TOPIC: 1969 Bell boy - Hull repair?

1969 Bell boy - Hull repair? 11 years 10 months ago #72271

• jklock
  • jklock's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello all!

I have a 1969 Bell Boy "beachcomer" in very good original condition. SweetPea has some hull damage from being beached over the years. I don't see any holes, just worn gel coat.
Anyone have any suggestions for a DIY product to use for repairs?
Much appreciated!
JK
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: 1969 Bell boy - Hull repair? 11 years 10 months ago #72274

google wet dry 700 for an kevlar - feldspar reinforced epoxy paste. apply to damage. Cover with plastic and smooth / fair the epoxy through the plastic. Next day, peel off the plastic. Surface will be as smooth as the plastic (probably smoother than the surrounding gel coat). The prime and paint the area (perhaps even using a can of spray paint from the hardware store). - paul

Re:1969 Bell boy - Hull repair? 11 years 10 months ago #72275

could you use one of those stick on rubber strips (forget what they are called)that protects the bottom from sand and rocks.

ken

Re:1969 Bell boy - Hull repair? 11 years 10 months ago #72276

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
woosterken wrote:

could you use one of those stick on rubber strips (forget what they are called)that protects the bottom from sand and rocks.

ken

Hi Ken, are you thinking of KeelGuard? (or one of the other brands) Think I'd still want to seal the area with something first, just to make sure! The stuff Paul posted looks interesting, or use conventional epoxy/resin/whatever suits ya.
www.epoxyproducts.com/data700.pdf

Mark

Re:1969 Bell boy - Hull repair? 11 years 10 months ago #72291

Looks like a pretty standard Gelcoat repair to me. Sand the area with 80 grit sand paper, wipe down with Acetone then use a Preval Sprayer,

www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/product.do?part=3676&engine=adwords!6456&keyword=product_ad_2155&type=pla

thin some GelCoat with 10% Styrene and spray on about 3 coats. Sand, buff and polish. You can do the whole repair in about 3-4 hours.

Re: 1969 Bell boy - Hull repair? 11 years 10 months ago #72305

• jklock
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks paul, The wet dry 700 seems interesting but i think the solution is to go with something a little more conventional.

Thanks Ken,
Yes, i looked into the "keelguard" but it won't work with the rollers on my trailer

MarkS,
I have a pretty good idea how the system works. I have just a few questions if you have time:
should i fill the scrapes with fiber mat and resin before the gel coat treatment?
If I do fill them, how much dry time do i allow

Thanks you,
JK

Re: 1969 Bell boy - Hull repair? 11 years 10 months ago #72309

your probably want something nicer, but a common 'wear protection' is epoxy mixed with sand (rock against rock!). when it wears down, just re apply. Of course, this this is more for drag ashore small fishing boats not concerned about looks.

Re:1969 Bell boy - Hull repair? 11 years 10 months ago #72313

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
I'm no expert by any means JK, but I'd probably just use thickened resin for those. (They don't look very bad/deep.) A little chopped csm (kitty hair) if you like wouldn't hurt anything either. The plastic film method Paul mentions might also save some sanding time. You should be able to proceed the next day with paint or whatever you choose to refinish with, additional "layers" could be applied shortly after it "kicks", but I've no experience with applying fresh gel coat. (Probably the best method!?)

Mark

Re:1969 Bell boy - Hull repair? 11 years 10 months ago #72375

• jklock
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
MyFlamingo - Thanks for all the good info, i will post the results if the desired result is acceptable

MarkS - Thanks for your help!

Thanks for all the great advice from everyone! Now it's time to get to work.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.188 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online