• Page:

TOPIC: Turbocraft being saved

Turbocraft being saved 11 years 10 months ago #71999

• PSUrandy
  • PSUrandy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
In my local paper I saw an auction listing with a jet boat as one of the many items and I had to check it out. I saw the condition and made my mind up what I wanted to bid, I managed to get it for less than what my max was so I was really pleased.

The tag on the back of the drive says "Hamilton Marine Jet, manufactured by Turbocraft, Indy Indiana."

These are the model serial numbers 75SD/37 912. I am not sure what these numbers mean or what model or year made.

From what I can see its about 16', its got a 1966 Chevrolet 283 two barrel. Its got left hand helm, "column shift" foot throttle, cable/pulley steering and shift. The engine is stuck and has a number of things wrong. I'll have to pull the engine to check it out completely. Again, I don't know if its even the original engine, the exhaust manifolds say barr marine with "327" cast in the middle. I dated the casting number on the engine as 1966.

I would really like to get this boat back on the water, I have never seen another one like it around my area. If anyone can give me some more information on it that would be great!
Thanks

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Turbocraft being saved 11 years 10 months ago #72003

Welcome aboard! It looks as though you have a Jet 32 model Turbcraft that is of the 1961-62 vintage. I would thing that the engine is most likely not original to the boat, but I could be mistaken. Where do you reside? I am in the process of restoring a 1962 Jet 35. Similar in design to yours, only in an 18' version. If I can be of any help, let me know!

Re:Turbocraft being saved 11 years 10 months ago #72018

• PSUrandy
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks for the info. Was the 283 Chevy offered as a power plant? I kind of thought the motor was replaced because the valve covers still have the "Chevrolet" script stamped on them.

I am in south central Pennsylvania. I am missing the side name plates, I wonder if I will ever find them?

Thanks!

Re:Turbocraft being saved 11 years 10 months ago #72020

I would think that your boat did not come with the 283, but I am not sure. Buehler seemed to offer quite a few different engine packages in their time. It is my belief from what I was told be engineers that worked there that they were always searching for performance, economy and durability.
The early 60's models featured alot of the Y-Block Fords, 272, 292, and 312 CID packages from Intercepter. Gray Marine was popular with the AMC 327 blocks at that same time period. Later on in the 60's Chryslers were the featured engine choice.
As for your side scripts, keep searching on Ebay or Craigslist. They may show up, your only other chance is to find a derelict hull that you can buy parts from.

Re:Turbocraft being saved 11 years 10 months ago #72021

Barr Marine offered conversion kits to marine-ize a stock automobile engine:

www.fiberglassics.com/library/Barr_Marine

Probably not original, so feel free to replace the engine with no concerns for originality.

Re:Turbocraft being saved 11 years 10 months ago #72022

• Shelby18
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
The Chevy 283 was called the Crusader. You'll find it in the engine library section. It is what my boat has. We found that a previous owner had replaced the motor with a 64 model year. Currently we have a correct year block going in.

Great to be on board.
Rick

Re:Turbocraft being saved 11 years 10 months ago #72032

I looked through my Turbocraft Price List dated 3/1/1962 has the model listings and engines offered for those models. The Jet 32 model is offered with 3 engine options. A 109HP Gray Marine, a 120 HP Chrysler 6, which I think is the Slant 6 and also shows a Crusader 150 HP V-8 available at that time. I know that the Chris Craft conversion fo the 283 at that time was advertising 185 HP., so I am unsure if this would be a 283, but could very well be. I have not found anything else in my archives to signify the engines of that model. Anyone have any Crusader knowledge out there?

Re:Turbocraft being saved 11 years 10 months ago #72055

• Shelby18
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Hello Royce,
If you look in the library at the B&W Bruchure from 1962, it shows only two engine options for the Jet 32. Perhaps they decided to add an extra option on your price list.
I should have noted that mine is a Jet 35 and the 200hp designation was for that motor.
By the way it has been a while for an update on yours...Inquiring minds

Great to be on board.
Rick

Re:Turbocraft being saved 11 years 10 months ago #72066

• PSUrandy
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
I'll probably keep the 283 if it turns out to be ok. What would have been the correct seating arrangement? It seems like most I've seen have a front bench and no rear seating.

Re:Turbocraft being saved 11 years 10 months ago #72082

I have not seen a Jet 32 for over 18 years. The one I looked at had a Chrysler Slant 6 and the interior was not in the boat. I would have thought that there would have been a bench seat in the rear.
As for my Jet 35 progress? Well, I vaccumed and washed the hull down this weekend to prepare the boat for priming. I found three areas that I was not totally comfortable with before having the primer applied. I ended up cleaning and adding some more filler in the areas and will continue to sand and go over. When I can take it no more, it will be good enough!
I had a boat restorer check my work and he is comfortable with my progress. I keep telling myself that I would rather take my time now then to be complaining about it later if Iam not satisfied with my prep work!

Re:Turbocraft being saved 11 years 10 months ago #72104

• Shelby18
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
PSUrandy wrote:

What would have been the correct seating arrangement? It seems like most I've seen have a front bench and no rear seating.

It certainly looks that way from the brochure picture in the library.
Here is the link to it. www.fiberglassics.com/library/File:Beuhlerb62007.jpg

Great to be on board.
Rick

Re:Turbocraft being saved 11 years 10 months ago #72107

• PSUrandy
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Yeah, I saw that picture. The only difference mine is left hand helm, not right as pictured.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.199 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online