• Page:

TOPIC: Old Boat, New Technology

Old Boat, New Technology 11 years 9 months ago #72658

• NJTriton
  • NJTriton's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
I have been going back and forth with myself about putting a stereo in my 61 Aristocraft. I want to have the sound, however I dont want to ruin the nostagia of the boat. I was just wondering what everyones opion of doing something like this to an old boat is? Does it ruin it, or make it better? Or am I just being an idiot?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

-Brian

Re:Old Boat, New Technology 11 years 9 months ago #72659

Hi Triton,
I thought about this for my 1939 Chris Craft.
My plan is, once the boat is done, is to set up the stereo unit and speakers in a carry on wicker picnic basket. Because all you really need is a power hook up. Pull the speakers out of the basket, place them where you wish, hook up the power to your batery with some aligator clips, and you can go to town. Only my opinion.

Re:Old Boat, New Technology 11 years 9 months ago #72661

• Split
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
.. SLIDE OUT Dash tray .?? NJ,: We had a pic before of one of the Chicago Glasspar guys that fabed a sliding ,"Under the dash" tray
that would work in your rig.? I have a new marine CD with one of those "Removable face plate dial" for over-night theft deter.

The tray mod had another gauge or two , or similar grill metal pattern of their Citation,BUT under finger Pull would let the shelf
slide out for small stoarage, like Cell- phone , sun-glasses , / wallet , etc.. . Better than cutting a rectangle in the original
style dash IMO.

Re:Old Boat, New Technology 11 years 9 months ago #72662

I have seen several vintage boats with hidden or unobtrusive stereos installed. One had the stereo tucked away in the storage behind the seat with the speakers similarly hidden, and another had a drop-down stereo on four parallel arms, two on either side, underneath the forward dash. When pulled down, it actually had a wooden face that blended in with the rest of the dash, but when pushed up was completely invisible.

Re:Old Boat, New Technology 11 years 9 months ago #72663

I'm not up on modern technology, but why install anything? Can't you use and i pad or i phone or one of those little self contained things. They serve the same function as a stereo don't they?

Andreas

Re:Old Boat, New Technology 11 years 9 months ago #72664

We put a great Clarion stereo in our 59 Thunderhawk, the stereo is inside the glove compartment and the front speakers are underneath the deck and the rears are in the side wells. I don't think it detracts at all from the vintage look of the boat and the tunes sound amazing ;)

Re:Old Boat, New Technology 11 years 9 months ago #72665

aside from the stereo we installed led strip lighting inside the boat which you can't see until the lights are on, new technology in vintage boats with limited charging capabilities....very cool :)

Re:Old Boat, New Technology 11 years 9 months ago #72666

thompsonboat wrote:

I'm not up on modern technology, but why install anything? Can't you use and i pad or i phone or one of those little self contained things. They serve the same function as a stereo don't they?

Andreas

I'm with AJ on this one. Besides, do you really think you will be able to hear it well over the sound of a 40 year old motor?

Re:Old Boat, New Technology 11 years 9 months ago #72668

You might want to look into a small boom box like Grace Digital. They make one that is waterproof and would not change the integrity of the boat. You could also use it on the beach or in the garage also. It works with an iPod or iPhone. Not Bose quality sounds but they work pretty good. Just another option.
Ron

Re:Old Boat, New Technology 11 years 9 months ago #72669

I have a smallish CD/radio and don't own any of those iphones or things.

Re:Old Boat, New Technology 11 years 9 months ago #72672

put it in ....i have never had an acbs chapter deduct points for it at a show. i can also hear mine fine over the roar of the 700.
Attachments:

Re:Old Boat, New Technology 11 years 9 months ago #72674

I set up a stereo, carry on, mounted up under the bow using velcro. If I ever want to get rid of it I just peel the velcro off and scrub the glue off. It is very relaxing, sitting in a secret cove seat turned backward feet up on a cooler listening to beatles etc.

Re:Old Boat, New Technology 11 years 9 months ago #72680

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Pretty good mix of opinions here NJ, kinda falls under the "different strokes for different folks" category! It's your boat, do it the way it makes you happy is my opinion generally speaking. Personally, I hate to see a big ole hole chopped into the dash for a radio, it's a major pain to put the dash back to original should you change your mind or decide to sell. The "hidden" or under dash mounts are much less distracting from the appearance of the boat, and the "carry-on's" are also a good option, IMHO. Just my two cents......

Mark

Re:Old Boat, New Technology 11 years 9 months ago #72705

• Nautilus
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 58
I have installed two of these units recently...1962 Custom Craft and 1964 Correct Craft. Great sound and retro styling. Here's an Ebay link if interested:

I removed the knobs and adapted chrome vintage radio knobs.

Attachments:

Mentor to the unenlightened!

"Never allow logic to interfere with a boat purchase." - J. S. Hadley
"Vintage quality beats new junk every time." - J. S. Hadley
"Anything supposed to do two things does both of them half-assed." - J. S. Hadley
"Success makes...

Re:Old Boat, New Technology 11 years 9 months ago #72706

I may put one in the Dash of the Winner but I bought this GEM for $17 and it is doing fine. The deep river valleys here don't help radio reception so I went with the CD too. I took the little antenna off and attached a long wire to the antenna wire. It is small and I use it outside at home too. My boat is not what you call a rare collectible and I have no problems cutting the dash. I already repaired the dash of many holes. It takes 4 D size batteries and I used it a lot this summer and the ones I put in it in June are still in it working. If you drop that antenna wire into the water it really brings in the signal. Oh it also runs on 110 volts. I mostly just fish and bought it for use other places too. But if you like your tunes or talk radio it works just fine and does not sound bad for such a small unit. The same one sells at Walmart for over $30. This came from a dollar store. It also has proven itself to be pretty rugged.
Attachments:

Re:Old Boat, New Technology 11 years 9 months ago #72708

• Shelby18
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
Nice choice of music. Hal is my wifes favorite. We've seen him many times in concert.

Great to be on board.
Rick

Re:Old Boat, New Technology 11 years 9 months ago #72713

I love Hal. Bob Corbin and Dave Hanner are big here. Both are local. Corbin/Hanner Band. Mostly as a song writing duo. You heard a lot of their music. My Mother worked for bob's Mother for years in the hearing aid industry. www.corbinhanner.com/mainframe.html

How about a bunch of guys called Alabama, Can't Keep a Good Man Down , Fire In The night, and other songs. Lord I Hope This Day Is Good.

Re:Old Boat, New Technology 11 years 9 months ago #72730

how bout the "Jersey Boys".......fuggedaboudit.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.401 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online