• Page:

TOPIC: Wish someone would have told me!

Wish someone would have told me! 11 years 10 months ago #71605

• 63 Sabre
  • 63 Sabre's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
So tonight I'm going to do some mop up glassing, small parts to cover up screw holes in the deck of my project Shell Lake. since it's only a small bit I mixed the resin in a plastic cup, ya know the kind you get free beer in. Poured in the resin, added the hardner, stirred it up. By the time I got inside the boat the bottom of the cup fell out, the plastic dissapeared and I had a handfull of resin dripping on the workroom floor. I was wearing latex gloves so it wasn't a complete disaster but it sure was a waste of time and materials. Anyone else pull a dumb stunt like this??
Ended up using a plain ole paper cup.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Wish someone would have told me! 11 years 10 months ago #71607

I'm guessing that the beer cup was made from Styrene, or some styrene based plastic. I have always used yogurt containers myself. The little ones are great for projects like you were doing here. The large quart ones are great for doing larger jobs - or even for small ones. Because we eat yogurt, I always clean the containers & save them. You can even tweak the containers after any residue has cured & it will fall off the container, allowing it to be used again, if you don't have more containers. Resin doesn't touch that type plastic.

Re:Wish someone would have told me! 11 years 10 months ago #71608

63sabre,

I did the same DUMB stunt ONCE, except that i ruined a perfectly good pair of pants with my dumping of the "peanut butter" onto them.

BIG stacks of paper dixie cups are CHEAP and work well with all sorts of rezin/hardner mixes.

yours, satx

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re:Wish someone would have told me! 11 years 10 months ago #71615

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
The yogurt cup idea sounds good, I'll have the wife start saving hers. I used larger cottage cheese tubs sometimes but didn't have any laying around.
I did wind up using a dixie paper cup. Tomorrow I'll have to pick a cew more el-cheapo paint brushes so I can finish the job.

Re:Wish someone would have told me! 11 years 10 months ago #71618

Been there, done that. I save paper coffee/soda cups and use them. I'm on the road for work enough so it's easy for me to get a collection. It also helps me discipline myself not to mix too much up at one time.

Todd (aka thetudor)
1964 Custom Craft Aqua Ray
1959 Glastron Seaflite
1959 Tomahawk Spirit

Re:Wish someone would have told me! 11 years 10 months ago #71619

• Andgott
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
I think everyone has done that once or twice- if you haven't, you haven't done enough fiberglass work!

I have done something similar with epoxy and fast hardener on HOT days- Especially when it's mixed with some filler material- It can get HOT fast- Hot enough to melt the container it's in.

-Andrew

Re:Wish someone would have told me! 11 years 10 months ago #71623

Doing dumb things is not always an indication of "Being Dumb". I had a boss at a bodyshop I once worked at in the 70's, a very smart man who ran the shop at our local caddy dealer. Put paint for touch up into a foam cup for a nice lady to take home. The cup had a lid so no problem. Next thing you knew he was wiping paint off he nice polyester dress with thinner. What a disaster. But being it was over 30 years ago it is now funny. This would be the same boss who left a rag on a hood of a freshly painted Buick leSabre that had thinner on it during lunch. Can you say"repaint the hood".

Re:Wish someone would have told me! 11 years 10 months ago #71639

Yeah, not dumb, but the way he told the tale sure gave me a chuckle. I could see myself doing the same thing.

I save those small tubs that margarine or dip come in. I use the lids for mixing small amounts of epoxy or JB weld and I hope the tubs will be OK when I start mixing resin.

Re:Wish someone would have told me! 11 years 10 months ago #71641

to all,

SOME fast mixtures of epoxy with thickener get HOTTER than a 2.oo pistol so watch out for "throwaway" plastic tubs. - Otoh, i've never melted a paper coffee cup, that you can buy CHEAP by the 100 at discount joints.

yours, satx

Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re:Wish someone would have told me! 11 years 10 months ago #71642

• jepstr67
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 1
63 Sabre wrote:

Anyone else pull a dumb stunt like this??

well,.....Only once. :D

I did manage to dump it into a can before it was a problem.

Re:Wish someone would have told me! 11 years 10 months ago #71645

Red solo cup, I fill you up, let's have a party...

Re:Wish someone would have told me! 11 years 10 months ago #71666

My thought EXACTLY!

Re:Wish someone would have told me! 11 years 10 months ago #71668

When it comes down to it I guess the best thing for a beerr cup is beer. I've always been careful but one of these boners sneaks through now and then. I poured some oil based paint in a plastic bucket once to paint off of on a ladder. Bucket had a small hole I didn't know about. Climbed the ladder and painted so carefully. Looked at my nice neat handiwork on a thimble for a wood stove and felt good. Started down the ladder and seem the long drip marks all the way down the siding and block wall. Paint came off the siding but not the block. I then painted the block.

Re:Wish someone would have told me! 11 years 10 months ago #71671

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Thank you ladies and gents. I was beginning to think it was just me. Now I know I'm not alone in this crazy sickness called fiberglassics.
Attachments:

Re:Wish someone would have told me! 11 years 10 months ago #71672

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Oh you're not alone Cal, plenty of bonehead "learning experiences" here to go around. (Which reminds me, I still have some resin "dribbles" to clean up off my garage floor!) ;)

Mark

Re:Wish someone would have told me! 11 years 10 months ago #71677

i also use yogurt cups,but for bigger batches i use gallon plastic ice cream containers,i have lots of them ,must be why im a bit chubby,lol.
plus after it dries you can get the resin out in one piece and use the container again,john p.s they also have handles that are helpful.

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:Wish someone would have told me! 11 years 10 months ago #71679

I have an old Teflon skillet I use for resin. Let it set up and just turn it over and knock it on the floor. CLEAN

Re:Wish someone would have told me! 11 years 10 months ago #71685

just be sure that you do not grab the good skillet by mistake,because it may be knocked against something other than the floor to clean it.lol

Re:Wish someone would have told me! 11 years 10 months ago #71687

Yep I use the butter tubs and when dry, pops right out no problem.

Bob

Re:Wish someone would have told me! 11 years 10 months ago #71697

Ha Ha my Good skillets are old cast iron and collectible Griswolds and such. They are much older than me. I have my Great Grandmother's iron skillet yet. It has a low spot in the middle from use. I have cast iron dutch oven too.

Re:Wish someone would have told me! 11 years 10 months ago #71701

robert-lorigan,

I know that this has nothing to do with boats BUT i have several of the cast iron pots/skillets/spiders that my G-G-G-grandmother, as young bride brought from AL by oxcart, when my mother's family fled to TX to escape the DYs after The War Between the States in 1865.
YEP, i still cook in them.

yours, satx

Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re:Wish someone would have told me! 11 years 10 months ago #71703

Me too and I laugh at today's non-stick because the cast iron is better.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.245 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online