• Page:

TOPIC: mixing oil with gas

mixing oil with gas 11 years 10 months ago #71800

• Normspeed
  • Normspeed's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
I've owned a lot of boats but I believe this is my first outboard boat with a built in tank. Since I don't know exactly how much fuel the tank will take to fill, is it a good practice to gas it up and then add the correct amount of oil? Or will the oil not mix thoroughly that way?

With the old portable tanks you could do that, then just shake the tank a bit to mix the oil.

Where I go boating, premix is not an option.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:mixing oil with gas 11 years 10 months ago #71801

What exact motor, including year, do you have? My cousins Yamaha has an oil tank right on
the motor where you fill the oil injection tank with 2stroke oil. In the fuel tank goes straight gas.

Re:mixing oil with gas 11 years 10 months ago #71802

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Some of us glassheads have the older motors without oil injection. It's been my experiance that most built in tanks of the older era come in sizes like 12, 18, etc. If you know the ratio of your mix, say 25:1 or 50:1 I just watch the gas pump meter and when you put in six gallons add X amount of oil for the ratio then another six gallons or whatever the "top off" is and adjust the oil for that amount/ratio. The key is to watch how much gas you are putting in your tank and adjust the oil. Most outboard oil has the mix amounts printed on the containers and the little notches that mark the oz. so it makes it pretty easy. By the time I get to the landing the boat/trailer has jumped around enough to thourghly mix whatever is in the tank.
Hope this helps.
Cal

Re:mixing oil with gas 11 years 10 months ago #71804

If it was me. And it isn't. I would have a mix tank and do a tank at a time. put oil in mix tank add 5 gal then pour in main tank. Repeat as needed. Not to be done when there is a long line at the pump.

Re:mixing oil with gas 11 years 10 months ago #71806

• Ike
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 14
I use a separate portable tank of a known size, fill it, and oil. I then use that to fuel the OB.

Peter D. Eikenberry
newboatbuilders.com
"Don't tell me that I can't. tell me how I can."

Re:mixing oil with gas 11 years 10 months ago #71808

I use a big funnel, dump the oil for six gallons in, and wash it through with six gallons of gas.

If you're using TCW-III, it should mix on its own and stay mixed, but who knows what tomorrow will bring with gasoline formulations. Hopefully the oil manufacturers will stay ahead of the curve.

Re:mixing oil with gas 11 years 10 months ago #71811

I have had a 2 stroke on a boat with a belly tank for about 10 years and I stated in small amounts putting in the correct oil mixture for a few gallons at a time until the tank was full. I use a mixing bottle from academy so its easy to see the ratio mix for as little as one gallon. If you know the tank capacity and have a gas gauge on the boat it get pretty easy after a few runs. My tank is 20 gallons so if the gauge gets to half a tank I know I can add the oil ratio for 9 gallons and then fill it up. I then add the last little amount of oil for the top off over 9 gallons.

Re:mixing oil with gas 11 years 10 months ago #71853

I'm in the 6-gallons at a time frame of mind. As noted above, after running your boat for awhile, you get a feel for how much it uses over a period of time. If you know it'll take at least 12 gallons, put oil for 12 in and go from there. Also, remember, it is always better to mix a little fat on the oil than a little lean. If you put oil in for the last 6 gallons and it only take 4, don't fret about it...

Re:mixing oil with gas 11 years 10 months ago #71854

I always mixed 2 stroke gas in a know amount of gas with the right amount of oil. I liked the modern low ash burning 2 stroke oil myself. That way I knew it was always right.

Re:mixing oil with gas 11 years 10 months ago #71855

• Normspeed
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Thanks for the suggestions. I have a 12 gallon tank, but with the boat on the trailer it holds 10 gallons from bone dry because of the location of the filler and overflow and the angle of the boat. Last trip we ran it until the gauge read less than 1/8 tank. Haven't filled it up yet but I'll be doing that this week. I think the gauge is probably not linear in the readings. I may buy another 5 gallon jerry can and use it to premix gas, to top off the tank. Otherwise I'll use Chinewalker's method and go rich on the oil if there's any doubt.

