• Page:

TOPIC: Added strength?

Added strength? 11 years 8 months ago #73347

• Chance
  • Chance's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Hey Ya'll got back from college bout a month ago and decided I should start back in on my project after work :) Doing some research I have decided to use Nida Bond Pourable Transom fills to repair my transom. My question is would it be advisable to set a aluminum sheet aprox 1/8th inch thick running from one side to the other for added strength? If not why do you say so? If so would there be a way I could get the Nida Bond to bond to the aluminum better or would it just be resting against it once it cures?
P.S. yes I plan on cutting out the interior transom plate to clean the inside extremely well and I also plan on laying one new layer of mat on the inside to make the Nida Bond grab ahold of the new fiberglass even better :) I got plenty of time so no hurry. (It's too dang cold to pour anything :/ so waitin till it warms up)
Thanks Ya'll hope you're all staying warm (Can't wait for spring)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Added strength? 11 years 8 months ago #73369

This may likely not be the input you are looking to hear - but here goes:

Pourable transoms aren't all that they claim. In an attempt to save time & work of splitting a boat open, you pay a lot of money for a very imperfect solution. Getting a good bond to the old fiberglass will be very difficult. Plus - there is no facing wall to hold the goop against the transom wall.

In old boats like the ones we work on, the best way to go is to split that boat open by removing the deck. It isn't nearly as bad as it sounds. Remove the old transom wood and if needed the floor. I think your boat may have a cored floor - no stringers. I can't recall. But building a new plywood transom will net the best results for the money. Correctly done, a plywood transom will easily out live you and perhaps your children. Nida products are nice but very expensive. An aluminum plate will cost a ton, but offer little to no added strength.

Keep in mind - transoms rot because water gets into the core. This is often a result of inadequate sealing of the original construction, holes getting drilled into the transom and not sealed correctly, and neglect. Most of these boat have sat out in the elements for over 50 years.

The key to making a strong boat is using the right materials with the correct methods of application. MDO exterior plywood is a cost effective yet extremely durable choice. You can use Epoxy or Polyester resin. The end results will likely be less expensive, take less time, and net stronger results. Dozens of people here on FG have done these (me, for one) and would be happy to help you through the process.
www.fiberglassics.com/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/Reinell_3-20130114.JPG [/img]

Re:Added strength? 11 years 8 months ago #73487

• Chance
  • Chance's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Sorry I haven't been on in a little :/ And okay well with your input I'll seriously contemplate going back to the original plan of plywood.
Thanks

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.163 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online