• Page:

TOPIC: flipping a hull with the deck off

flipping a hull with the deck off 11 years 6 months ago #76007

• thetudor
  • thetudor's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
At some point, I am going to want to flip the hull of the Glastron over to re-do the bottom. I would like to do this before I put the deck on. The hull is currently upright on the trailer. Any thought on how to do this without damaging the hull?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Todd (aka thetudor)
1964 Custom Craft Aqua Ray
1959 Glastron Seaflite
1959 Tomahawk Spirit

Re:flipping a hull with the deck off 11 years 6 months ago #76015

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
I waited until I had the deck back on mine before I flipped it Todd, but there may be some ideas for you in the pics of that process; www.fiberglassics.com/glassic-forums/home/member-projects/new-project-71-glastron-gt-150/page-2
I know Ole Red flipped his current project (Gary's Scimitar) over before putting the deck back on, he used some braces (2" x 2" ?) across the gunnels to keep everything in place and secure.
www.olered.com/GarysBoat.html

Mark

Re:flipping a hull with the deck off 11 years 6 months ago #76028

Hi Thetudor,
I'm hoping to build my boat flipper this weekend ?
Once it's done, and if I can figure out how make a you-tube video,
I'll attach it to this thread.
I don't know how heavy your boat is ? But My "Flipper" will be more than stong enough for what I need.

It's pretty much 2 continuous strap slings around the boat,one sling forward, one aft, going through over head pulleys.

Since pulleys are expensive for the size sling I'm using.
I'm opting for the " You guessed it !" Harbor Freight 10" fixed
Pneumatic tire castors, with the tire removed, for pulleys (15.99 a piece righ now).
I'm going to make a 4x4 treated lumber, (maybe 4x6, for the crossover) overhead gantry to hang the "pulleys"
Then sling the boat. As you pull down on the slings, the pulleys turn and the slings conform to the shape of the boat hull, and it rolls right over. The beauty is, (or should be), when you let go of the sling. the boat stays at that position, and doesn't roll back on you, because the center of gravity stays put.

I hope I'm right ? We shall see ???

Re:flipping a hull with the deck off 11 years 6 months ago #76036

I found just what you need, its not that far away from me so let me know if I should pick it up for you. you. greenbay.craigslist.org/bod/3704393323.html

Re:flipping a hull with the deck off 11 years 6 months ago #76039

• thetudor
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
68jet, are you going to deliver?

Todd (aka thetudor)
1959 Glastron Seaflite
1959 Tomahawk Spirit

Re:flipping a hull with the deck off 11 years 6 months ago #76041

You can build a scaffold of sorts to support the hull when flipping.

Similar to what Gus did: forums.iboats.com/boat-restoration-building-hull-repair/love-necessity-pride-521706-8.html

Post #746 has the pix

Re:flipping a hull with the deck off 11 years 6 months ago #76049

I put a couple of transom ski rope eyes in the transom, and lifted the back end (the heavy part) with my engine hoist while two relatives gently flipped it over onto pillows and old blankets on the driveway. Worked just fine.

Frank

Re:flipping a hull with the deck off 11 years 6 months ago #76052

Frank is right. I do the same. I picked up two free mattresses and just roll the hull over on them. I've done this 6 times now. Works great. The ski rope eyes help if the boat has them but not totally necessary.
Tom

Re:flipping a hull with the deck off 11 years 6 months ago #76055

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
I would advise some bracing between the sides. Here's a pic when I flipped my woodie although about 20 heavier than a glass shell. The flip might go smooth without the braces but there's a chance you could distort the hull and the top just won't fit right without some coaxing. When I flipped my glass Herters I put braces across and still had a difficult time getting the top to fit back on. I flipped both using two pulleys, one front and one back with just ropes slung around, inching the turn around. Had them land on some old lawn furniture cushions.
Attachments:

Re:flipping a hull with the deck off 11 years 6 months ago #76061

• thetudor
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Some good ideas here. I was actually thinking about putting a series of braces on it, like Sabre did and taking it to a boat ramp and flipping it in the water. Not sure how I could work that with a trailer, though. This is a ways off, but I'm planning ahead.

