Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Cutter Jet Deville

Cutter Jet Deville 11 years 5 months ago #76403

Picked this boat up and trying to find out what year it is and what kind it is. I was told it was a 1958 Cutter Jet Deville, but need help confirming.

I haven't seen any bows like this one. Is there a light that should be mounted on the bow? Are there different bows?

My steering seems like it was originally mounted on the left side. Is this typical?

Fiberglass is in good shape. What could I use to fill the dings? Should I use an epoxy paint or a gell coat?

Thanks,
Reelwood
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Cutter Jet Deville 11 years 5 months ago #76404

Additional image of the bow:
Attachments:

Re: Cutter Jet Deville 11 years 5 months ago #76405

reelwood,

WELCOME ABOARD

yours, satx

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re: Cutter Jet Deville 11 years 5 months ago #76406

reelwood,

NICE boat, trailer.

Wishing that I could find such a light trailer.

yours, satx

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re: Cutter Jet Deville 11 years 5 months ago #76415

• StevieB
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Reelwood,
Very Nice! Do you really need to paint the top? Don't paint unless you have to. If it is just chalked and hazy, try to bring the finish back using the procedurs note within this site. I am currently using the process, and you will not believe the results. It just takes time, not instant gratification, and with that, you will enjoy the fruits of your labor!
On to your other questions, your bow light, step pads, cleats, and stern light may have been an option back then, not standard equipment, and thus not added. As far as your bow, I have not seen one with the little hump in the middle of the step up in the front of your windshield. Very interesting design. Please post some pics of your stern and inside of your boat.
Finally, is there is no data plate available, please look in two places. crawl inside, face your transom, on the lower right side of the auto bailer hole you may see a round ID plate. Also, please examine both of your stern lift handles, and you may find a serial number embossed on one of them.
By the way, I have a 1959 14'3" Owens Speedship that I am restoring, that is very similiar to your new find. I will be glad to help you in any way.

Regards,
StevieB

Re: Cutter Jet Deville 11 years 5 months ago #76421

Your boat is an Owens Speedship. Owens Yacht Company owned Cutter and had the factory produce "Owens" and "Cutter" boats. I think only Owens had the built-in bow light, made to look like a certain Attwood bowlight. It would originally have had lenses like in the photo below (not my boat or photo):

In the 1950's and earlier, steering was not standardized and could be installed at the dealer on the left or the right according to the preferences of the buyer. Most boats had symmetrical dashboards or other features to allow for this.
Attachments:

Re: Cutter Jet Deville 11 years 5 months ago #76445

This Cutter differs from your boat in that the bow light was built into a stylized Cutter V on the foredeck. An additional light had been mounted on the bow when I got it, but I do not believe that it was original.
Attachments:

Re: Cutter Jet Deville 11 years 5 months ago #76482

Karma,

Thanks for the update and picture, yeah it pretty much looks like the picture shown.

I'll need to research and look for a light (or fabricate one out of LED's). I have some hardware not all but I'll keep a look out.

Have you ever painted a fiberglass boat? This one does need painting (I believe it was already painted, bottom a gray and the top a rust color?), so any ideas on what type of paint and spot putty I should use? I see a lot of epoxy paints, what do you think?

And as far as the inside seats and cushions I was going to use the design of a jet deville. Do you know where I could get any more pictures of the Owens speed ship (options, colors, inside seats, etc.?)

Thanks again,

Reelwood.

Re: Cutter Jet Deville 10 years 10 months ago #86205

Andy/Karma73

Thanks for the picture and update a while back; haven’t had a lot of time to work on the boat this year.

I have pulled out the OLD rotted foam from inside the seats by cutting a hole in the fiberglass, removing it and replacing it with the closed cell 2 parts liquid which expanded nicely and then glassed back over it.

Made a couple of wood seat & backs for now.

Still looking for any other pictures and options that came with these types of boats (interior, gauges, motor type and sizes, etc)

Thanks again.

Reelwood

Re: Cutter Jet Deville 10 years 10 months ago #86239

• StevieB
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Reelwood,
Hopefully you received my email answering a few of your questions.
Regards,
StevieB

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.196 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online