TOPIC: Just what is a \"FiberGlassic\"

Just what is a \"FiberGlassic\" 11 years 11 months ago #71391

• classicfins
  • classicfins's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
** This thread discusses the content article: Just what is a "FiberGlassic" **

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Some people are like slinkies... Not much good for anything, but they sure are fun to push down the stairs.

Re:Just what is a "FiberGlassic" 11 years 11 months ago #71392

i believe thats the same time period the acbs uses.

Re:Just what is a "FiberGlassic" 11 years 11 months ago #71395

Why not include the 1940s? There were a number of builders of fiberglass boats starting in 1946.

Andreas

Re:Just what is a "FiberGlassic" 11 years 11 months ago #71404

well cool....good to see a post from you....thougt you gave up on old boats....a fiberglassic should be any old boat that has the distinctive character of the cool old fined cars of the 50's and 60's...IMHO...john

Re:Just what is a "FiberGlassic" 11 years 11 months ago #71413

I had to pull over and take a pic of this the other day near Mexico,It's a glassic to me ! Dig those fins!
Attachments:

Re:Just what is a "FiberGlassic" 11 years 11 months ago #71429

snornAZ ,

I love the look of that boat & I don't recognize the make of it. Did you notice any marking or badges? Were you able to get any other angles of photos?

Thanks.

Bruce

Re:Just what is a "FiberGlassic" 11 years 11 months ago #71433

It's locked in a storage yard and I couldn't see any emblems on it. Notice it has another small fin under the upper one. I call it the Impala Nomad runabout!
Attachments:

Re:Just what is a 11 years 11 months ago #71438

• jepstr67
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 1
thompsonboat wrote:

Why not include the 1940s? There were a number of builders of fiberglass boats starting in 1946.

Andreas

I agree. That is like singling out pre-1950 televisions as something different.

Fiberglassic should start with the invention of the concept to 1980 or so + or -.

Re:Just what is a 11 years 11 months ago #71508

Just thought I would add my 2 cents. I agree that anything from the beginning of the concept should be included but I'm not sure the cut off should be a hard date. As we get older many boats become glassic that were once just everyday boats. Maybe an age of 25 to 30 years old would be a better time line. I know I'm not getting any younger. And what is a glassic is in the eye of the beholder no matter how old it might be. :)

Re:Just what is a 11 years 11 months ago #71510

I kinda think if a vessel is 25 years or more older, it could be considered a "glassic".

However, the original intent of the site was to focus on the highly stylized boats of the 50's and 60's.

"Whatever floats your boat"

Hello, World!!

Re:Just what is a "FiberGlassic" 11 years 11 months ago #71518

From 1970 onwards was when alot of the tri-hulls came out. Alot of these boats from 70 to the late 80s were throw away boats that really didn't have alot of appeal to them. I kinda think that a glassic should be from 1970 and back. It is kinda like cars, a 1978 pinto or yugo is not a classic. Just my 2cents worth. Skip.

Re:Just what is a "FiberGlassic" 11 years 11 months ago #71545

Yeah I think I have to agree with Skip. Not a lot of "Holy Crap That's cool" from the 70's. There are some but not many for me anyway.

Bob

Re:Just what is a "FiberGlassic" 11 years 11 months ago #71549

To ALL,

Just my 2 cents.
(You might NOT get your money's worth, even at that price. = CHUCKLE.)

to me, a FIBERGLASSIC is a QUALITY boat/motor/trailer, that is at least 25 years old. = There are a LOT of boats from the 1940-70 period that were JUNK when they were built.

otoh, there are some REALLY CLASSY boats (mostly built on "special order") from the 1980s-90s that are NOTHING BUT CLASS.
(Some of the late Nelson Silva's custom-made/original designs took up where some of the great designers of "The Golden Age of Yachting" left off. - a "sort of replica" of a 26ft GARWOOD offshore fishing boat, with a marinized CAT Diesel engine, built for a "rich guy" in FL, for just one.)

yours, satx

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re:Just what is a "FiberGlassic" 11 years 11 months ago #71550

sorry for the double post. = MEA CULPA

yours, satx

Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re:Just what is a "FiberGlassic" 11 years 11 months ago #71577

IMO a glassic as with everything else is in the eye of the beholder
younger people than I think there are classic cars and music from the 1990s
No sense in trying to change their minds...choose battles wisely

Re:Just what is a "FiberGlassic" 11 years 10 months ago #71580

I think that 70's produced alot of great glassics...The Donzi Line, Chris Craft, Centurys, Carlsons, Stingers just to name a few. I took what will most likely be the last ride of the year yesterday in a 1970 Century hardtop Coronado. To me it is most certainly a Glassic!

