Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: New (to me) '64 Hydro Swift

New (to me) '64 Hydro Swift 11 years 6 months ago #75869

Hello,

I'm a lifelong sailboater and just got my first motorboat, a 1964 Hydro Swift 17' V Soft-top from the original owner. It hasn't run since 1988. It was repowered in 1968 with a Mercury 1250 125 H.P. and is all original and 100% complete. Really dirty and oxidized and the original carpet turns to dust when you touch it. windshield is cracked in two places. Typical minor stress cracks and cut wires.

Since I can't really find much info on the boat, I plan on just cleaning it up and getting it mechanically sound and using it this season while I try to find out if it's worth it to go any further. In any case, I think it'll be pretty nice as a clean unrestored boat.

I've fogged the cylinders and am waiting for my water pump kit. I'm hoping I have compression and no leaks.

I'm looking for a source for any info on this boat. I've seen the info on this site but there's nothing for the '64. Does anybody know how I can find out which model I have?

Thanks

Mark

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:New (to me) '64 Hydro Swift 11 years 6 months ago #75870

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Welcome Mark, glad to have you join us. I see what you mean about the 1964 info missing in the library, hopefully one of the gang here may be able to help. Some pics would help stir up some interest and may help in the id. ;)

Mark

Re:New (to me) '64 Hydro Swift 11 years 6 months ago #75872

Welcome Hydro Mark. I'm also a sailboater and my first viable motorboat was my 1964 Custom Craft. You will learn to strike a balance between teh two. Posting some pictures will help with the ID.

Todd (aka thetudor)
1964 Custom Craft Aqua Ray
1959 Glastron Seaflite
1959 Tomahawk Spirit

Re:New (to me) '64 Hydro Swift 11 years 6 months ago #75876

Welcome to the world of power. Now the only holding you back is Opec and our own govt. regulations. Unless your on the Allegheny River where the locks are all closed to Private boats.

Re:New (to me) '64 Hydro Swift 11 years 6 months ago #75884

Thanks for the warm welcome, guys. I'll get some pics up in a bit.

@robert-lorigan - Since I live in Kalifornistan, it's even more expensive!

Re:New (to me) '64 Hydro Swift 11 years 6 months ago #75885

Ok, here's some pics.

Note the two, almost identical cracks in the windshield at the top near the curves. I was going to try to solvent weld them and if that didn't work, I was thinking about cutting it down for more of a speedster look. But like I said, the boat is 100% complete and unmolested so I'm hesitant. But if originality is not important on this boat, I will probably do it.

I read the thread on making a new one, but the top trim has a groove for the top and the top is in like-new condition with the Hydro Swift tag sewn in so I'd like to retain it if possible. Thoughts?

Thanks
Mark

Re: New (to me) '64 Hydro Swift 11 years 6 months ago #75887

Hydro Mark,

WELCOME ABOARD. - NICE rig.

yours, satx

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re: New (to me) '64 Hydro Swift 11 years 6 months ago #75888

Thanks

Re:New (to me) '64 Hydro Swift 11 years 6 months ago #75890

• STN19
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
nice boat! I love how the gauge is built into the steering wheel

Re:New (to me) '64 Hydro Swift 11 years 6 months ago #75895

Thanks

Re:New (to me) '64 Hydro Swift 11 years 6 months ago #75896

Try 3M Vinyl Cleaner and Restorer on the seats. Brought my 64 CC seats back to life. May need a few coats.

Looks good, should be a nice ride.

Todd (aka thetudor)
1964 Custom Craft Aqua Ray
1959 Glastron Seaflite
1959 Tomahawk Spirit

Re:New (to me) '64 Hydro Swift 11 years 6 months ago #75904

• MarkS
Looks like you have a pretty nice "survivor" there Mark, congrats. I think I (just my opinion, everybody's got one right!?) would try to fit a new piece of polycarbonate (Lexan, or whatever brand you have access to) into your existing frame. Too cool having the original navy top, etc. (Plus that would preserve the profile and nice lines of your Glassic.) I've run with and without a windshield, definitely prefer NOT having the wind in my face most of the time. A "shorty" will deflect some of it, but not like the original height. ;)

The 3M stuff Todd (the tudor) is talking about works great, as does Spray9 Marine formula followed by 303 Protectant.

