Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Problem solved: Suzuki DT50

Problem solved: Suzuki DT50 11 years 4 months ago #77363

• Don D.
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
I recently restored the 1975 CacciCraft and mounted a 1984 Suzuki DT50. I ran it for the first time a few weeks ago and it would plane out the boat, but very sluggish. I thought it was a prop issue and tried several different props with very little change in performance. It turns out I was running on 1 cylinder. The CDI unit was bad. I installed a new CDI and ran it yesterday and it is super fast now. I guess I should have checked both cylinders for fire, but it ran smooth with no vibration or miss. I would have thought a twin cylinder running on 1 would be very easy to tell, but apparently Suzuki makes a perfectly balanced engine.

Regards, Don

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Problem solved: Suzuki DT50 11 years 4 months ago #77365

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Glad you got it sorted out Don. ;)

Mark

Re:Problem solved: Suzuki DT50 11 years 4 months ago #77368

I have a Honda and the worst thing I found out about newer outboards is the sensitivity to the ethanol in the gas. Still got that cable soaking in oil. Been busy so I hope it has worked it was around. I quess you'll have to make another vid.

Re: Problem solved: Suzuki DT50 11 years 4 months ago #77369

Don,

Was that a CDI off of the DT50 you got from me? The river is really high today, I went to Ancarrow's Landing and it was up over the sidewalks. I may try another ramp further down river to test the McKee craft.

Hello, World!!

Re: Problem solved: Suzuki DT50 11 years 4 months ago #77382

• Don D.
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Ken, The DT50 I got from you turned out to be a 1981. The CDI on that motor has a totally different wiring harness. The price for a new CDI was $379 (ouch!!) but I found a NOS one down in Florida for $149. I ran it last night at Lake Chesdin. It is a screamer now that its running on both cylinders. I mounted 4 rod holders and will be putting in a CD player today. I spent the first 4 hours this morning replacing all 3 belts on my mower. Had to completely remove the deck to get to them. What a pain. I'll make a new video running the boat soon.

TTYL, Don (Jay)

Re: Problem solved: Suzuki DT50 11 years 4 months ago #77431

It's amazing what you can do with some elbow grease and some determination.

After some chores I cleaned the Glastron and McKee craft but the James river had flooded and there was alot of logs, debris in the water. Ancarrow's Landing was under water.

Where do you put in at Lake Chesdin? I may try that some time.

I hope you try getting that 81 started: would like to see if you have any luck with it!

Hello, World!!

Re: Problem solved: Suzuki DT50 11 years 4 months ago #77481

• Don D.
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Ken, I usually launch on the Dinwiddie side at the public boat landing by the dam (free). Another good place is Seven Springs Marina on Chesterfield side ($7). The lake offers some decent fishing for bass, crappie, perch, catfish ect....It does get choppy and congested during the peak times during summer on weekends. Any day Mon- Fri is decent.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.215 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online