Re:mixing oil with gas 11 years 10 months ago #71859

good plan
better too much oil than not enough

Re:mixing oil with gas 11 years 10 months ago #71860

My Merc 850 is on the thirsty side so I run two 12 gallon tanks with a switch between them. With 2 tanks it is easy to mix because 1 is usually empty!!! Seriously, I estimate as close as I can and add a little more, then calculate to make sure I added enough when I am done filling up. I agree with the theory that a little extra oil is better than running it lean.
Bill

Re:mixing oil with gas 11 years 10 months ago #71864

• jepstr67
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
One time......I dumped in a quart of oil and added 12 gallons of gas. I got 1000 feet from the gas dock before the motor was trying to run on pure oil it has sucked up from the bottom of the tank.

After that, I always used a funnel to fill the tank and added oil slowly as I pumped gas.

Re:mixing oil with gas 11 years 10 months ago #71883

The easiest way is go to Walmart there is a mixing bottle out there for about three dollars. This bottle has All the formula ratios. You want 50/1- or 100/1 each has its own slot on the bottle. Very easy to read and figure out. You go to the gas station put in what ever amount of gas you want fill it or put in a gallon and a half. Then look at the bottle chose your ratio. Look down the side it will have a mark for a gallon and a half. Just pour oil in the bottle to that mark then into the tank your done no guess work.

D

Re:mixing oil with gas 11 years 10 months ago #71888

• Normspeed
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
My biggest concern was, when adding the oil after the gas is in, will the oil mix sufficiently with the gas or mostly settle to the bottom of the tank like Jepstr67 mentioned.
Since my fuel gauge isn't necessarily accurate, I never know how much I'm going to add to top off the tank.

Re:mixing oil with gas 11 years 10 months ago #71890

• jepstr67
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
herters59 wrote:

The easiest way is go to Walmart there is a mixing bottle out there for about three dollars. This bottle has All the formula ratios. You want 50/1- or 100/1 each has its own slot on the bottle. Very easy to read and figure out. You go to the gas station put in what ever amount of gas you want fill it or put in a gallon and a half. Then look at the bottle chose your ratio. Look down the side it will have a mark for a gallon and a half. Just pour oil in the bottle to that mark then into the tank your done no guess work.

D

What is the brand on that thing? I'd like to get one, but I refuse to set foot in Walmart.

Re:mixing oil with gas 11 years 10 months ago #71893

Many places sell them. I saw them at fleet farm yesterday.

Re:mixing oil with gas 11 years 10 months ago #71894

I have an antique Phil Right tank that I use to mix my gas/oil in for on self contain tank/motors units. I just tag it with what mix I have in it at the time

I have another that I need to restore

CAVU

Re:mixing oil with gas 11 years 10 months ago #71897

I looked at the bottle I have it said www Seasense on it so I googled that it came up on Overtons
so go to Overtons and put in mixing bottle or Seasense you will find it. Try it you will like it.

D

Re:mixing oil with gas 11 years 10 months ago #71899

• jepstr67
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Great. Thanks!

Re:mixing oil with gas 11 years 10 months ago #71911

Jepstr67,
I definitely agree with the Walmart comment. I have to deliver to 2 of them a week, and every time I do it gives me another reason not to shop there!!
Bill

Re:mixing oil with gas 11 years 10 months ago #71912

Around here it is called Chinamart

CAVU

Re:mixing oil with gas 11 years 10 months ago #71921

• jepstr67
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
On the plus side, I'm glad I asked. There are some other potentially useful items on that Overton's site. Like the solid state bilge pump switch.

I haven't been to a Walmart in over 10 years. As a form of anger management, I pretend they don't exist.

Re:mixing oil with gas 11 years 10 months ago #71925

I found a really neat measuring funnel at Auto Zone. It has great calibrations easily read. The best part is that it has a valve at the neck that once you put the amount of oil that you need, you twist the valve it dumps into the tank. Then there is a lid that covers the opening. Clean and a time-saver.

Re:mixing oil with gas 11 years 10 months ago #71941

Life or death before I go there. Just my 2 cents

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.256 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online