Todd (aka thetudor)
1959 Glastron Seaflite
1959 Tomahawk Spirit

Re:flipping a hull with the deck off 11 years 6 months ago #76164

I see all the great suggestions for flipping the boat, but since I said I post pics ? Here are a few.

I didn't get to finish flipper yet, but here is where it's at.
The reason it's not done is because of the pick-up truck curse.... As you all know, the pick-up truck was invented to haul all of your stuff around.
It is also great to haul everyone else's stuff around, plus the haul-ee has the benefit of free help.... the hauler ! I spent a good portion of the weekend, moving a friend.

I'm about 9 hours of work into this right now (working alone) So it's a pretty easy weekend project. I'm also about 320 bucks lighter right now, But had I waited for free deck wood off
of Craigslist, I'd be at 220 dollars for supplies. Now that the rain will be here for a good portion of the week ? It looks like next weekend for completion.

I'm a chunky 206 lbs and stood in one of the slings to make sure it will hold the weigh of a boat. I'd rather I fell to the ground instead of the boat... Ha-Ha-Ha !!!

Re:flipping a hull with the deck off 11 years 6 months ago #76221

The flipper is very stable forward to aft, and probably stable enough port to starboard, but I'm going to make out-riggers for it anyway... just in case.
This will be used a lot, as in multi-funtional. It will be a gantry crane, boat flipper, 3 tier boat rack, and at Halloween, hanging dummies from the gallows ?

BTW... if you ever get the Harbor Freight 10" pneumatic tire casters, Tighten the split rim bolts, they are only finger tight.
Now I know why folks say they go flat fast... probably the loose rim pinching the tube ?

Lastly: How do you get text under a picture ?
"reason for editing" didn't do it ?

Re:flipping a hull with the deck off 11 years 6 months ago #76232

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5

How do you get text under a picture ?

Hit the edit button after inserting your pic, and type in your text after the last [/img], Chuck

Mark

Re:flipping a hull with the deck off 11 years 6 months ago #76239

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Looks like a great setup, should work without a mattress. Put a couple boards across your trailer and let her back down.

Re:flipping a hull with the deck off 11 years 6 months ago #76262

Thetudor,
I'm sorry I went off topic, with flipping with the deck off.
I went more for just flipping it by myself or with help from a neighbor.
I saw this process done at an ACBS Niagara Frontier Chapter workshop
many years ago, with pulleys hung from the ceiling of the Old Pierce Arrow plant in Buffalo. So I knew it would work.
I started making down riggers, but I didn't have long enough bolts ? So I said screw it, lets try it without them.

So here it is: Once the boat was in the slings, it took all of 20 seconds to flip it.
There was some roll back at certain positions, but all that would be needed is a clamp stop on the strap, when it hits the pulley.
Doesn't matter which strap you pull on, the boat just rolls over.
Also the straps didn't try to walk on the hull either.

Next step will be rigging up a strap and come-a-long to pick the boat off the trailer to get it into the slings. Another trip to Harbor Freight should do the trick ?

Re:flipping a hull with the deck off 11 years 6 months ago #76271

Heres how i flipped a 21 foot Glastron/Carlson , took less than ten minutes

Re:flipping a hull with the deck off 11 years 6 months ago #76282

Gil,
That's great if you have two front loaders lying around. ;)

Chuck,
Great job and thanks for the heads u on the 10" pneumatics. Bought four myself and haven't used them yet. I planned on using the Gantry I made, like yours and my engine cherry picker. Planned on using the wheels for a roll around cart to put the boat on after flipping, so I can roll it in and out of the shed to work on it when it's nice outside.

Bob

Re:flipping a hull with the deck off 11 years 5 months ago #76293

• thetudor
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
There are some great ideas here, Chuck, if you could post some pics of the top of your rig, I would appreciate it. I can probably set up something similar in my steel garage with 11 ft bays.