Re:Just what is a "FiberGlassic" 11 years 10 months ago #71600

Oh don't get me wrong, I didn't say there weren't any, just in the grand scheme of things, there aren't as many as from the 50's and 60's. IMHO

Bob

Re:Just what is a "FiberGlassic" 11 years 10 months ago #71612

My personal interpretation is very, very narrow. 1955 to 1965. And even then, the only "old" boats I ever end up doing anything with are usually a '58, '59, or 60. I think boats from 1965 to 1970 are "vintage" Boats before 1955 I consider "antique"

But again, that's just me.

P.S. I think it's all a matter of what year you were borne. My dad was borne in 1928 and he thinks my 1958 GlassCraft is a "used" boat. The High School kid next door thinks that his uncle's 1994 Galaxy is vintage. He is amazed that my truck has a cassette player.

Re:Just what is a "FiberGlassic" 11 years 10 months ago #71620

Bruce, Glasscrafts were made in my hometown of Humboldt, Iowa. Your 1958 may have been made in Fort Dodge before they moved to Humboldt. After the plant burned in 1960, my father purchased a new 16' Contessa Hardtop that was finished and in storage. The boat now is sitting in a field rotting away, too far gone!
Waterwings, I hope I did not offend, not my intent! I think we all have our favorite brands and "eras" of the boats. I appreciate them all even though I have specific brands and eras that I enjoy more so than others.
I enjoy the different propulsion units that each manufacturer tried for their models in the late 50's top the 70's, be it inboards, IO's, outboards mounted in the hulls, "Fageol, Scott" and jet units. Maybe that would be a fun thread to start!

Re:Just what is a "FiberGlassic" 11 years 10 months ago #71655

Yup, age and the monetary level you were raised in has a lot to do with what we consider classic. When I was 16 my '62 ford fairlane was cool and classic, though only 16 years old. If the 25 year rule then a '87 Ford Taurus is classic? All depends on when, how and where you grew up.

Re:Just what is a "FiberGlassic" 11 years 10 months ago #71658

Nope didn't offend me, just opinions here. Just threw it out there. There's some real classic lines being manufactured now, out in Holland Michigan. Classic wood boats with current power, gorgeous.

Bob

Re:Just what is a "FiberGlassic" 11 years 10 months ago #71661

This thread has me grinning about how we grew up with our old Glasscraft. It was a hardtop and we always wanted to take the top off as it was so hot in the summer. Our father always ruled the roost and that was never allowed! When we sold the boat in 1979, it was in showroom condition, and was well cared for for the next few years only to become relegated to the backyard uncovered to its eventual demise. When I ran into some neighbors years later, they all thought we had the coolest boat and we never felt that way about it! We had one 1968 Donzi 18' that ruled the lake back then and we loved watching that boat run! Our father was too busy trying to save for four kids and their college educations than to spend it on a new boat for us!
Before my father passed, as pragmatic as he was, he so enjoyed the fact that all of us kids were into boats and enjoyed helping me with some restorations and accompanied me on boat buying trips. Miss those days! Thanks Dad!.....

Re:Just what is a "FiberGlassic" 11 years 10 months ago #71663

• Nautilus
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 58
I think a "FiberGlassic" is simply a boat designed in what could be commonly agreed to be "retro styling," or a design that is not likely to ever be repeated. Also, most of them seem to be two-tone, as was the case with cars back in those days.

I don't believe that an old boat with "normal" lines and a bunch of fancy decals qualifies. It's a concensus thing...you just know one when you see one but I have to agree that I don't think any have been made after 1970. I'd call those boats "collectible glass."

It's just my opinion but remember, I have never been wrong about anything in my entire life!

Mentor to the unenlightened!

"Never allow logic to interfere with a boat purchase." - J. S. Hadley
"Vintage quality beats new junk every time." - J. S. Hadley
"Anything supposed to do two things does both of them half-assed." - J. S. Hadley
"Success makes...

