• Page:

TOPIC: Anyone interested in Sabre Craft

Anyone interested in Sabre Craft 11 years 11 months ago #71324

• eicoguy
  • eicoguy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
For anyone interested in Sabre Craft I have worked through my computer problems and finally have a few photos loaded into the gallery area under the heading of 1962 Sabre Craft Pacer 15.

This is my first fiberglass boat project and it has been a pleasure so far. I am about 90% done and, yes, I know that the last 10% takes 90% of the time ;)

I got the boat in pretty good shape, but I have managed to make a big project out of it anyway. I wanted full flotation foam under the floor which lead to removing a floor that really wasn't that bad, but it had some soft spots, and by the time you fix a few spots you might as well rip it out. Anyway, that's what I did, and then installed a new floor with a covering of fiberglass over the foam. The transom was covered with more glass and the deck painted with Pettit. Fortunately the hull is still in good enough condition to just wheel out (yet to be completed). I got the boat with a huge Evinrude 60HP outboard that was probably a great engine but looked ridiculous on the small boat so I am going with a Merc 500 which looks great. I have two Merc 500s that should allow me to make one really good one - I hope.

I need to wire up everything, get the motor painted and running good, install the motor controls, and wheel out the hull. I figure another month of work next spring and she will be ready for the water.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Anyone interested in Sabre Craft 11 years 11 months ago #71326

Good looking boat! Glad you got the Gallery working for you.

Re:Anyone interested in Sabre Craft 11 years 11 months ago #71349

Looks like your going to have a real sharp boat there when you get it done. Go ahead and post more pics of it now. Skip.

Re:Anyone interested in Sabre Craft 11 years 11 months ago #71350

• Neil
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Very nice. I like the color scheme.
Here is a shot of my 1970 Sabrecraft. 17 foot Mercruiser 120. My wife and I use the heck out of it. It is our workhorse that packs all of our camping gear up the lake.
Attachments:

Neil and Mary Ousnamer

Re:Anyone interested in Sabre Craft 11 years 9 months ago #72538

Hello, just picked up this 1966 Saratoga. I plan on bringing this beauty back. I'm brand new to the world of glassics, and figure this will be a great place to start. Hull looks to be in good condition. no battery or gas tank so not sure about the motor yet.
Attachments:

Re:Anyone interested in Sabre Craft 11 years 9 months ago #72541

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Looks like a great project Saratoga, and welcome abaord.

Mark

Re:Anyone interested in Sabre Craft 11 years 9 months ago #72549

66Saratoga,

NIFTY.

WELCOME ABOARD.

yours, satx

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re:Anyone interested in Sabre Craft 11 years 9 months ago #72576

What!!!! One messely little pic!

You guys are going to have to step-up your game.

Remember most of us can hardly read due to bad eyes. (To many sunny days on the water.) A picture is worth a thousand words, and if I wanted to to read a thousand words I would buy a Kindle!

SEND MORE PICS!!!!!

1963 Starcraft 14' Ranger

Re:Anyone interested in Sabre Craft 11 years 9 months ago #72583

here's a few more pics. will have more soon.
Attachments:

Re:Anyone interested in Sabre Craft 11 years 9 months ago #72584

With the top slid back.
Attachments:

Re:Anyone interested in Sabre Craft 11 years 9 months ago #72588

I think that looks so cool.

Re:Anyone interested in Sabre Craft 11 years 9 months ago #72606

• eicoguy
  • eicoguy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Great looking boat - you gotta love those sliding hardtops.

Interesting that the interior looks like the turquoise that I have in my Sabre Craft, but the deck and trim are light blue. Do you think it has been painted? I found it hard to find paint to match the turquoise.

Nice choice for a project.

Good luck, Bill

Re:Anyone interested in Sabre Craft 11 years 9 months ago #72615

Very cool boat, and it looks like an Evinrude Starflite 75hp, around 1961 vintage, at least from what I can see of the first pic.

Bob

Re:Anyone interested in Sabre Craft 11 years 9 months ago #72723

Thanks all, I can't wait to bring her back to all her glory!

Regarding the color, blue looks to be original. The gel coat was super oxidized and stained. Picture is after a little scrubbing and the color and shine come right back. Although I have to admit, making her red has crossed my mind more than once.

The motor is a Evinrude starflight 80hp. has the push-button electric shifter.

I hope I can keep the motor, but am still looking for a "classic" mechanic to check it out for me.

I've been told these motors are "problematic" any thoughts?
Attachments:

Re:Anyone interested in Sabre Craft 11 years 9 months ago #72724

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
A couple thoughts: Unless the gel coat is crazed (little "spider" cracks) or in bad shape, I'd lean toward cleaning, buffing and polishing her out! They're only original once, and after it's been painted it's very difficult and expensive to bring her back to that state! (It's your boat of course, do what ever makes you happy!)

I personally don't have any experience with the electric shift models, but many of the members here who do insist they have gotten a bad rap due to negligence and mis-use/abuse. The lower unit requires a special gear lube, "Type C". (Regular gear lube will cause the "problematic" condition you describe.) If the wiring, solenoids, and switches are complete and in good condition you may very well have many more years of great service left in the unit.

IMHO you've got a very nice "Survivor Class" original set up there, you can always modernize or modify down the road if you're not happy or just choose to do so. Just my two cents, looking forward to future reports on your boat. ;)

Mark

Re:Anyone interested in Sabre Craft 11 years 9 months ago #72732

a +1 on the use of the correct type of lower unit oil. these electric shift lowers also pull about 10 amp of electrical power. so, you will want to be sure the charging system is functioning properly as the lower will default to neutral if it loses power. the newer units were changed to forward default,1970's. nice looking boat.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.229 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online