• Page:

TOPIC: Double Score

Double Score 11 years 4 months ago #77835

• CAT*FIN*k
  • CAT*FIN*k's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
I picked up a Glassic fishing boat today. From the psychedelic era a 1968 Boston Whaler Katama 17'with a 1987 Johnson 70 hp VRO.

On the way home I scored a Amphicar for $.99.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Double Score 11 years 4 months ago #77836

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Nice score on the Whaler CAT, but I think the Amphicar may be just a little "stern heavy"! :)

Mark

Re:Double Score 11 years 4 months ago #77837

There is a small Boston Whaler here on Pittsburgh Craiglist. Nice boat. Nice car too. I don't think it floats though.

Re:Double Score 11 years 4 months ago #77925

• CAT*FIN*k
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Thanx guys, the Whaler is an odd-ball, I have not been able to find out much. The Minot and Katama became the Montauk. I've seen it referred to as a Montauk I hull. It does not have the classic Whaler "smirk". The Minot and Katama were side console models with none of the nice wood. The Katama was the higher end model with extras like a windshield. This was originally owned by the FL wildlife department. The guy I bought it from picked it up at a govt. auction. He told me it originally had a side console with a windshield, and removed to go with a center console.

The trailer is a 90's Horizon and was just rebuilt new tires, bunks, Stoltz rollers, wires, and all the nuts and bolts are new stainless. The guy filled up the back of my truck with all the extras like a new bimini top with boot, life jackets, cushions, paddles, prop, anchor, oil etc. All the parts in his emergency kit were labeled in zip-lock baggies.

I'm really happy with the boat & trailer. This week I'm having a friend go over the motor and give me the good the bad and the ugly on that. The prior owner said it needs the stator replaced. Worst case, it needs new power, but I'd still be above water on the rig.

I've been getting some helm seats I have ready for new skins. Have also been looking into electric bow motors. This will be the main power I'll use for fishing the canals here.

The Amphicar is going to be a trailer queen. If I can find another I'd like to convert it back to original.
Attachments:

Re:Double Score 11 years 4 months ago #77953

• CAT*FIN*k
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Weird...before I bought the boat I did some searching for info. Only a couple Katama's came up, and Continuous Wave did not mention them in the 16-17 foot Whalers. I Googled again last night and found all kinds of pics and stories.

Re:Double Score 11 years 4 months ago #77955

Wrong thread whoops.
Attachments:

Re:Double Score 11 years 4 months ago #77981

Gotta love those old whalers , theres a guy over at scream an fly whos modifying a montauk to break the sound barrier lol .
I just got my hands on my dads 13 footer with a 40 Johnson , nice little boat . Whalers really hold their value well .

Re:Double Score 11 years 4 months ago #78268

• CAT*FIN*k
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
gil_72gt-160 wrote:

Gotta love those old whalers , theres a guy over at scream an fly whos modifying a montauk to break the sound barrier lol .
I just got my hands on my dads 13 footer with a 40 Johnson , nice little boat . Whalers really hold their value well .

Nice looking 13', they bring top dollar around here. I searched Scream & Fly, no luck finding the Montauk, do you have a link? I did find a link there to this 15' with a pad, I'm really diggin' the rub rail treatment.

Re:Double Score 11 years 4 months ago #78272

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
"Well Done" doesn't even seem to be a strong enough term Cat, that one's Freakin' Gorgeous!

Mark

Re:Double Score 11 years 4 months ago #78317

You have no idea what it would look like after I used it once. That is a beautiful job and looking boat. It is too pretty to use.

Re:Double Score 11 years 4 months ago #78361

• CAT*FIN*k
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
That is a one classy 15', like a woman in her perfect little black dress.

I thought about going with the mahogany interior. After pricing the wood WOW and knowing the abuse it would get, I think not. The cost of just the wood would buy a very nice electric motor for the bow. Fishing these tight canals it will get much more use than the outboard. I'm sticking with plastic, the Katama's did not come with any mahogany. I do have enough plastic sheet on hand to do an interior like the Sakonnet's.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.201 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online