Mark

Re:New (to me) '64 Hydro Swift 11 years 6 months ago #75910

Thanks guys. I'm going to pick up some of that vinyl cleaner today. I also agree with the windshield. I really don't want to modify it and I want to be able to put that top on. Never knew it was called a Navy top, but I can see it now and I like it...at least for pictures! If I can't fix it, then I'll start looking at the lexan.

My new big issue now is what to do about the carpet. Does everyone just glue in new carpet? All the newer boats have removable carpet. Was thinking about glue carpet on the sides and Durabak or bedliner on the floor with snap down carpet on top. It sure would be nice to be able to rinse out the boat. Especially since it's mostly going to get salt water exposure.

Here's some more progress pictures.

Re:New (to me) '64 Hydro Swift 11 years 6 months ago #75912

Nice project, and about cutting windshields down. He He Mine is now 6 inches high.Made a tape edge where i wanted to cut and cut it with a very thin cut off saw disc and air powered disc. It's just sitting there in this pics. I did trim the ends different also. It is/was in pretty bad shape so no loss.
Attachments:

Re:New (to me) '64 Hydro Swift 11 years 6 months ago #75928

Thanks Robert. If I can't fix mine I think I will cut it down but also make a new full size one.

Here's a few more progress pics. The carpet is proving a little more difficult to remove than expected. Also, I started sanding the foredeck a bit to see what I have and it looks pretty good. The blue gelcoat seems nice and thick too. I don't think it's ever been rubbed out.

[

]

Re:New (to me) '64 Hydro Swift 11 years 6 months ago #75961

• MarkS
Some of them look great with a shorty windshield on them, yours came to mind right after I posted Robert. I was just mainly thinking of the (O.E.) top Mark has that secures to the windshield frame, gotta be a way to incorporate that into the restoration/renovation. Sure didn't mean to slight your efforts, it looks great!

Mark

Re:New (to me) '64 Hydro Swift 11 years 6 months ago #75981

Mark my windshield is/was in horrible shape. I'm always on the look out for a better one. But this one looks better cut up. If it would have been good enough it would have went back on without another thought. I just don't have the funds available quickly. I missed a nice free Corson boat while I was just out of the hospital but could not go get it or load it myself at the time. It was probably in better shape than my boat by the looks. OH WELL ,such is life.
Attachments:

Re:New (to me) '64 Hydro Swift 11 years 5 months ago #76350

Looking good for 50 year old gelcoat......

Re:New (to me) '64 Hydro Swift 11 years 5 months ago #77182

Moved the Mercontrol up and forward for a more comfortable standing operation.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Re:New (to me) '64 Hydro Swift 11 years 4 months ago #77535

• Kern
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
I do not know what your planned budget is so do not know if my solution is for you. It would seem to me that keeping your upper frame and original top would be a priority.

I had to have a new windshield made for my boat and contacted EDS Plastics in South Lyon, MI. I took my old shield to Ed and he had to make a tool and duplicated it perfectly. My windshield has a compound curvature with the wraparound ends and a curve from top to bottom.

He also polished my frame and provided improved mounting screw anchors. The total cost was $ 600.

I also asked him about the choice of acrylic (plexiglass) versus polycarbonate. He indicated that the polycarbonate was stronger and more resistant to impacts but tended to scratch more easily. I work with polycarbonate headlamp covers and have noted the scratching issue.

I have no affiliation with Ed other than being a satisfied customer.

Kern Fischer
Attachments:

Re:New (to me) '64 Hydro Swift 11 years 4 months ago #77597

Thanks Kern. That new one is really nice. Unfortunately, I'm on the west coast and would need to find someone local. $600 seems pricey. But then again so is gas for a 6 cyl 2-stroke.;) That sure looks good though. Thanks.

Mark

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.259 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online