Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Looking for this boat!

Looking for this boat! 11 years 6 months ago #75999

Hi gang. I'm on a quest... looking for this old SPEED QUEEN boat that used to be in our family. My brother owned it for many years before he passed in 1996. He bought, used, and kept it in St. Charles MO and House Springs MO. I used to waterski behind it on the Mississippi and multiple lakes in MO when I was young.

I don't think there were many like it, hard to find any information on this model, but believe it to be an early 1960s (1962 or 1963 based on the motor). It was about 18 1/2' long, small cuddy cabin, aqua blue and white, had a Gale sovereign 60hp outboard motor. Last we heard, it was sold to a family in Eureka MO, but that was many years ago.

I know it's a long shot, my hope is it stayed in the local area and did not end up in a landfill, and someone here might have a lead on it. Long story short, I've contacted previous owners that led to a dead end. If you have any information that may help us find it, please contact me. 210-six zero one-9914. Please leave a message if I can't answer.

Thanks so much for your help... there is a lot of sentimental value in this boat for us. If I'm able to locate and acquire it, it will get a full restoration to make it like new again.

Thank you, Mark
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Looking for this boat! 11 years 6 months ago #76002

catchnedge,

WELCOME ABOARD.

And all this time I thought that a SPEED QUEEN was a washing machine???
(CHUCKLE)

yours, satx

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re: Looking for this boat! 11 years 6 months ago #76009

Thanks. Yea, you're right... that's pretty much what I find when I do a search for Speed Queen.

Re:Looking for this boat! 11 years 6 months ago #76016

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Welcome back, Mark, and good luck on your search! There's a huge auction coming up out there in your neck of the woods soon, we'll all have to keep our eyes open for ya'. ;)

www.fiberglassics.com/fiberglassics-forums/home/main-forum/huge-boat-and-motor-auction-dec-1-2#74780

Mark

Re:Looking for this boat! 11 years 6 months ago #76017

Speed Queen boats were made by Glastex Co. of Monmouth, IL:
www.fiberglassics.com/library/Speed_Queen

Also look at the Sea Sprite section of the Library.

Andreas

Re:Looking for this boat! 11 years 6 months ago #76019

Looks like the Sea Sprite Catalina Cruiser.

Todd (aka thetudor)
1964 Custom Craft Aqua Ray
1959 Glastron Seaflite
1959 Tomahawk Spirit

Re:Looking for this boat! 11 years 6 months ago #76022

MarkS wrote:

Welcome back, Mark, and good luck on your search! There's a huge auction coming up out there in your neck of the woods soon, we'll all have to keep our eyes open for ya'. ;)

www.fiberglassics.com/fiberglassics-forums/home/main-forum/huge-boat-and-motor-auction-dec-1-2#74780

Mark, that is incredible, thanks for the info... I will keep tabs on that and see if I can make it.

Re:Looking for this boat! 11 years 6 months ago #76024

thetudor wrote:

Looks like the Sea Sprite Catalina Cruiser.

Andreas and Todd... thanks!

I think you're right Todd, that looks exactly like the Sea Sprite Catalina Cruiser. What has thrown me a little is that my brother's boat definitely had the "Speed Queen" name on the side of the cabin... but what's interesting about that advertisement in the "possibly 1964 brochure" is that the Sea Sprite Catalina Cruiser sure looks like it also had the "Speed Queen" name on the side. I'm guessing that they were in transition from Speed Queen to Sea Sprite, still using the Speed Queen name on their boats even though it was a different comapny at the time. I thought I read somewhere that they stopped using the Speed Queen name in 1964, so that brochure may actually be a 1963.

In any case, that's the boat for sure... same configuration all around.

THANKS AGAIN! Hope I can find it!

Re:Looking for this boat! 11 years 6 months ago #76032

Yes, "Speed Queen" brand boats were made by Glastex Co. The company eventually dropped any reference to "Speed Queen" and adopted the "Sea Sprite" name. There was some overlap. The "Sea Sprite" boats were actually made for Al Harding's Sea Sprite Boat Company, Inc. which was originally located at North Webster, Indiana. They had their own brand of boats but they did not manufacture them. They contracted with Glastex to make the boats at Monmouth, IL. When sales increases exceeded capacity at Glastex, Sea Sprite also awarded building contracts to Bee Boats of Paxton, IL.

