• Page:

TOPIC: 5200 cure time mystery solved

5200 cure time mystery solved 11 years 5 months ago #76556

• Normspeed
  • Normspeed's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
I've had 3 instances using 5200 where it took weeks or even months to fully cure. Thought I had a bad batch, bought more for my most recent project, and after a full week it was still tacky enough to transfer to my finger when touched. I did some online research and found some posts on iboats about the need for moisture (humidity) to get this stuff kicking. Where I live humidity lately has been at 15% or less and it's that way a lot.

I took the part (new oak mounting blocks on a fiberglass ventilation scoop that goes in front of my windshield) and put it in a plastic trash bag, placed a wet towel in there, and closed it up tight. In 24 hours the 5200 is now cured to the touch. I'm amazed! I plan to leave it in there for a week to make sure the cure penetrates to make a strong bond.

Just thought I'd share this for others living in low humidity areas. I believe the same applies for the 4200 quick cure stuff too.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:5200 cure time mystery solved 11 years 5 months ago #76558

I work part time in a boatyard. We only use 5200 below the waterline. Thruhulls, swim platform bolt holes, sonar pickups, etc. Yes, you need to dampen it to get it to start curing. We use 4000 for bedding anything above the waterline.
Larry

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.150 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online