Re:Just what is a "FiberGlassic" 11 years 10 months ago #71664

I think you are right about 1970. There was a time that most boats became "boring" about that time in my mind. My dad had a '69 Evenrude Explorer with the windshield in the front. Very unorthodox but a ton of room and a "tank" of a boat. We pulled five skiers up one time. It was one of the last of a strangely designed boats. I think that regionally boats had different designs that made them "fiberglassics". West coast boats were a little different.

Re:Just what is a "FiberGlassic" 11 years 10 months ago #72214

I hope this qualifies even though its a 76

Later

Re:Just what is a "FiberGlassic" 11 years 10 months ago #72217

In the library it said Winner made the first production fiberglass boat in 47. I'm not saying it was the first but defiantly a Fiberglassic. Look at Winner History P 3.

Re:Just what is a "FiberGlassic" 11 years 10 months ago #72219

When fiberglass came out from the mid 40s thru the 60s Is my idea of a Fiberglassic boats.
Attachments:

Re:Just what is a "FiberGlassic" 11 years 10 months ago #72221

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Nautilus, I'm with your thinking. The downhill trend started with tri-hulls and "cathedral" style. During that period you couldn't tell one from another if it didn't have the name stenciled on the side. Off went the chrome, on went the plastic.
I have nothing against the tri-hulls, I had a couple in my days, very stable swimming platforms. I think they got a bad rap from people saying they were slappers in rough water but I never had that problem.

Re:Just what is a "FiberGlassic" 11 years 10 months ago #72225

Just a quick thought.

I have seen more than one car club dissappear beacause they drew a line in the sand. As thier members got older, there were no new ones, who fit into thier guide lines. So the clubs dissappeared.

I agree this site is all about Pre-70 Glass-Tastics, and they are near to my heart also. But much as we hate to admit it a 1983 Chevy Citation X is a rare sreet rod. Just as many of the ....what we would call new.... boats are.

One idea would be to devide the site up a little. One chapter for the Finned Boats, one for the 70 Disco Boats, one for the Racing Boats.......... and so on and so forth. Then set a age criteria like 20 years or so to qualify as a Fiber Glassic.

The VFW was almost lost due to the fact they were not allowing the Korean, or Vietnam vets in. Lets not make the same mistakes with this site.

I don't want to anger or up-set anyone. I just want to be albe to keep comeing here for information and some laughs.....and the friend-ship, for as long as possible.

I hope this makes as much sense to you all as it does to me.

Your friend Littlefin.

1963 Starcraft 14' Ranger

Re:Just what is a "FiberGlassic" 11 years 10 months ago #72239

Good point. I remember Dad wanted to join the VFW and he was not allowed because he was a cold war Vet. He was a mechanic in the Air Force. Staff Sargent, At Sampson Air Force Base and guess what. He was a target. You can bet the soviets had something aimed at him. Now our Local VFW is gone and so is Dad.

Re:Just what is a "FiberGlassic" 11 years 10 months ago #72241

I agree with littlefin.
But I say make it a round 25 years old. That way it's the next generation of kids, That remembers riding on dad's / or Mom's old boat.

The reason I say this is: I was sitting with my wife at one of the local resaurants having a burger and a beer. And a couple of kids (high school age) who just got done with their work shift sat down in the booth behind us. I overheard their conversation about one of them possibly getting a car. Of course the kid wants a Honda with the fart can muffler, but his dad found him a car, and the kid didn't know if he wanted it, because he never heard of it before.
The car his dad found was a 1986 Oldsmobile Cutlass. I damn near choked on my beer !!! I guess I'm getting old ?

Re:Just what is a "FiberGlassic" 11 years 10 months ago #72244

FWIW, Mystic Seaport periodically modifies the age requirement for their Antique and Classic Boat Rendezvous. It had been 1965 and earlier, last year they modified that to 1970 and earlier. A 1970 boat is still 42 years old.

We already have a 1970's Forum "Disco Fiber", so I would say 1970s fall into the mix. They may not all be a high stylized as some of the 1950s boats, but do have their own character. I think Chuck is on the right track in picking a minimum age and going from there. 25 or 30 sounds good.

