Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: REMOVING VARNISH FROM FIBERGLASS

REMOVING VARNISH FROM FIBERGLASS 11 years 11 months ago #71330

I thought I would try again , I need help removing varnish/shellac from the hull of my 1959 MFG / the previous owner just shellaced everything . Chrome , step pads , rubber , AND the wood spray rails on the side of the boat / he was so sloppy , that shellac is everywhere - the good news , is that it preserved evrything . Thanks in advance for any help

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:REMOVING VARNISH FROM FIBERGLASS 11 years 11 months ago #71331

I would start by removing the hardware to make sure you do not damage any of the areas adjacent. Heat gun, sharp knife and thinner will be your friends. Try small areas that are not in your field of vision to learn how and what it will take to come off. It can be really nasty to try to remove. Pictures would help us see how much and where you need the help!

Re:REMOVING VARNISH FROM FIBERGLASS 11 years 11 months ago #71332

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
First are you sure it shellac and not varnish or poly? Shellac can be removed with acetone or laquer thinner. Soak it for a few minutes and then use a wood strip, paint stirrer or something like that to scrape the stuff off.
Here is a link that might help, it's for stripping furniture but it has good tips.
Hope this helps.
Cal
tlc.howstuffworks.com/home/how-to-strip-wooden-furniture.htm

Re:REMOVING VARNISH FROM FIBERGLASS 11 years 11 months ago #71478

thanks for the response / it is the wood spray rail on my 1959 MFG / I'm fairly certain that the substance is shellac , and it is liberally on the fiberglass - I have plenty of pictures , however I can't seem to get them to upload / it's kind of cumbersome , and they will not load ......

Re:REMOVING VARNISH FROM FIBERGLASS 11 years 11 months ago #71486

• tey1967
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
Shellac is removed with denatured alcohol.

Re:REMOVING VARNISH FROM FIBERGLASS 11 years 11 months ago #71489

• jepstr67
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 1
I'd agree. Use the hardware as a test palate for what substance will dissolve the coating. If it is shellac, you're lucky because that can be dissolved by alcohol, which won't hurt the fiberglass/gelcoat.

You should be able to get, whatever it is, off of the rest of the hardware by boiling it. I've used that method for removing countless layers of paint on hinges and latches while restoring my house.

Re:REMOVING VARNISH FROM FIBERGLASS 11 years 11 months ago #71492

I found this product online a while back. I never did get around to purchasing or using it but it supposedly doesn't damage fiberglass.
Attachments:

Re:REMOVING VARNISH FROM FIBERGLASS 11 years 11 months ago #71499

Dont use any paint removers with Methylene Chloride , if left on gel it will eat it . Go to home depot and buy Citri-Strip paint remover its completely gel-coat safe , i stripped a Glastron Carlson CV21 of a very good paint job over the original gel-coat with no harm to the gel whatsoever .

Before

During

Ready for new gel-coat

Re:REMOVING VARNISH FROM FIBERGLASS 11 years 11 months ago #71502

• bhamrick
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Its hard to imagine that anybody would use true Shellac on a fiberglass boat but I guess stranger things have happened. If it is true Shellac the proprietary solvent is Behkol which is an alcohol product. Denatured alcohol will work but it is very slow. Behkol will cut it quick but it is very toxic and make sure you wear a mask. I have used shellac on Mission furniture but never on a boat .
Attachments:

Re:REMOVING VARNISH FROM FIBERGLASS 11 years 10 months ago #71519

interesting , I put the hardware pieces (cleats , bow light , line guides , step pads and disassembled horn) in hot water out of the tap and electric dishwasher soap ...... the "shellac" came off in sheets //// the parts are remarkably well preserved ///// the bow of the boat was also "slathered" with the "stuff" - a lot of it was easily scraped of in large pcs with a plastic credit card - the only problematic area to remove the "stuff" is above and below the spray rail .......it has actually run in places ///// I can't seem to get pictures loaded up to this site , unfortunately - to show what I'm looking at / but am very much appreciative of all the responses

Re:REMOVING VARNISH FROM FIBERGLASS 11 years 10 months ago #71522

• g3too
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
If alcohol or lac thinner won't cut it, try one of the marine strippers made for fiberglass. West Marine, etc. I've also used spray can Graffiti Remover on glass without harm to gel coat. If you do that, TEST IT FIRST on an inconspicuous area.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.204 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online