Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Transome Rework - 1961 Dorsett - Will It Hold????

Transome Rework - 1961 Dorsett - Will It Hold???? 11 years 8 months ago #73406

trying to do a fix on my 1961 Dorsett, can you please have a look at my video and let me know what you think?
Thanks
Jim

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Transome Rework - 1961 Dorsett - Will It Hold???? 11 years 8 months ago #73407

It is always a little questionable leaving existing wood on a rotted transom. Are you sure the wood that was left is not rotted? I know on my Glastron, the wood around the drain in the motor well was rotted. I ended up replacing everything.

I think what you have installed is strong enough for a Mark 55. Additional reinforcing should not be necessary (assuming you are going to put a couple of layers of glass over it and tie it in to the rest of the hull.)

Todd (aka thetudor)
1964 Custom Craft Aqua Ray
1959 Glastron Seaflite
1959 Tomahawk Spirit

Re:Transome Rework - 1961 Dorsett - Will It Hold???? 11 years 8 months ago #73430

from what i see with the volume off,if it was my boat i would round of all off the corner on the plywood and on top of the transom and glass it up with afew layer of heavy oz fiberglass and fair it smooth then painted it again.i don,t know what that metal rod is but i don,t think you not to use it to bolt the transom onto the motor well.sorry my volume bottom so not working.

Re:Transome Rework - 1961 Dorsett - Will It Hold???? 11 years 8 months ago #73433

I looked at your video & I actually think that you did a pretty nice job. Of course, doing a full replacement will always be best, but this may just buy you some time from having to do that, perhaps as long as you have the boat. Only time will tell if the repair will hold. The big question is - what did the original core look like along the cut-line at the base of the splashwell?

The Mark 55 is only a little fella, I believe about 125 pounds - so that is a big plus. Just to be sure - the top and all exposed faces need to be sealed as best as possible. Use a layer or two of cloth with resin to do that. Forget the metal plate - they do nothing. People always want to use plates all the time - but they add no strength. If you want strength against flex - bolt a section of square steel or aluminum pipe across the inside of the splashwell. The square tubing will act as a very effective spine or stiffener. I have done a this before, using the tie down bolts to attach the square tubing in place. It will add a lot of strength to a failing transom.

Good luck & have fun.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.164 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online