Since our Fearless Founder I believe coined the term "fiberglassic" and has a copyright or trademark on it, that would give him (or the current owner) the right to define it.

Don't worry about the kid not knowing about an Olds Cutlass. I never heard of Custom Craft before I joined this site, but now I own one.

Todd (aka thetudor)
1964 Custom Craft Aqua Ray
1959 Glastron Seaflite
1959 Tomahawk Spirit

Re:Just what is a "FiberGlassic" 11 years 10 months ago #72278

63 Sabre said The downhill trend started with tri-hulls and "cathedral"

HEY!! :(
whats wrong with this? :) she is a '74 MFG
Attachments:

Re:Just what is a "FiberGlassic" 11 years 10 months ago #72281

littlefin; robert-lorigan; Chuck in Cinncinnati; thetudor,

Agreed.
(I had the sad distinction, in 1998, of closing up what I believe was the last WWI Barracks of The American Legion. - About 4 months after their last member passed away of old age, we had a memorial service for the former members of the barracks, returned the Barracks Charter to American Legion HQ & then we reverently burned the Barracks flag. The "Last Man Bottle" of French brandy was given to the county history museum, as there was no member to drink it in memory of his comrades-in-arms.)

ImVho, we should set some number of years of age for Glassic boats, rather than cutting them off with the 1960s, lest we oldtimers to the hobby "age-out" & the next generation of restorers will have little that they can afford to restore.
(I would hate for this to become a rich guy's hobby, as MUCH of the old cars have. = I can remember when you could buy a NICE/original Model A Delux Roadster for 500.oo.)

just my opinion, satx

Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re:Just what is a "FiberGlassic" 10 years 10 months ago #87036

ACBS moved up the cutoff for a "Classic" from 1968 to 1975 not too long ago. I agree that to keep things going, the date has to periodically change to attract new enthusiasts. I don't have nearly as much interest in the 50's boats as I do the 60's, because that's what I grew up with, and I'm 61.

The 1974 MFG above is very nice, in my eyes. My first boat was a used 1979 15' tri-hull Rinkerbuilt (Rinker) with 55hp Evinrude. Did all kinds of things with that boat. Heck. I even had a tiny 1991 6' Buffalo Mini Boat (made out of ABS plastic) for a time.

But my heart is with the 60's boats.

Dave Nau - 1966 MFG Niagara with 1963 Mercury 350 (35hp) outboard and 1966 Tee Nee trailer. Second boat is a 1962 MFG Edinboro with a 1984 Evinrude 70hp and Holsclaw trailer.

Just what is a \"FiberGlassic\" 9 years 5 months ago #109304

Recently purchased a 1968 seaflite with a Mercury 120 four cylinder engine in pristine condition. The gentleman we purchased the boat from was the original owner and only used the boat in Lake Tahoe. He wiped it down and put it back in the garage every time. I'm still amazed on the condition of this beautiful piece of history. For the life of me I can not find any information on these boats. Was hoping all you fine fiberglass fans could help? Thank you,

Eddie

Re:Just what is a "FiberGlassic" 9 years 5 months ago #109307

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Welcome aboard Eddie, glad to have you join us. Your best source for info on your Seaflite will probably be at;
www.classicglastron.com/phpbb/
Another great resource for Glastrons at;
www.forum.cgoamn.com/
We'd love to see some pics, please share some when you get a chance.

Mark

Re:Just what is a "FiberGlassic" 9 years 5 months ago #109317

did they make a seaflite in 68?? we might need pictures on this one john

Re: Just what is a "FiberGlassic" 9 years 5 months ago #109330

mede510,

WELCOME ABOARD & LUCKY YOU, imVho. - NIFTY rig too. = I used to ski behind one of those most every Summer weekend, when we lived on the lakeshore.

yours, satx

Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re:Just what is a "FiberGlassic" 9 years 5 months ago #109339

I love the looks, style, and lines on the old boats. But I grew up with a 70s Witchcraft. I'm familiar and comfortable with the 70s boats, and love the 2 stroke mercs. I have a real thing for the metal flake gelcoat, and the whole cCalifornia lines of low dead rise, low freeboard. There were some god awful boats produced in every decade, and still today. So I kinda pick and choose of what looks cool to me.

Will

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.337 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online