Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: standard steering / non feed back steering

standard steering / non feed back steering 11 years 5 months ago #77119

OK i am looking at the steering and the question is do i go with the standard rotary steering unit or the new (non feed back ) unit with a clutch type cable unit. i don't think we had it on my uncles boat but we didn't have a large motor like the 115 hp. i only want to do this once, i am hoping to go to a dealer and see if i can test the (non feed back) on a boat, then find someone with the standard type. I'm looking for opinions as to what might work the best. i may not be able to tell the different in the two types or it might be a deciding difference . i figure most of the units here are standard but i don't have anything to start with so i can go whole hog. thanks for any suggestions

billy

thanks billy
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:standard steering / non feed back steering 11 years 5 months ago #77170

My only complaint about the no feedback system is that it takes a little effort to turn the wheel. It sort of feels like a steering system where the cable needs to be cleaned and lubed. The standard helms are very easy to turn with the flip of your fingers. But the ease of steering comes at a price - and that is feedback and wandering. Many boats tend to have torque steer - a condition that makes a boat "pull" port or starboard - much like a car that has the front end alignment way out of whack. Some boats torque steer worse than others. It takes constant effort to overcome torque steer on a boat that has it. It's tiring and it's a pain. No feedback can't eliminate torque steer - rather it "holds" the wheel against the torque for you. Set the boat on a course and it will pretty much stay there. I have Teleflex no feedback II rotary helm on my Reinell & I really like it- but that stiffness takes a little getting used to. The boat is far easier to control since installing it, and it's far safer.

Re:standard steering / non feed back steering 11 years 5 months ago #77250

thanks Bruce its funny at times i have all the time in the world and no money and now all the money and no time i am making every effort to get to a marina or a dealer to test the no feedback steering for myself. Joe has the two available, its up to me to decide, thanks guys and girls.

billy

Re:standard steering / non feed back steering 11 years 5 months ago #77255

I love the "No Feedback" system in my '61 Bristol. it's true that you just set the wheel and the boat goes where you point it. I have a 120 Evinrude. I have no problem turning the wheel and I have a very small wheel.
Attachments:

Re:standard steering / non feed back steering 11 years 4 months ago #77498

Phil,

How much effort does it take to get the wheel to start turning, say, compared to a no feedback rotary or rack system? I've always wondered if the NFB I installed was tighter feeling than it should be.

Re:standard steering / non feed back steering 11 years 4 months ago #77581

glad you asked. i was wondering so i called teleflex or seastar as they are known as now. Jim told me (non feed back) requires about 5 lbs. of force to overcome the clutch then smooth sailing . it is (set it and forget it) it wont feel like someone else is trying to steer too. that tugging of regular type set up. i am going with a nfb sport plus tilt rotary helm single cable jobbie myself. i might use the old pirate ship wheel that was on the boat when i got it. i needed the comnplete set up so i wanted to upgrade a bit.

billy

Re:standard steering / non feed back steering 11 years 4 months ago #77586

You are right.... It takes a little extra energy at first to turn the wheel. It just doesn't matter to me. Once turning, it takes little effort.

Re:standard steering / non feed back steering 11 years 4 months ago #77590

I love the no-feedback in mine. I wouldn't use anything else now that I'm spoiled with it. Yes it is a little snugger but it just makes the boat feel like new. I still can spin the 13" wheel with a finger or palm easily without gripping it.

Re:standard steering / non feed back steering 11 years 1 month ago #82732

cap-n billybob wrote:

OK i am looking at the steering and the question is do i go with the standard rotary steering unit or the new (non feed back ) unit with a clutch type cable unit. i don't think we had it on my uncles boat but we didn't have a large motor like the 115 hp. i only want to do this once, i am hoping to go to a dealer and see if i can test the (non feed back) on a boat, then find someone with the standard type. I'm looking for opinions as to what might work the best. i may not be able to tell the different in the two types or it might be a deciding difference . i figure most of the units here are standard but i don't have anything to start with so i can go whole hog. thanks for any suggestions

billy

thanks billy

I'm in the same boat, LOL I couldn't resist the pun :-), with my "new to me" and also my first boat ever.... A 1981 Glastron C-Metric 500 with the "Tower of Power" Mercury 115 (1984 vintage) and the steering is VERY stiff at speed and sometimes it feels like its actually fighting against me. Recently I have learned what torque steer is and the steering cables probably being original may add to the stiff/tight steering that gets worse the faster I go. I learned about the Teleflex NFB 4.2 steering cables and wonder if they would make my outing more enjoyable and easier along with safer. The cables in it now are probably dried as far as lubricant and maybe this is making things worse too? Anybody have anything on old standard versus new NFB with the 4.2 lock to lock?

Thanks
Attachments:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.180 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online