• Page:

TOPIC: CVX 16 trivia

CVX 16 trivia 11 years 7 months ago #74708

• gcarlover
  • gcarlover's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Was the design of the first CV 16 in 1971 copied by Art Carlson from Sidewinder Boats? I had the privilege of riding in the first one with a 125 Johnson in Alexandria MN. I had previously purchased a new V-163 in 1970 w/135 Merc. Very nice boat but I liked the CV 16 better. I also rode in a 69 Sidewinder w/125 Merc; very smooth. Good balance with the back to back seats(both boats). So I went to Boatspecs.iboats for info. 1300 lbs and rated 120hp. Wrong! Fiberclassics has good info. Go to the library on their site. Here it is: Models available in 1969 were the V- bottom, low profile (Lo Pro) designs in 16 and 18 ft. lengths. Both could be had in the Deluxe version (16 ft. at 750 lb. and 18 ft. at 900 lb.) or the "stripped down" (100 lb. lighter) Standard versions. They could be had in outboard (135 hp max for the 16 and 150 hp max for the 18) Also by 1972 patent infringements were admitted by at least 4 Manufs. Tahiti was one. I read somewhere at least 27 copycats had law suits against them. I have a neighbor with an 18 w/new transom. I don't think he knows what it's worth. So it's 650 lbs vs the 1971 CV 16 at 566 lbs. My 80 specs out at 700 lbs.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:CVX 16 trivia 11 years 7 months ago #74711

• Split
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
,G.C.L .: WELCOME , Interesting screen name . You have my vote of the day.. I just brought home a CVX two weeks ago. .Seems we could have identical ski Pylon pole. ! Your thread is about the early 70's
& my son had a purple cv-16 in Fla.. YOur header mentions CVX which came out in 77 www.classicglastron.com/77gl-carlson-cv16s.html . some changes with the deck air scoop , rear slope grab bars, maybe a faster hull, with a partial Pad .?
. Is your boat the Orange color & white bottom .. Mine will need
fresh Gold meal-flake on top , lower yellow will buff out.
I thought your Trivia question was going to be the Name of the deck scoop .?

Re:CVX 16 trivia 11 years 7 months ago #74712

• gcarlover
  • gcarlover's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Actually the boat shown is a boat I had on my computer. I think it belonged to Terry Fritz from WI. He sold it. I had trouble finding a pic and this one fit. It's almost the same. Mine's on CGOAMN. Find mine posted there. You have to register to see the thumbnails.
The trivia Q didn't get answered for sure. I don't have the answer but most think Art had his own patent. Can anyone find it? Would like to know about the Sidewinders. They came out about the same time as the CV16.(Sidewinder earlier) Here is the old listing of the above boat which has been sold:
www.powerboatlistings.com/view/7011

Re:CVX 16 trivia 11 years 7 months ago #74733

Re: CVX 16 trivia 11 years 7 months ago #74746

gcarlover,

WELCOME ABOARD.

yours, satx

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re: CVX 16 trivia 11 years 7 months ago #74747

gcarlover,

WELCOME ABOARD.

yours, satx

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re:CVX 16 trivia 11 years 7 months ago #74749

• Kerry
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
From one who studied these and other speed hulls in the 70's as a drooling teen, no, the Sidewinder and Carlson designs have enough differences to proclaim them not close enough to be copies. Carlson's designs used proven technology, but his styling above the waterline was very unique. Sidewinder used bottom tech and light weight to achieve speed and control. Many Sidewinders also had 22" transoms, used by a few other manufacturers (Hydrostream, for one) to get faster speeds with a "stock" setup than manufacturers using standard 20" transoms. I confess to not knowing for sure if Carlsons had 20" or taller transoms, but someone might run out to their garage with a tape measure to find out!!! :laugh: Does this help a bit?

Re:CVX 16 trivia 11 years 7 months ago #74782

• Split
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
. This spotted ad from N.C / TN border today almost looks like
one of these SIDEWINDER boats , from T.B link above. ??
chattanooga.craigslist.org/boa/3647043946.html Merc Tower

. Heck in the late 50's RedFish & other were coping / splashing
Glastron designs. ?

Re:CVX 16 trivia 11 years 7 months ago #74794

• Kerry
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Split, the boat in the ad is missing the three "gill slits" behind the windshield. A Sidewinder clone.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.183 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online