• Page:

TOPIC: new motor , old cover

new motor , old cover 11 years 6 months ago #75585

• emosun
  • emosun's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
I'm interested in any ideas , comments , or previous builds with new motors simply decorated to look like a classic motor.

Basically , from the hood down , most outboards look the same.

My plan as of this moment is to take my new 2003 johnson and find a hood that fits over the top of the existing hood. Curious if anyone else has done this.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:new motor , old cover 11 years 6 months ago #75586

I've played around with this a little bit. You will probably have to fabricate some type of an adapter. You would most likely need to take a hood that fits your current motor, chop the top off and figure out how to attach it to the vintage one. To make it look good, you would need to create a smooth transition out of fiberglass or aluminum. The vintage hood would also need to be a close fit to begin with so it doesn't look obvious. You would have to check out a lot of different hoods and may end up with a Merc or Scott Atwater hood on the Johnson.

Todd (aka thetudor)
1964 Custom Craft Aqua Ray
1959 Glastron Seaflite
1959 Tomahawk Spirit

Re:new motor , old cover 11 years 6 months ago #75588

Johnson hoods tended to be pretty big so you probably have the best chance there. Bill had done up one with his G3 that I think he was pretty close to a successful fit. He did need an adaptor plate.

Re:new motor , old cover 11 years 6 months ago #75589

• Split
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
..E. : This idea / request has been done successfully a few times before & all depends how much time / effort the owner wishes in the effect. I just posted a picture a few days ago, here on the main forum under the " NEW TOY " thread.
. One of the Florida Glasspar guys Vern T did the best conversion
with a old OMC donner cowl, & sort of widened the rear (?) & maybe stretched the height (?) to fit over a modern Yamaha engine.
.... The pic below will be the BLUE open boat. This show was two years ago in March at the Mt Dora ,Fla show.. He was displayed between the orig late 60's OMC of a Green Phaeton & my Brown SEDAN.
. Viewers really did a double take, or had to be convinced of the
era mod. ENJOY .. Again repaint your modified cowl , install / attach period chrome logo's etc .

CLICK to ENLARGE pic.. Plan " B " would be use the NEW cowl ( already desired foot print form) & GRAPH / Glass on the period scoops, fins, port -holes, chrome tags,/ etc.
Attachments:

Re:new motor , old cover 11 years 6 months ago #75597

Here is another shot:

"...The outboard is a 1978 two cylinder Evinrude 55hp retrofitted with a cowl from a 1960 Evinrude 40hp. Such cowl changes require extensive modifications to the older cowl to fit the newer outboard.
Restoration work on this page done by Chris Beisel"

archives.fiberglassics.com/g3/glasspar-pages/restore_10.jpg
archives.fiberglassics.com/g3/glasspar-pages/restore_11.jpg

There was another guy that did an OMC V4 conversion, I think the photo is on the G3 archive site, but I don't have a link to it.

From the old G3 site, here is a shot of the modified cowl posted by split: forums.fiberglassics.com/g3/showmessage.asp?fm=Forum&messageID=21538

And another Beisel lid:
forums.fiberglassics.com/g3/showmessage.asp?fm=Forum&messageID=21553

Bandit - 1959 Glasspar G3
See more G3s at www.g3owners.com

Re:new motor , old cover 11 years 6 months ago #75766

• Split
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
..E.: Here is a great report / PICS from the recent Mt Dora Fla boat show.. Aristo Craft show boat of Bill Turner , Atlanta ,Ga
family builder.. Modified vintage OMC cowl over a four stroke 40 hp
Yamaha.. ENJOY www.seabuddyonboats.com/

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.180 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online