The real crux of my original question was flipping the boat without the deck on. What would I need to add to reinforce it to keep the shape and prevent damage. Here's a pic of what I have now:
Attachments:

Todd (aka thetudor)
1959 Glastron Seaflite
1959 Tomahawk Spirit

Re:flipping a hull with the deck off 11 years 5 months ago #76295

Todd,
Are you planning on hanging the pulleys from the ceiling ? if not...
The rig was made from 4x4x10 foot for the base rails.
The verticals and top cross overs were 4x4x 8 foot. The vertical post spacing is 5 ft, because this boat is only 11 ft long. I'll move the posts out for my 15 ft boat project.
The pins were 1/2 rebar 6"long
The 45 degree braces, for the bottom, are 2x4x2-1/2 ft, tip to tip (can get (4) made from a 2x4x10ft)
The braces at the top are 2x4x 3ft tip to tip.
At the very top, I crossed (2) 2x4x8 ft one on top of the 4x4, and one on the bottom of the 4x4
All braces are fastened by 1/4 x 4" lag screws with a 1/4 washer
Because of the shape and bolt pattern of the top pulleys (ridged pneumatic caster without the tire) I used 1/4 x 4-1/2 or 5" bolts with a 1/4 stacked on a 5/16, stacked on a 3/8 washer.
The bolt pattern (hole slot sized for 3/8 fastener) of the caster plate is real close to the outside faces of the 4x4, so I drilled a 5/16 hole and used the 1/4 bolts.
The straps are a 20 ft recovery tow strap from Harbor Freight, and a quick link I bought at Lowes.
Since the beam on the boat was approx 52", I spaced the pulleys at 42" (to prevent some roll back, if I decided to partially roll the boat)
Tires to move the gantry (ONLY) are 10" pneumatic (2) ridged, and (2) swivel. I will not flip a boat while the unit is just on the tires. That is why I have the concrete blocks

If you want ? I'll draw it up, with sizes and material list ?

BTW... if you didn't know ? Tractor Supply is the place to get the hardware. It's sold by the pound, not by the piece like The Depot or Lowes

(ex. I bought (8) 1/4 x 5" bolts, (8) nuts, (16) 1/4" washers, and (16) 5/16" washers for a little over 7 bucks at the Depot)
For the same " little over 7 bucks" from Tractor Supply I got (8) 1/4 x 5" bolts, (8) nuts, (16) 1/4" washers, (16) 5/16" washers (16) 3/8" washers,
(36) 1/4 x 4" lag screws, and (36) 1/4 washers)

As for flipping with the deck off ?
If it were me and my boat ? Because the straps on my set-up are only in two places, that is where I'd put the supports from gunwale to gunwale .
I'd probably span supports on the area both sides of the straps and clamp the supports onto the hull (with a sandwich piece on the outside of the hull and with a top cap, over the edge of the fiberglass, rather than drill and screw thru the hull....
but I don't know how much racking occurs on your hull without the deck on ? So more supports may be needed, and cross brace down to your stringers ?

Because I'm new at this, there will be trial and error, on my end ? But, I live by the rule "When in doubt, make it stout !"
I have plenty of cans of, "stop.. open.. and "so, now what do I do ?" think juice (Keystone light)

I do want to warn you ? My boat isn't that heavy, so tow recovery straps (not for lifting) work fine for me, and I'd only go up to a 500 pound boat on this system ?
After that ? I'd be stacking a lot of old tires on the ground, in case something breaks, and the boat falls ?

Re:flipping a hull with the deck off 11 years 5 months ago #76372

Re:flipping a hull with the deck off 9 years 9 months ago #104004

Remember the boat flipper I made ?
I guess it holds more weight than I thought ?
The top 4x4 had a nice bow in it though...

BTW.. this was when it warm earlier this year
Attachments:

Re:flipping a hull with the deck off 9 years 9 months ago #104005

Maybe hang a top strap from the other beam too, then each only take 1/2 the load, nice job.

Re:flipping a hull with the deck off 9 years 9 months ago #104006

gotta love those tractors..
Attachments:

Re:flipping a hull with the deck off 9 years 9 months ago #104007

showoff !
but I bet mine cost less ? ha-ha-ha

love ball hitch hooked to the bucket !!!!

Re:flipping a hull with the deck off 9 years 9 months ago #104019

Holy ,all I been doing is 2 guys lif it up and flip it over.the deck I just do it by myself no hoist just by hand..my Glastron, delmar, u-2, just men power.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.277 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online