Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Read lots of topics on wooden stringers

Read lots of topics on wooden stringers 11 years 10 months ago #72073

Allways saw pics of decks removed for access to the wooden stringers because of rot. So most fiberglass runabouts have a hull on the bottom and a deck on top with wooden pieces between? Mine, and I have measured the reference between top and bottom and it seems like it is only 1/4" + thick. The curves in the hull matches the curves in the floor. Except for the fiberglass 'box' the seats are mounted to, the obvious 1 foot tall enclosure in the bow, and the molded keel in the hull measures 1 1/4" X 1 1/2". So, all boats do not have stringers?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Read lots of topics on wooden stringers 11 years 10 months ago #72077

• frog
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
my 58 rocket does not have a false floor, the stringers are in the 2 ? i do not know what they are called, but they are between the center keel and the outside of the boat and they are wood and are shaped as the other (keels)? and are covered with glass. if you go to my project page there is a picture of them. frog

Re:Read lots of topics on wooden stringers 11 years 10 months ago #72093

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
aznative14 wrote:

So, all boats do not have stringers?

'Tis true! Custom Craft comes to mind, the "steps" molded into the hull provide the structural rigidity needed. (I think that's right, hopefully one of the gang with genuine knowledge on the subject will confirm/advise.) Some use a balsa wood "core" between the outer hull and the sole (floor) to help fill the void and provide a flatter surface inside. I've followed a couple projects on that construction design, but never attempted the task myself.

Mark

Re:Read lots of topics on wooden stringers 11 years 10 months ago #72103

• 63g3
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 2
Could be Balsa core that is what came to mind reading your post. If balsa is bad it is a bitch to redo, I did one and it was the most involved resto I've tangled with. I absolutely was in love with the boat so it all was worth the effort. The more rotted it is the easier it is to remove so hope for the worst if it needs replacing!

Re:Read lots of topics on wooden stringers 11 years 10 months ago #72109

Thanks Frog, I could not find your 'projects page'. Marc I think this looks to be a hull with the steps, ribs in hull and the glass box for seats and shelf under bow would provide strength and integrity. I used a makeshift pair of calibers and did not find anyplace where the thickness is more than 3/8". But then my boat is one of the cheapest runabouts made, back then. And I was amazed when the original gel coat shined up, and then inside just needed intense cleaning and a new finish ( used pool deck coat). By the way my pos is a '62 Elgin "sport utility runabout". 13" 9" centerline and 60" beam.... Darn I wish I could find a Merc 500 for her. Running a '61 Johnson 40, Mccullough Royal Scott for back up, needs mukini fuel pump retrofit.

Re:Read lots of topics on wooden stringers 11 years 10 months ago #72111

• frog
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
aznative14, go to the project section and mine is the 1958 shell lake rocket project. does your boat have a long shaft transom or short? i found a period correct motor for my rocket , so my merc 500 long shaft is for sale. frog

Re:Read lots of topics on wooden stringers 11 years 10 months ago #72115

My Winner has no stringers. My MFG has a wooden keel inside but no stringers built in. The deck I have in mine is not the way it came.

Re:Read lots of topics on wooden stringers 11 years 10 months ago #72144

Hey Frog; No, mine is short. Still looking forward to the 'big auction in Wichita Falls' Hoping to find a merc to fix up. They run at higher RPM's. Fully loaded (including fishing gear) I am 693# gross. the 40 pushes good but a Merc 50 hp...:-) Robert, You added a deck to yours? Love the windshield you cut down, everytime I see a pic of it makes me realise, your only tethered by your lack of imagination.

Re:Read lots of topics on wooden stringers 11 years 10 months ago #72147

I added a deck to my MFG. I use it for fishing and have a basic 3/4 inch plywood floor with a couple pedestal seats installed. Two partial stringers attached to the floor held on by two lag screws into the inner keel. I love that cut down windshield. It changes the looks. I like it without but I know I'll have trouble keeping my dog off the front of the boat. She is very athletic.
Attachments:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.182 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online