Harding moved to Monmouth, IL in 1964 and set up a new Sea Sprite Boat Company at 625 South First Street. Boats continued to be made for them by Glastex at 600 West Tenth Avenue in Monmouth.

In 1968 Sea Sprite was sold by Harding to Melvin Redeker, formerly of Bee Boat. Redeker moved the molds and tooling from Glastex to his new manufacturing operation at Crescent City, IL. For the first time in their history Sea Sprite actually manufactured their own boats.

Glastex transitioned into the "Sea Star" boat line in 1968.

Andreas

Re: Looking for this boat! 11 years 6 months ago #76051

Catchnedge,
While searching the northwoods of Idaho, I found a Bellboy Banshee and a Speedqueen sitting in a gated fenced yard. For over a year on my way to Coeur d Alene I drove by to see if anyone was home or the gate open. Finally one day I saw the gate open so I drove in and knocked on the door. I was looking for a parts boat for my already in progress Banshee resto. The lady said her husband had just passed away about 6 mos ago. He had purchased them at an auction in CdA. as resto projects, but unfortunately brain cancer got him first.
She told me that I could have the Banshee - It was actually in great shape. I trailered it home. She said she wanted some money for the Speedqueen, but I just didn't have any room for another boat at that moment, but I told her I would talk to my brother in Seattle. He ended up coming over and I think he gave her $400 for the boat, Merc and trailer. He took it back to Seattle and cleaned her up and brought it back to our lake place on Priest Lake,ID. At our Boat Show this last July he sold it to a couple of girls that wanted it real bad. It is currently at the Priest Lake Marina waiting for the summer boating season.
I have a good pic of it but my photo scanner gave up the ghost and the one I ordered will not be here till next week. It looks exactly like your boat except it has a newer Merc on it. He had the canvas that went between the front windshield and the mini cabin.
I'll post the pic next week when I get the scanner.
Tom Miller

Re: Looking for this boat! 11 years 6 months ago #76056

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
If you could blow up your picture and catch the registration number it might give you a lead. Usually the numbers remain with the boat even with a different owner. Check with your state DNR.
Cal

Re:Looking for this boat! 11 years 6 months ago #76144

thompsonboat wrote:

Yes, "Speed Queen" brand boats were made by Glastex Co. The company eventually dropped any reference to "Speed Queen" and adopted the "Sea Sprite" name. There was some overlap. The "Sea Sprite" boats were actually made for Al Harding's Sea Sprite Boat Company, Inc. which was originally located at North Webster, Indiana. They had their own brand of boats but they did not manufacture them. They contracted with Glastex to make the boats at Monmouth, IL. When sales increases exceeded capacity at Glastex, Sea Sprite also awarded building contracts to Bee Boats of Paxton, IL.

Harding moved to Monmouth, IL in 1964 and set up a new Sea Sprite Boat Company at 625 South First Street. Boats continued to be made for them by Glastex at 600 West Tenth Avenue in Monmouth.

In 1968 Sea Sprite was sold by Harding to Melvin Redeker, formerly of Bee Boat. Redeker moved the molds and tooling from Glastex to his new manufacturing operation at Crescent City, IL. For the first time in their history Sea Sprite actually manufactured their own boats.

Glastex transitioned into the "Sea Star" boat line in 1968.

Andreas

Andreas, wow, lots of great info... did you live in this area or have a connection to one of the companies? Regardless, thanks for filling in some of the gaps!
Mark

Re: Looking for this boat! 11 years 6 months ago #76145

Fiddyninefins wrote:

Catchnedge,
While searching the northwoods of Idaho, I found a Bellboy Banshee and a Speedqueen sitting in a gated fenced yard. For over a year on my way to Coeur d Alene I drove by to see if anyone was home or the gate open. Finally one day I saw the gate open so I drove in and knocked on the door. I was looking for a parts boat for my already in progress Banshee resto. The lady said her husband had just passed away about 6 mos ago. He had purchased them at an auction in CdA. as resto projects, but unfortunately brain cancer got him first.
She told me that I could have the Banshee - It was actually in great shape. I trailered it home. She said she wanted some money for the Speedqueen, but I just didn't have any room for another boat at that moment, but I told her I would talk to my brother in Seattle. He ended up coming over and I think he gave her $400 for the boat, Merc and trailer. He took it back to Seattle and cleaned her up and brought it back to our lake place on Priest Lake,ID. At our Boat Show this last July he sold it to a couple of girls that wanted it real bad. It is currently at the Priest Lake Marina waiting for the summer boating season.
I have a good pic of it but my photo scanner gave up the ghost and the one I ordered will not be here till next week. It looks exactly like your boat except it has a newer Merc on it. He had the canvas that went between the front windshield and the mini cabin.
I'll post the pic next week when I get the scanner.
Tom Miller

Tom, I have never seen another, I would love to see some pictures of that boat, thanks... I have forgotten what the inside looked like, other than I can remember the two back seats, beside the splash well, had a "half rounded" back that was very unique.
Mark

Re: Looking for this boat! 11 years 6 months ago #76147

63 Sabre wrote:

If you could blow up your picture and catch the registration number it might give you a lead. Usually the numbers remain with the boat even with a different owner. Check with your state DNR.
Cal

Cal, last I heard it ended up in Franklin County MO... so I gave the main DMV office (they handle boat registration in MO) a call last week, wouldn't give out any details on registration number due to privacy concerns. Dead end.

I can read the registration numbers off the picture clearly, except the last two letters... "MO 3197 MN" ...or... NN ...or... WN, tough to make out the last two. And I'm trying to confirm this through my brothers wife. But again, may not help even if I have it accurate.

THANKS!

Mark

Re: Looking for this boat! 11 years 6 months ago #76150

And it had a little flip out table between the seats too.
Tom

Re:Looking for this boat! 11 years 6 months ago #76167

Andreas[/quote]

Andreas, wow, lots of great info... did you live in this area or have a connection to one of the companies? Regardless, thanks for filling in some of the gaps!
Mark[/quote]

NO, I did not grow up anywhere near any of the locations mentioned. Nor do I have any connection with these companies or people.

I do research into boating and various boat brands. I write articles for various magazines and websites. I contribute to the Glassic Library here on Fiberglassics. I do this for the enjoyment of the research and writing. I do not get paid.

I interviewed Melvin Redeker in person. I spent a day researching at Monmouth, IL

I also attempt to correct the incorrect information and myths that are floating around.

Andreas

Re:Looking for this boat! 11 years 5 months ago #76299

Finally got my scanner.. Fed Ex mis-routed it. Nice way of saying they lost it.
Anyhow here is the only pic of the Speed Queen I have. My brother may have a few more. Pretty similar huh?
Tom Miller
Attachments:

Re:Looking for this boat! 11 years 5 months ago #76377

Tom, thanks for posting that picture... priceless. Sure does look similar, different hull color but I remember those back seats, and looks like period correct skis to go along with it. :) That flip out table between the two back seats, fold/secure down into place? Gonna add that to the research folder. Like the way it looks there in the water... what a classic, but I'm biased to this one of course.

If it turns out convenient for you, would love to see any more pictures you run across... especially of the interior of the cuddy.

Also, If you ever happen to see the folks who own her, and hear that they're trying to sell her... (long shot, right?), I would be interested to talk with them. Of course, would rather own the actual one my brother had, but no telling where it is.

Mark

Re:Looking for this boat! 11 years 5 months ago #76394

I was looking on Craigslist out here in reno nv and there is a boat just like the one your looking for its on sale for $350 check it out

Re:Looking for this boat! 11 years 5 months ago #76397

Not the same, the craigslist ad is for a Wizard Marlin:

reno.craigslist.org/boa/3739971517.html

Re:Looking for this boat! 10 years 3 months ago #96327

Heres a couple pics from when I owned it.
Attachments:

Re:Looking for this boat! 10 years 3 months ago #96328

Heres a couple pics from when I owned it. The Title listed it as a "Sea Sprite speed queen catalina cruiser.
Attachments:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.244 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online