• Page:

TOPIC: tooting my own horn :D

tooting my own horn :D 11 years 5 months ago #77062

• Chance
  • Chance's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
The beast has awoken!!! Got the engine to fire up last night!! Wow is all I can say nearly deafening those two strokes are loud I had nearly forgotten what they sound like. I was even lucky enough to get the original fuel pump to start working! I do have one question for ya'll though. When I started it I have to have the choke on which is fine. But after it has run for 10-15 seconds or so and I take the choke off the engine starts speeding up. I don't want to let her go too far so I tend to stop it at approx. 2000 rpms. I don't have a tach so i'm just guessing by sound. Why is it doing this do I just need to run it for longer? It has run for a grand total of probably 2 or 3 minutes. Please keep in mind it hasn't been run in 20-30-40 years. Could it be possible that my fuel pump is putting too much pressure into my fuel bowls? Any ideas would be great thanks ya'll!!!
P.s. I will start it later and post a video
Sincerely: One very excited fellow

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:tooting my own horn :D 11 years 5 months ago #77068

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Congrats on the fire-up Chance! Is this the Wizard motor you're working on? I'm not familiar with those, but some "generic" things to check would be;
Throttle linkage - is it in, and staying, in the lowest idle position?
Throttle stop screw - ditto above basically, has it been adjusted recently, turned in by accident maybe?
Ignition advance - normally the ignition is advanced with the throttle linkage on two strokes, is it hung up - disconnected, etc.?
Another thing to remember - if you're running the motor on "ear muffs" there's no back pressure on the exhaust and the motor will idle a little higher than when the lower unit (exhaust outlet) is submersed.
Maybe one of the gang more familiar with your motor can shed some light, and some pics and/or video also prove helpful many times. Hang in there buddy, sounds like you're making good progress.

Mark

Re:tooting my own horn :D 11 years 5 months ago #77089

• Chance
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Here's the link on youtube!! Hope ya'll like it. It's a work in progress let me know what ya think. <
>

Re:tooting my own horn :D 11 years 5 months ago #77097

You don't have nearly enough water in that barrel, the leg should be submerged above the waterpump housing so it can prime and pump effectively, hate to see you burn it up. Sounds pretty good to me just look for the adjustments noted above.
Al

Re:tooting my own horn :D 11 years 5 months ago #77098

Painful to watch you run that without water. The impeller will need replaced anyway after all those years. It will run so I think that should be your next objective. Hate to see you hurt it.

Re:tooting my own horn :D 11 years 5 months ago #77099

• Chance
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Alright thanks guys I didn't realize it needed to be that full. I will take a look at the impellers and check on them.

Re:tooting my own horn :D 11 years 5 months ago #77105

Im sure your impellers are done..... Its great to hear it run though, I have been collecting the 3 cyl Mc's for several years, you have the best 60hp they made,(has the small dist) impellers can be found @ the scott guy and others. you have the 3rd wizard ive seen.....ever...,wish it was mine.....lol. I do have a few youtube movies of some of mine if your interested in how they sound, in my favorites Bob has some real nice vid of one , its called, as the day ends, taken at the Beloit show several years back. anyway GOOD luck!

Re:tooting my own horn :D 11 years 5 months ago #77106

a link to many McCulloch's in action

Re:tooting my own horn :D 11 years 5 months ago #77109

• Chance
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Dear PonyBoy,
What type of starters do your 3 cylinders have on them? I have a delco pn# 1113573 and I am having trouble with the head cracking off of it. I wasn't sure if this was a common issue on any of yours. If so what did you do to fix it. Also fellas how do I get my impellers out? I can pull the area where the pumps are apart but not all the way it is still attached to the main drive line and the line that pumps water up? Any advice would be great. I have a book coming next Monday but it isn't a technician book just a owners manual.
I'm sorry to make ya'll cry like that I wish I would have known earlier and now that I know I want to beat myself over the head.

Re:tooting my own horn :D 11 years 5 months ago #77122

I'm not sure about yours but the smaller Scot's have to have the power head pulled off to access the impellers. There are two on mine separated by a plate. One for the bail-o-matic and the other for the power head cooling. You can just replace the cooling one. I'd feel better if they were below the water line. No matter what it means they are started dry. This is what mine looked like. Alas only a 7 1/2 hp.1957
McCulloch bought Scott Atwater out. Of course they produced Firestone, Wizard, Champion and a few others I believe.
www.scott-atwater.com/History.htm
www.scott-atwater.com/Model-ID.htm
www.scottatwaterinfo.com/
home.earthlink.net/~flyingscott/
I don't know if anything here will help but hey it's fun to look at too.

Re:tooting my own horn :D 11 years 5 months ago #77125

the pump is in the lower unit,but probly looks like the one pictured above. if you can take some pics of your motor from the engine area down i should be able to walk you through it, you might have a lil door on the rt side of the leg just below the transom clamp, if so remove the 2 lil screws and you will see a brass conecter to your gear shift, remove 1 of those and the rest that hold the lower on, it should come down at that point, if you dont have the little door,take all the bolts out that hold the lower, it should drop about 1/2" and look for the brass conecter. hope this helps.

Re:tooting my own horn :D 11 years 5 months ago #77134

• Chance
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Dear Pony Boy
I will take a look tomorrow afternoon. I'm not sure if mine has the door you are talking about or not :/ I will post pictures and I will be forever in your debt if you would walk me through it!!!! Like I said i'm a complete newb and any help is great. If we were working on Cat 3600s it wouldn't be problem :D they are a little bit bigger!! But these boat motors seem to be a little different. I wanna do the best job possible so money and time are no issue!!!! Thanks again guys
Sincerely Chance Harder

Re:tooting my own horn :D 11 years 5 months ago #77167

• Chance
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Dear ya'll good news I checked out the impellers and both were in great shape. The rubber was very pliable and soft yet and had spring against the outside edges of the housing like it should. no burn marks or gouges!!! I would say I am one lucky feller. But I still have the problem with my starter cracked on the top :/ know of where I could get any tops?

Re:tooting my own horn :D 11 years 5 months ago #77169

get some alumi weld at your local napa-autozone-parts store and use atleast map gas, put it in a vice,grind the crack a lil bit and weld it, finding starters is a real task.
oh and great luck on the w/p impellers,

Re:tooting my own horn :D 11 years 5 months ago #77188

• shacomm
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Here's a guy in FL who may be willing to part out his motor...

http://orlando.craigslist.org/boa/3779969713.html
Attachments:

1960 Dorsett Belmont w/ 60 HP Flying Scott aka \"Whisky Tango\" dorsettbelmont.blogspot.com/ Read my Jerky Blog at JerkyAficionado.com

Re:tooting my own horn :D 11 years 4 months ago #78133

Ive been out in my shop, I do have a starter like yours, email me if you want it. This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.232 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online