebuild kits in the carbs sometime in the near future. The gaskets may be leaking some, or the float level set too high, needle valve not closing completely, etc.. It's not hard to refresh the fuel system on these motors, and really is good insurance for trouble free operation IMHO.

Mark

Re: Leaking upper unit ? 11 years 4 months ago #78035

jonthropology,

WELCOME ABOARD, - fwiw, I believe you have received that correct answer.

yours,satx

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re: Leaking upper unit ? 11 years 4 months ago #78048

Thank you guys for your help. So last night when I checked the fuel line under the housing I noticed they were very hard and it looked like the hose clamp may have cut into the line so I replaced it. I started it up about an hour ago after work, went inside and forgot about it until just now, went back outside praying that the ear muffs didn't fall off and it was still running perfect, pumping water great ... and no leak! My next question, since its running so well, should I even mess with the carb? I just rebuilt my mericarb on the bayliner but man was I nervous with all those little parts. and this one looks like it has 2 barrels...is that twice as many parts?

Re: Leaking upper unit ? 11 years 4 months ago #78132

If it is running OK, don't touch the carbs, but if it were mine all the fuel lines would get replaced not just the leaker.

Re: Leaking upper unit ? 11 years 4 months ago #78138

I agree, I'm going to replace all of them. Thanks for the help Jim

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.190 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online