Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: steering boxes and cables Question ?

steering boxes and cables Question ? 11 years 9 months ago #72978

ok I have been looking through my local Craigslist (atlanta) and ran across several steering assemblies and connections .

My question is are there generic steering controls wheels and gauges or do I need to get the matching controls for the motor I pick. I am starting to acquire some parts and materials for my rebuild, and have found assemblies for OMC and other styles. I might need to get longer cables but could I use the ends and the steering box and control box???

should I buy new equipment for reliability ????

Christmas money is going toward the Seacast and next is pre-wiring and controls location.

any help will be appreciated.

Billy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:steering boxes and cables Question ? 11 years 9 months ago #72986

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Steering and motor controls are kinda two different critters Billy.

The motor controls generally have to be of the same manufacture as the motor, unless you want to do some major re-engineering. New motor control cables (throttle and shift) are available for almost any brand, the ends are usually different between OMC/Merc/Etc.. Used control boxes are the norm, may need to be taken apart and cleaned but usually serviceable.

The steering system is more of a safety issue IMHO, I recommend purchasing a complete system ($130) for this reason. When I bought the new steering cable for my project ($100+) I decided on using the used helm (steering gearbox) I got with the boat. It turns out that the used helm has a good bit of 'play' in the gears, and I'll be ordering a new rotary helm ($57) this week. It would have been cheaper to buy the entire system from the start, but we live and learn. :)

Just my two cents, HTH.

Mark

Re:steering boxes and cables Question ? 11 years 9 months ago #72987

I have to agree with Mark on this one. Used motor controls that match the brand of motor are fine and most are serviceable even if they need new cables.
I would definitely go with a whole new steering setup for safety. You do not want any slop in the steering especially when on plane. If there is any chance of any chine walk loose steering will make it much more dangerous. Always keep safety first when evaluating options.
My 2 cents.

Wrangler86

Re:steering boxes and cables Question ? 11 years 9 months ago #73002

ok i am convinced i have been looking, i will look for something that has been salvaged from a newer boat if possible if not i will
break down and buy a new setup. i want to try and save money where i can and Frankensteining some used parts would help. but once i get it on the water i want to keep it there. thanks again guys i guess i just wanted to buy something to make me feel like i am making progress on it. any suggestions on the make or type of steering assem. i may look at. ???????/ another questions

billy

Re:steering boxes and cables Question ? 11 years 9 months ago #73013

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Sorry Billy, but I don't remember what kind of boat you're working on. The amount of room available behind the dash (for the helm) may be a factor, as well as expected motor hp and boat speed.

Some of the gang have rejuvenated/restored their original two cable ("rope") pulley systems with great success. I have a friend at work with a Lone Star Malibu that uses it, and several others here still do as well.

The "rotary" style helms are probably most popular, taking up the least amount of room behind the dash. Single cable setups are good for up to 50MPH, over that they suggest a dual cable setup.

"Rack" (rack and pinion) systems are supposedly a step up, claiming to be a little more responsive. In larger boats where there is plenty of room their size is not an issue, but in smaller vessels there may not be room to mount the rack behind the dash.

Hydraulic systems are generally considered top of the line, but expense keeps most folks from using them. ($500-$800 and UP!)

I don't know that one brand is any better than another, Teleflex and Uflex are probably the most popular. There are also still a good number of Ride Guide (by Mercury) systems still in use, but replacement cables for those can get very pricey.

Hope I haven't slighted or offended anyone by leaving their preferred brand or style of system out, just a brief overview of the subject as I recall it.

Mark
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.167 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle