Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Garage stored 1968 Renken 16' Runabout

Garage stored 1968 Renken 16' Runabout 11 years 7 months ago #74845

So I need some guidance. I am 35 years old and still consider myself young. Or somewhat. But a good friend of mine who I've known for years came to me yesterday and asked if I would be interested in a boat. I am currently looking for either another Stingray 185LX or Yamaha FX Cruiser Waverunner.

He took me to his ex wife's garage. Her house is being foreclosed on and way in the back is a true original 1968 Renken 16ft boat. Her dad bought it in 1968 and passed it down to her in the early 70's and they used it nearly every weekend and back in the late 80's she parked it in the garage and it hasn't moved since.

Folks I have never seen a gloss still left on gelcoat from any boat older than 1990, Heck let alone a 1968 boat, let alone I've never seen a true original 1968 trailer with the tilt system and the old style hitch assembly. As basic as this boat is it sure has a ton of history behind it. Its like back to the future when they find the delorean preserved in the side of the mountain from BTTF 2.

So now I am torn on what to do. I bought it as a gamble at first in the moment but after getting it back to my warehouse and looking over the entire boat its like seeing an unrestored muscle car. The engine turns freely. Heck somehow or another the fuel in the original fuel tanks doesn't even have the varnish smell to it. Original seats, steering wheel you name it. Its crazy.

So what do I do ? Where do I take it ?

Should I try and find someone who would appreciate her and restore her to her once beautiful glory or should I do it myself.

I showed my wife the pictures of it and it was like showing her the picture of an old green refrigerator. She just doesn't' get it.

So far I have done a thorough cleaning, and have torn into the outboard. Rebuilding the carbs, new fuel lines, and a few other odds and ends. Waiting for the rebuild kits for the carbs and it will be about ready. Then I need to get new seats.

But again I just don't know how far to take it.

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Garage stored 1968 Renken 16' Runabout 11 years 7 months ago #74847

Here is some extra pictures of the interior

Re:Garage stored 1968 Renken 16' Runabout 11 years 7 months ago #74848

• Steve G
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
Wash/Wax and enjoy!

Re:Garage stored 1968 Renken 16' Runabout 11 years 7 months ago #74849

Yep, clean that ole girl up, new seats, get the engine running and get her in the water!

Bob

Re:Garage stored 1968 Renken 16' Runabout 11 years 7 months ago #74851

Thanks for the responses. I bought her a week or so ago. And when restoration something I take my dear time especially with engine or carbs this way it gets done right the first time, and I can order all the parts I need with one order. With that said it has given me some bonding time with her.

You know it is so cool to see how well made these boats were from the 60's not to mention the 1970 60073B 60HP Evinrude that she has on the back of her.

Changing the impeller from the original, The original had a heavy duty serious metal housing where as the replacement is plastic.

The seats and storage rails on the side are my only concern. Should I get simple replacements from "Wise" Boat Seats or should I get these redone in the original green ?

And i've got it setup to have the storage rails replaced after I get the outboard fully squared away.

Do these classic's have any monetary value ?

I don't mind putting money into but I do not want to go overboard.

And another thing that blows my mind. There is no bilge pump or horn. Only running lights.

Re:Garage stored 1968 Renken 16' Runabout 11 years 7 months ago #74854

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Welcome aboard Chad, and congrats on the purchase of your Renken. Looks to be a nice example of what we call a "survivor", mostly original and unmolested Glassic!

Changing the impeller from the original, The original had a heavy duty serious metal housing where as the replacement is plastic.

Yes, even the O.E. BRP (Formerly OMC) water pump kits now come with housings like that. They just seem "less substantial", but seem to work just fine.

Should I get simple replacements from "Wise" Boat Seats or should I get these redone in the original green ?

+

Do these classic's have any monetary value ?

The closer you keep it to original, the more value it will have should you ever decide to sell, IMHO. Aftermarket seats are often cheaper, easier to do, but will detract from the 'original' appearance of the boat IMHO. (To be fair, I went this route with a project as a temporary fix, would like to go back to the original set-up some day as it looks much better that way.)

I don't mind putting money into but I do not want to go overboard.

Most of the time unless you have a very rare or collectable boat, there isn't a lot of money to be made as compared to collectable cars, or such.

And another thing that blows my mind. There is no bilge pump or horn. Only running lights.

She's been kept pretty basic, but there's a special beauty in those boats as well. No extra holes drilled in the dash, etc.. Basic comforts and safety items are okay to add, just try to keep them as discreet and inconspicuous as possible.

Just my two cents worth, everybody has their own opinion, right? The real value is the feeling you get out on the lake being proud to be 'driving' your Glassic, something nobody else around has! Bottom line = it's your boat to do with as you please, do whatever makes YOU happy. Keep us posted on your progress, we'd love to see some video of her first re-splash! ;)

Mark

Re:Garage stored 1968 Renken 16' Runabout 11 years 7 months ago #74857

Welcome aboard and gas her up put it in the water and enjoy. :)

Re:Garage stored 1968 Renken 16' Runabout 11 years 7 months ago #74858

Chad,

Congrats on the find. Looks in great shape. I have a 1964 Custom Craft Aqua Ray that was stored in a barn for 40+ years, so I understand a little about bringing something back to life. Sounds like you are taking the right approach on the motor. What condition are the seats in? If it is just dried out vinyl, I used 3M Vinyl Cleaner and Restorer and brought my originals back to life with 3 or 4 treatments. Use it once a year on all of the vinyl and it looks and feels like new. If you need to replace, I would look into having the originals recovered. Look forward to seeing the progress.

Todd

Todd (aka thetudor)
1964 Custom Craft Aqua Ray
1959 Glastron Seaflite
1959 Tomahawk Spirit

Re:Garage stored 1968 Renken 16' Runabout 11 years 7 months ago #74859

Welcome aboard. Nice find/.

Do not put new, moder "Wise" type seats in the boat. To me that is a huge distraction to a vintage boat to see newish seats in it. Get the originals rebuilt and reuphosletred. That's my opinion.

Andreas

Re:Garage stored 1968 Renken 16' Runabout 11 years 7 months ago #74863

Way cool little boat. Not sure what the boating laws are over there but in Idaho we are required to have a working horn either hand held or wired in the boat as well as a fire extinguisher and running lights, life preservers, etc.

I figure that I would spend at most 1/10 the money restoring my boat vs buying a new one and losing tens of thousands in depreciation. And just like my old Mopars I get far more compliments and people looking at my old cruiser at the launch and the dock than guys with their 30' Baja's and Scarabs (kinda pisses them off). :)

Nick

1961 Uniflite 19' Express, Bearcat 55 powered
1975 Chris Craft 25' Tournament Fisherman, Twin 181 FL inboard

Re: Garage stored 1968 Renken 16' Runabout 11 years 7 months ago #74864

chadc880,

WELCOME ABOARD!!!

yours, satx

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re:Garage stored 1968 Renken 16' Runabout 11 years 7 months ago #74877

Thanks to everyone. Glad a friend told me about this website

I made my mind up

On Monday I'm bringing the original green seats to have them redone

Or fixed up instead of "wise" seats

I'm going back 100% all original

Should I have the cubby hole rails replace or just removed ?

Re:Garage stored 1968 Renken 16' Runabout 11 years 7 months ago #74878

Thanks to everyone. Glad a friend told me about this website

I made my mind up

On Monday I'm bringing the original green seats to have them redone

Or fixed up instead of "wise" seats

I'm going back 100% all original

Should I have the cubby hole rails replace or just removed ?

Re:Garage stored 1968 Renken 16' Runabout 11 years 7 months ago #74924

Still trying to get the outboard fully 100%

Just rebuilt the carbs, new starter solenoid and water pump kit.

Any electric shift techs in here. I cannot get it to shift to neutral or reverse. However I hear a small "click" with the engine off with shifting.

Maybe I didn't but the solenoids back in correctly when I installed the water pump ???

Also what is the correct setting for the idle mixture screw on the 1970 60HP 60073b ?

Here is the updated video of the motor progress.

Re:Garage stored 1968 Renken 16' Runabout 11 years 7 months ago #74946

Wow that is a relief and thank you for y'lls help. This morning I took the lower unit off again and inspected everything very closely. When I assembled it after the water pump replacement when I installed the solenoids back in they would not set in all the way down to the seated area. I gave some pressure and heard a click. Then the solenoids mounted correctly. Not fully understanding how the electric shift actually hydro shift works I thought it was completely mechanical and thought the click was the drive going into gear or something.

What I found was the "click" was the piston coming undone from the plastic piece with the spring around it and the piston getting pushed to the side.

Once I found this I retrieved the piston, put it back in place and carefully put everything back together.

Now all works like a charm.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.215 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online