Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: outboard motor stand

outboard motor stand 11 years 10 months ago #71846

I needed to build another motor stand so I could work on one of my mercs in the warm basement this winter. So I thought I would share how I built mine for those that might not know how to go about building their own. I have seen some pretty ridiculous motor stands over the years, case in point the motor stand my mercury 140 tower of power was on when I bought it was so over built you could have hung a steam engine on it. He had 6x6's 2x6's 2X4's and ply wood all built into some sort of super structure, I wish I had taken a picture lol. Anyway this type of motor stand should hold most any outboard its strong and simple to make.
I started with three 8 foot 2x4's that where free of knots which is very important, and a 2 foot long 2x8 I would prefer to use a 2X12 but a 2x8 is what I had laying around. This is a list of the 2x4 lengths I needed

2) 39inch 2x4's notched out for a 2x8 or 2x12
2) 28inch 2x4's for the base
2) 24inch 2x4's
1) 21inch 2x4
1) 24inch 2x8 or 2x12
2) 25inch 2x4s cut with a 45degree angle on each end
I started by assembling the 39inch uprights with the notch to the 28inch base 2x4's using glue and 3inch screws. Upright being 18inches from the end of the base 2x4, making sure the upright is square to the base using a framing square. I used PL 400 constuction glue to glue every thing together, I only used PL because thats what I had laying around the important thing is that some sort of wood glue is used. I then assembled the 2x8 to the uprights with glue and screws. Next the 24inch 2x4's where attached inbetween the base 2x4's at each end using glue and screws. Then the 25inch 2x4's with the 45degree cut, where installed to brace the upright to the base. Last of all I screwed three inch locking casters to the bottom of the base for easy mobility. This type of stand is very strong, I have built stands long enough to hang two and three large motors like this one. I hope this helps someone.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:outboard motor stand 11 years 10 months ago #71851

What I like is it gives you access all over the outboard to work on. Castors are great. I have a few homemade engine dolly's I made for my BB Ford motors. I have one I could start a 460 on and run it in the middle of the floor, no exhaust. Neighbor came running to see what I was doing. LOL He is another motorhead.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.172 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online