Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 1958 Fleetform Commodore 14

1958 Fleetform Commodore 14 11 years 10 months ago #72029

Hey guys, I got this 1958 fleetform about 3 weeks ago, and have been on iboats. I have the seats, stringers, and mechanical stuff out. I also have some of the inside sanded. How would you guys suggest I sand the gel coat off? I'm 13 by the way.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:1958 Fleetform Commodore 14 11 years 10 months ago #72034

Welcome aboard! First of all, we love pictures. Show us what you've got.

Sanding off gel coat is nasty business. Do you really have to remove it? Grinding is better than sanding but smoothing it out afterward is a project. I want to try bead blasting for my Glastron, probably next spring.

I would definitely get a full face respirator. Expensive but worth the investment for your future health.

Keep us posted.

Todd (aka thetudor)
1964 Custom Craft Aqua Ray
1959 Glastron Seaflite
1959 Tomahawk Spirit

Re:1958 Fleetform Commodore 14 11 years 10 months ago #72035

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Welcome aboard cp, glad to have you join us. Unless your gel coat is badly crazed (spider cracks), blistered, or otherwise damaged, you don't have to sand it all the way "off". There is some great info available here in the Research / Restoration section, here's a link to it;
www.fiberglassics.com/restoration/
Back to your question - I found a 5" orbital sander (inexpensive unit from Harbor Freight) the most productive. Hook and loop fasteners for the sanding discs make the job much easier, I started with 150 grit and worked my way down to the finer grades. More aggressive grits get it done quicker, but also create deeper "gouges" that must then be sanded out as well.
Make sure you wear a good respirator to keep the dust out of your lungs, goggles and gloves are also a good idea. Work in an area you don't mind getting filthy with the dust from the sanding, that stuff gets everywhere!
Post some pics of your boat in the Projects in Progress section when you get a chance, we'd love to see it. ;)

Mark
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.160 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle