Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: In Memory of Mike "The Pirate"...

In Memory of Mike "The Pirate"... 11 years 6 months ago #75730

• Eduardo
  • Eduardo's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5
...some of us local Golden State Glassics (GSG) members, out of the Delta and Sacramento area are hosting the 1st Annual Day on the Delta. We will dedicate this year's event in honor of Mike aka "The Pirate. Though he lived almost 3 hours from the Delta, he occasionally would join in on GSG's Big Dog Lunch Runs (BDLR) during the winter months. He enjoyed being around fellow glassheads and we enjoyed his company.

Here's a copy of the thread that I posted on GSG:

On March 10th, we had our Big Dogs Lunch Run (BDLR), which is usually the last of the winter BDLR. Other than the West Marine show in Sacramento, opening day for boaters, where local glassic owners participate in a show and shine, we rarely plan a run in the month of April. So I was thinking of organizing a “Day on the Delta". I’ve talked to a few locals already and they are onboard.

We had so much fun last month that I wanted to have another get together and not wait a couple of months before the next gathering. The weather and water conditions were perfect last month, and this is especially a nice time of the year. Spring has arrived.

This would be different from the past Delta runs though. I’d like this 2013 Day on the Delta to be more of an entire day activity where people can come when they like and hang out till the early evening or as late as they like. This would be similar to how Jer runs their Day in the Bay in August for his local glassic community, OldBoatsRule. There were several of us NorCal folks who participated in 2011 and we had a great time, from when we arrived early in the morning until we watched the sunset on the Pacific Ocean. We’ll arrive early and setup a picnic area in the park with lots of room for kids and adults to run around and play games. We’ll just plan it like a family style picnic, potluck, and very informal. This will be at Hogback Island Recreation Facility. We’ve launched here many times before but never did a picnic there. This Delta facility is for people who enjoy fishing, recreational boating, rowing, picnics and barbecues. We’ll arrive early and find a nice spot in this small park. Once everyone gets settled, we can start having lunch. Afterwards, we’ll plan a fast 30 mile cruise around Grand Island. We could even stop at the small Delta town of Walnut Grove, mile 13, for some ice cream for the kids, and continue on for another 17 miles and return to the park. This 30 mile cruise and ice cream would be around 2 hours give and take then we'll be back at the picnic for rest and play. Mercedes and maybe Arlene will stay behind to watch our stuff in the park. Maybe for those anglers out there , arrive early, launch the boat and fish for a couple of hours. Heck who wants to fish in the morning, picnic with the glassic family, go on 30 mile glassic cruise and ice cream, then return, relax, and play games in the park. I do. And if you’d like, we can even go on a very short sunset run. Who knows, the best part of this is that it’s whatever you want to do and come and go as you please.

The hard part was figuring out what weekend would be best. The 20th of April is the West Marine Sacramento show, and anything after that is too close to the Lake Millerton weekend meet. So, I decided on Saturday, April 6th. This date is a month after the March 10th BDLR and a month before the Millerton meet in Fresno. It's also two weeks before the West Marine show.

In honor of Mike aka “The Pirate”

Here's one of the reason why I want to do this. I’d like to dedicate this 2013 Day on the Delta, in honor of our glassic friend, Mike aka “The Pirate”. Though he wasn’t anywhere near the Delta, lived in Dayton, NV, he liked being out on the Delta and most of all he enjoyed just being around us crazy glassheads when he could.

Eduardo & Mercedes

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:In Memory of Mike "The Pirate"... 11 years 6 months ago #75732

• MarkS
I believe Mike is up there watching with a big smile on his face right now, thank you Eduardo! :)

Mark

Re:In Memory of Mike "The Pirate"... 11 years 6 months ago #75734

yes eduardo thanks for thinking of mike,john

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:In Memory of Mike "The Pirate"... 11 years 6 months ago #75735

• Neil
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
God Bless you Eduardo.

Neil and Mary Ousnamer

Re:In Memory of Mike "The Pirate"... 11 years 6 months ago #75739

Nice dedication. God Bless.

Re:In Memory of Mike "The Pirate"... 11 years 6 months ago #75741

if i was within driving distance of a few hours i would join you. kudos to you. ron

Re:In Memory of Mike "The Pirate"... 11 years 6 months ago #75763

Outstanding Eduardo, good on ya!!!!!!!!!!!! Wish I could be there, but just too far to go.

Bob

Re:In Memory of Mike "The Pirate"... 11 years 6 months ago #75767

this makes me wonder how many of the folks that we dont hear from anymore that were regulars,have passed but we never knew about it.rest in peace mike and any others,john

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:In Memory of Mike "The Pirate"... 11 years 6 months ago #75775

The O'le Pirate is in Glassic Heaven. I will miss him.
In memory.
Attachments:

Re:In Memory of Mike "The Pirate"... 11 years 5 months ago #76304

• Eduardo
  • Eduardo's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Hello FG, just an update on our 2013 Day on the Delta, dedicating this event to Mike Moore "The Pirate". Below is a copy of my post on Golden State Glassics (GSG). Here is the link of the thread.

goldenstateglassics.com/showthread.php?t=3621

When you get a chance, check it out. You'll find many pictures of what we did on this day. Here are just a small sample of pictures.

