• Page:

TOPIC: An intriguing offer

An intriguing offer 11 years 9 months ago #72647

• thetudor
  • thetudor's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
I had lunch yesterday with a friend on mine visiting from VT. Within in the first 5 minutes, she said "Do you want my boat? If you want it, it's yours." As in free. The boat is a late 60's Bertram 20 Bahia Mar. That stopped me in my tracks. She moved from SE CT to VT a few years ago (although she still has her house down here) and took the boat to Lake Champlain. Apparently she doesn't like Champlain (ocean girl) and it is an hour away, which is a nuisance to the point she rarely uses it. Plus her husband is a hunter and not a boat guy. The trade off is that she gets to use it when she comes to visit (no brainer).

The up side is that it is a very nice riding boat and it was re-powered a few years ago. It is in good condition and cosmetically would need mostly clean up and maybe some paint around the deck to make it a nice boat. And it is currently useable, subject to the first comment below.

The down side is that it isn't running right now due to an electrical issue (which doesn't sound too severe). I have no idea of condition of the transom, stringers and foam. I'm not sure if the fiberglass gas tank has been replaced. (I think it has, but would have to confirm)

The trailer functions, but may not be able to make it from VT to CT, so a new one would probably be in order.

We are going to talk sometime after the first of the year. This type of boat is something I hadn't considered at all, but will be giving the whole thing a lot of thought, plus an inspection.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Todd (aka thetudor)
1964 Custom Craft Aqua Ray
1959 Glastron Seaflite
1959 Tomahawk Spirit

Re:An intriguing offer 11 years 9 months ago #72648

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Sounds like a sweet deal Todd, hope you're able to work something out. As I understand it, the Bertrams are highly thought of with the "big water" crowd, classy lines and very well built. I just watched one of the re-runs on Ship Shape TV this weekend where they're replacing the transom in the project Bertram changing from the diesel I/O to OB power. Great stuff, probably can find it on You-Tube?

Mark

Re:An intriguing offer 11 years 9 months ago #72650

Really? What a great opportunity! The Bertrams are indeed a very fine vessel. They were built well and that is why ou still see them. Owners kept them forever! Run with it, tackle the wiring issue and you will never look back! Christmas came early!

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.157 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online