Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Twin Motor Setup for Power Cat 14 c

Twin Motor Setup for Power Cat 14 c 11 years 8 months ago #73543

All right I'm just trying to get everything together for the restoration of my 63' power cat. I have never had a twin outboard setup. Will I need a LH and RH rotation Motors or will it work with same direction motors? For the counter rotating motors what is the correct way to configure them.

Thanks
Travis
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

www.liquidassetsonline.org , 63\'PowerCat14-C w/twin64\'650\'s,14\'Glen-L Zip w/Mark58E,58\'TeeNee,
Mark55AE,Mark55E,PairMark58E\\\'s,Mark58AE,Mark78AEL, 6-7RBM\'s.Keep EM\' Alive! Always looking to add to collection.

Re:Twin Motor Setup for Power Cat 14 c 11 years 8 months ago #73562

C-R motors not required, but would perform a little better. Difference in performance mainly in the way the boat handles / steers. If you can easily get your hands on a set of C-R motors, I'd say go for it. But generally speaking standard rotation motors would perform just fine on this hull. A set of C-R motors generally costs more than putting a matching pair of standard motors on there. Excepting for special racing engines, I believe that Mercury was the single builder that furnished left rotation motors for the general boating industry. So if you want a ser of C-R motors - it will probably have to be merc.

Re:Twin Motor Setup for Power Cat 14 c 11 years 8 months ago #73563

I am probably wrong but on a two stroke can't you make a counter rotating engine just by revering the way the starter motor turns. Then just have a counter rotation prop made.
The dock busters ran both directions one way for forward and the opposite for reverse. The counter rotating prop may be a little hard to come by though. The reverse starter motor wouldnt be too hard exxcept for the starter drive. Heck just run 2 dock busters one with a counter rotating prop.

Re:Twin Motor Setup for Power Cat 14 c 11 years 8 months ago #73579

unfortunately, it is far more involved than that. Counter rotating Mercs had a special linkage that allowed the engine to be run in reverse. The disto could advance in both directions of rotation. A conventional engine can only advance in one direction, not both. No other mercs or other brands used this system. Also the DR mercs had a special water pump that worked in both directions. It had checkvalves and stuff no other engine has or has since. Then the lower unit is different. You can't use a R-H lower unit in reverse - because the thrust on the gears and bearings will be transferred to the nnormally "unloaded " side of the parts. They will fail quickly. The L-H lower units have specially designed internals for this.

Sorry - no free lunch......

Re:Twin Motor Setup for Power Cat 14 c 11 years 8 months ago #73580

Bruce is correct about the Merc DB's. These are around but not real easy to find. One thing about running the 2 dock busters is that since they will be rotateing in different directions you have to make sure that they are both running in perfect order and are synced perfectly. If not one motor will act like an anchor on the boat.When they are setup propery they are a sweet running and sounding setup. Have fun, Skip. :P

Re:Twin Motor Setup for Power Cat 14 c 11 years 8 months ago #73593

As Bruce has said, counter rotating motors are nice but not
necessary. If you do go with CR motors having them turn in
or turn out makes little difference, I have always preferred
having them turn in but have seen both with no change in
performance. On V-bottoms and boats that lean over in corners
it can be an issue, but on cats it don't matter.
Danny Leger

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.174 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online