Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 2 into 1 Fuel Tanks?

2 into 1 Fuel Tanks? 11 years 6 months ago #76073

I have a background in 2-stroke motorcycles and in those there's always a risk of motor damage when running out of fuel on a high load, high rpm run. I don't know if it's the same with an outboard.

The way my '64 Hydro Swift is set up, it has left and right independent fuel tanks. When one runs out, you unplug it an and plug in the other one, which is a PITA at best. I've seen the 3-way fuel valves at West Marine, but I was wondering if you could connect the two together and have them draw equally. There are not bungs near the bottom, only on top. 2 on each tank.

Thanks guys,
Mark

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:2 into 1 Fuel Tanks? 11 years 6 months ago #76083

Yes you can put a 3 position valve between the two tanks and then put the bulb on the center output to the motor. A "T" fitting would work, but if one of the tanks empties out before the other, the empty tank will draw air & kill the fuel supply. You need to be able to isolate the tanks with a valve

Re:2 into 1 Fuel Tanks? 11 years 6 months ago #76124

Ok, thanks Bruce

Re:2 into 1 Fuel Tanks? 11 years 6 months ago #76151

I have a valve on my boat that I can switch between 3 tanks. It only draws from 1 at a time. When 1 runs out (if your first mate is fast enough) you switch to the next without the motor quitting. If not, your just pump the bulb and restart the motor. The bulb is between the valve and the motor. To my knowledge, running an outboard out of gas does no harm. It quits running because of lack of fuel before the lack of oil would hurt anything. In fact, I usually run the fuel out of mine after a day on the water to keep from gumming things up when it evaporates.
Bill

Re:2 into 1 Fuel Tanks? 11 years 6 months ago #76159

Thanks guys. I'll put in the 3-way.

Re:2 into 1 Fuel Tanks? 11 years 5 months ago #76247

Although somewhat inconvenient when the motor runs out of gas it brings to your attention that you have only got 1 tank left and you best be prudent so you can get home! I personally run 50's OMC motors as my daily runners so what I do is start off on the 4 gallon tank when it runs dry I hook up the 6 gallon and head back, it's unlikely that any amount of current or headwind will eat up 2 extra gallons so I always make it back to the dock!
Al

Re:2 into 1 Fuel Tanks? 11 years 5 months ago #76284

Excellent strategy Al. Thanks.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.174 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online