Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: winterizing

winterizing 11 years 11 months ago #71455

I have the motor winterized, fogged, lubed, lower unit drained with gas purged from the lines and carb. I also shoved course steel wool into the intake holes in the motor shroud to keep the mice out. The boat has to be kept outdoors here in WI and the tires are off the ground, the drain plug is out, the boat is tilted nose skyward, and I have two covers on the entire boat. My question is, what if anything can I put in the boat to hopefully ward off any rodents looking for a winter home? Thanks in advance, waiting for spring.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:winterizing 11 years 11 months ago #71456

Big ugly dog.

Re:winterizing 11 years 11 months ago #71458

I would say a rabid cat, they're hard to find though! Seriously zip it up the best u can everything else is kind of like kissing under mistletoe. Also I would and have used brass wool instead of steel ...no rust or other corrosion involved.

Re:winterizing 11 years 11 months ago #71461

mint for racoons...

Re:winterizing 11 years 11 months ago #71465

the critteres apparently do not like Bounce dryer sheets or moth balls. add a few of those in the motor hood and in the boat.

Andreas

Re:winterizing 11 years 11 months ago #71466

• jepstr67
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 1
The absolute most important thing to do to keep mice out is remove the ropes. They can not crawl up the hull, but they can climb the ropes!!!

Bigger critters are hard to keep out or off the boat. Maybe a plastic owl near the boat parking spot.

Re:winterizing 11 years 11 months ago #71467

to ALL,

In northern VA, eastern WV and even here in the south TX area, i've had good luck with a pie-pan filled with moth balls to keep bugs, mice, coons, possums, etc out of my boats and OB motors.
(the pie-pan- protects the hull/trim from the chemicals inthe balls.)

yours, satx

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re:winterizing 11 years 11 months ago #71470

Well I have to admit it didn't work for me. I put some inside the Resorter, kind of scattered around, bow to stern and when I took the covers off to take some pictures, I found a mouse nest under the back seat by the port transom. Maybe I didn't put enough in there. I plan on doing it again for the Clipper since she's going to have to reside outside while the Resorter is restored in the shed. I think I'l try the pie pan thing, more moth balls in one place. Didn't do it in the Resorter since she was getting restored anyway so wasn't worried too much about chemicals.

Bob

Re:winterizing 11 years 11 months ago #71471

I was told that mice do not like the smell of cedar and that will keep them away. I used to use purple heart cedar blocks which is the most fragrant. I never had any mice come in the boat when I had the cedar blocks in there. It might be worth a try.

Re:winterizing 11 years 11 months ago #71472

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Us Wisconsinites have to stick together. I keep my boats indoors but when I winterize my motorhome I shove Bounce fab softner sheets in every nook and crannie and put in a few D-Con bait envelopes for good measure. Over the past 7 years I have never had a mousie problem but I have found skeletons. I tried the moth ball routine once and it took all year just to get the smell out. If you can remove the cusions I would do so. Anything that is chewable. I also put some type of covering over the tires. Even though they are blocked off the ground the sun will still beat the crap out of the sidewalls and cause early sidewall cracking. I just put the big ol Fleet Farm orange bags over them but I suppose anything that will keep the sunshine off will work.
Cal, Suamico

Re:winterizing 11 years 11 months ago #71475

Bait is all you need. I was an exterminator. If you put glue boards and the boat is cold get some for cold temps. Most of the boards glue gets to hard to hold them when it gets cold.

Re:winterizing 11 years 11 months ago #71477

to all,

Glue boards, as Robert will tell, may catch some surprises.

I caught a 2.5ft rattlesnake a couple of years ago in our barn, where i had some OB motors stored.
(He/She was NOT happy!)

yours, satx

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re:winterizing 11 years 11 months ago #71483

I remember seeing a cat on the street once with one stuck to his head.

Re:winterizing 11 years 11 months ago #71495

Irish spring soap works well It also does not smell as bad as mothballs. I cut up a couple of bars and put it inside the motor housing and around the boat. I also use it in my hotrods. Unfortunately it does not seem to work as well inside the house. Although this year I am trying it inside the heater ducts as an exterminator suggested. However the only thing I have noticed is better smelling hot airlol

Re:winterizing 11 years 11 months ago #71496

Thanks for the advice guys I will try a few of the suggestions

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.217 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online