Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Prop size question????

Prop size question???? 11 years 5 months ago #76846

• Don D.
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Hey, I just wanted to get some opinions before ordering a new prop.
I have a 50 hp 2 stroke on my 14' fiberglass tri-hull. It takes a while to plane out and is only running about 25 wide open. It currently has a 10 3/8" X 14 pitch on it. I was thinking of going with a 12" X 8 pitch to get more rpms and better pull out of the hole. With the current prop, it feels like its revving around 2800 (no tach) with the throttle wide open.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Prop size question???? 11 years 5 months ago #76849

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
I think the gang might need more details (and some pics might also be helpful) before advising on this Don, like;
What make and year is your 50hp motor?
Where is your AV (anti-ventilation) plate in relation to the bottom of the hull (keel)?
Which 14' tri-hull are you running?
Has the motor been serviced and tuned lately?
Do you have a tachometer you can mount (at least temporarily)? It's important to have your engine operating in the correct RPM range, for both performance and longevity of your motor!

Generally, that would be a pretty big drop in prop pitch IMHO. Are there any marine dealers or prop shops near you that may work with you trying the next pitch down before making such a drastic change?

Mark

Re:Prop size question???? 11 years 5 months ago #76855

• Don D.
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Motor is a 1984 Suzuki 50hp 2 stroke DT50. 14' Cacci Craft. Motor just tuned and purrs. No temp tach. I actually have a tach that has only 2 wires (black and gray) but I'm not sure how to connect it. The current prop is tiny. It looks like a prop you would see on a 9.9 or 15 hp engine. The cavitation plate is correct (level with keel)as it has been on all the boats I have ever owned. I'm sure this is a prop issue, just not sure which way to go.

Thanks, Don

Re:Prop size question???? 11 years 5 months ago #76931

Going from a 14 down to an 8 is a drastic change. Without a tach reading, you're shooting in the dark. Would be much safer to drop maybe to a 12 and give it a try. Borrow a tach if you can. An inductive shop tach will do the trick for testing purposes.

Re:Prop size question???? 11 years 5 months ago #76954

• Don D.
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
OK- Here is what was settled on. I ordered a Solas 11.8" X 11 pitch. This size came after a bunch of calculations from the prop shop and other mariners in the know. It will be here Friday and I'll run it this weekend to test. I also got the tach working. It is an old brass tach and I am really glad to have it functioning. I'll be able to get a good feel for what this motor is turning. I'll post the results after the water test.

Regards, Don

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.167 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online