2013 Day on the Delta

We planned this event just so we can get together for another gathering of GSG friends and family. April was always a month where we didn’t organize anything other than the West Marine Show. I thought of OBR’s Day in the Bay and wanted to do something similar here on the Delta. Plus this month coincides with the opening boating season. And since we had lost a dear GSG member, we wanted to dedicate this day to Mike. So that’s what we did on Saturday.

In Honor of Mike Moore

This day turned out better than I expected. At first, the morning started out cool and overcast. We had 8 boats come with 7 in the water and 21 people. When we arrived, Jim was already there. On the table was a very nice picture of our honored member, Mike, The Pirate. That was a really nice touch Jim and our reason for dedicating this event.

In attendance

We were fortunate enough to have special quests from afar, OBR members present. Terry and Betty (Gotwater) from San Diego, along with Jer and Debbie from Long Beach. Jer and Debbie brought their very reliable Wizard cruiser and Terry and Betty came with their ’62 Glasspar Avalon. One of the best stories in GSG is that Terry is the original owner of this glassic, purchased in May of ’62. From the condition of this boat, you would never know that most of her life in the water has been in salt. This boat is in amazing condition. I’m not kidding. I was in awe of how nice the original gelcoat shined. Another member who doesn’t usually participate but who always hosts our New Year’s luncheon on the Sacramento Yacht Club, was there, Dan Walters with his grandson, who really liked the old vintage boats. Don Tierney came with his family of four and their Skagit Express. Then my cousin Gemmel with Arlene, Daughter Gemma, and youngest son, Gem Gem. Justin and Emily came with their ’64 Dorsett San Juan. Mercedes and I brought my nephew Jeremiah. We can’t forget our newest local member, Armando, who was great with the kids and taught the boys some slick football plays.

Fishing Derby

People were asking me about the Fishing Derby, who won and what size? Three entered and none of us caught a fish. I know; it's pretty sad. I had a line in the water off the bank near the picnic area but my excuse was that I was too busy being the host. I did teach my nephew, 7 years old, how to cast for the first time though so he had fun just having a pole in his hand. That was worth it. Gemmel got in later and he also tried to fish off the bank. He was too busy socializing. Then Don Tierney tried fishing from his boat after the run in the afternoon with his daughters. No luck. There were a lot of trailers in the parking lot and a lot of them were coming in early, reason, limiting out. The guys went to see all the fish that were being caught out there on the water. $30 was raised, so the money will go towards a charitable contribution in Mike’s name. Like I said earlier in this post, we may not had many entries, but the idea again was there. We’ll have to make it an all day derby next time. Are you reading this Ron and Scott?

Potluck Lunch

The potluck lunch was delicious. By the time everyone started eating, all but two glassics were already in the water. We had a mix of BBQ OBR hamburgers, turkey and beef hotdogs with hot chili, fresh vegetables, homemade potato salad, sandwiches, Filipino salad, and the works. We talked about Mike and what we remembered him most. It was nice to hear all the good things about Mike and the memories he gave us when he came down for our Delta runs and for his many posts on the GSG board.

Grand Island Cruise and Ice Cream Run

The Grand Island cruise, actually 31 miles per Jer’s GPS, was probably the highlight of the day. It was close to 2 pm and we were just leaving the dock. Up to this point, we had not seen the sun. But by the time we started the cruise, the sun came out. This was the first visit to the Delta from our OBR members, so this was an absolute treat for them. We cruised up Steamboat Slough from Hogback, 7 miles to the Sacramento. Then cruised down the Sacramento 6 miles to the popular Delta town of Walnut Grove, where we tied up our boats and walked up to the main street and had Mel’s Ice Cream, one of our favorite Delta stops. After we had our ice cream we headed down the Sacramento for another 11 miles then back up Steamboat for another 7 miles to Hogback. We got a mix of smooth waters in the slough and parts of Sacramento but when we got to the big part of the Sacramento, it got little rough, maybe not for the OBR members, but for us locals. Overall the cruise was very successful and most importantly, every single boat made it without any problems. Betty said it best after we arrived back to the Hogback launch. She said, “It was so nice cruising in the Delta that we’ll definitely be back again.”

Back at the picnic

After the cruise, some of us placed our boats back on trailers where others chose to leave their boats in the water. I know Gemmel wanted to go back out on the water and fish. Don made it out on the water again. It was nice to come back to the picnic area and just relax, play football and games with the kids, and just hang out. By 6:30 we started to break down the picnic area. We got all the boats back on the trailers, and hung out until the sun started to set and we had to go. It’s hard to say goodbye after a fantastic day, all day with friends and family. What a way to end the 2013 Day on the Delta.

Thank you everyone

Mercedes and I want to thank everyone who came and supported this event. I especially want to thank our special guests from OBR land, San Diego and Long Beach. For them to travel such distance to attend this event, we are very grateful. I hope all of you enjoyed this day as much as we did. We had so much fun that we plan to do this every year. We hope to see everyone back again next year for the 2014 Day on the Delta.

Eduardo & Mercedes

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.202 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online