Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: I need a Vote..

I need a Vote.. 11 years 11 months ago #71093

Ok I'm in the process of restoring my 58 Delbilt and the Mark 58 that was originally on it. My dilemma is that I can't make a decision on what color to do the Merc.
The boat will basically be the same as my Bell Boy (attached pic), except the fin on the Delbilt (attached pic) will be off white with the splash guard in turquoise.
I need a input as to what color to paint the Merc. I don't know what color "Matador" is, as it was one of the original colors - according to Old Mercs.
Well rather than rambling on I'll just get this posted and hopefully start some ideas coming.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:I need a Vote.. 11 years 11 months ago #71094

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
White is always a "safe" color. here's my '59 Mark 58. Just a beginning for your choice.
Cal
Attachments:

Re:I need a Vote.. 11 years 11 months ago #71099

Very true can't go wrong with white!

Bob

Re:I need a Vote.. 11 years 11 months ago #71102

Sarasota Blue & Sand Tan. Probably the rarest color combo - I believe it was an option from 1955 ro 1958. They look amazingly pretty to me.......
Attachments:

Re:I need a Vote.. 11 years 11 months ago #71103

Good info Bruce, very pretty blue!

Bob

Re:I need a Vote.. 11 years 11 months ago #71105

Cloud White.

Re:I need a Vote.. 11 years 11 months ago #71110

Fiddyninefins,

FYI, as best as i can remember, MATADOR was BRIGHT RED, like a firetruck used to be.
(Back when the MK58 was new in my youth, i had one. = NICE OB motor.)

yours, satx

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re:I need a Vote.. 11 years 11 months ago #71115

I like the white but boy I didn't even know of that color combo Bruce.

Re:I need a Vote.. 11 years 11 months ago #71125

Bruce,
It looks like your Dockbuster model is a Marlin Blue upper and a Gulf Blue lower, a very rare combination. According to the color list on the Ny Marine website, Sand Tan was the only lower color offered from 1955 through 1958 except for Dull Aluminum paired with Mercury Green in 1955, Quicksilver Green paired with Dull Aluminum in 1956, and a Charcoal/Charcoal combo in 57 and 58.
Marlin Blue/Gulf Blue was available 1955, 56, and 57.

www.nymarine.ca/mercsty1.html

I have attached a pic of my Mark 75, blue on blue Dockbuster that I bought in Michigan a few years ago. At the time I thought it was repainted because I had never seen that combo before, but the owner insisted that is how he bought it from the dealer. I checked it closely and it's the original paint

Fiddyninefins - If you want to stay with Mercury colors and blue on the boat I would consider the Marlin Blue/Gulf Blue combo. You could use one of those colors for the boat to make a perfect match.
If you want an eyegrabber in a stock color then the Matador Red or Sunset Orange would be my choice.
Attachments:

Re:I need a Vote.. 11 years 11 months ago #71156

• StevieB
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
WHITE

Re:I need a Vote.. 11 years 11 months ago #71157

I have always been partial to Cloud White.
I had a Mark 58A that my dad bought new and I now own a '63 Merc 850, both are white.
Bill

Re:I need a Vote.. 11 years 11 months ago #71162

Hi,
You may wish to paint the motor with the two paints used on the boat, but in a factory color, the Sarasota Blue (a bright turquoise blue) and Sand Tan or Cloud White would be pretty close. Here is a link showing two Sarasota Blue and Sand Tan Mercurys: johnsoldmercurysite.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2284&p=16851&hilit=sarasota+blue#p16851
Bimini Blue (metallic blue green, a "custom deluxe" color for the 20th anniversary) with Cloud White would also be nice, if a little more contrast is wanted. Here is a thread showing this color (3 color combination from the top of the page): johnsoldmercurysite.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1796&p=25332&hilit=bimini+blue#p25332

Regards,
Joe
www.fergusonpoolemarine.com
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Profile Picture:
E. Carl Kiekhaefer (Mercury Founder) & Joe Poole Sr. @ 1964 Mercury Dealer Meeting

Re:I need a Vote.. 11 years 11 months ago #71171

Good info fellas. but I'm confused on the actual naming of the colors. I actually did a little looking around online before I made the post of the pic of that DR motor model. I used that pic because I couldn't find a pic of any "real" blue & tan engines. I also couldn't find reliable info on what the colors actually look like. I guess I always thought the Marlin blue was the Sarasota - but that is incorrect I guess. So if I have it right NOW - the dark metallic is the Marlin, the Sarasota is the light buff, but what does GULF bule look like?

BTW - that original Marlin blue dockbuster you found is BEAUTIFUL. If I was restoring one - I'd love to have the colors be the Marlin (dark metallic) top with the Sand Tan lower. It is enough to make me want to do one up. I better start looking for one..........

Also what was the optional metallic red/blush/rose color called?

Re:I need a Vote.. 11 years 11 months ago #71178

In the fifties, Merc dealers were authorized to custom mtach the motors to the boat colors. You can do that and stay original. Every Mark 55 we bought was custom painted by the dealer as part of the motor purchase to match the boat.

Blest boater

Re:I need a Vote.. 11 years 11 months ago #71187

OK I haven't responded to any voting so far, but I feel I'ts time to start narrowing the options. Thanks for the input so far - you guys are great !

Cal's Idea of Cloud White all over is very very clean and in a different way very eye catching. I could do that very easily.

Joe's Sarasota Blu would be pretty close to the color of the deck of the boat, I could do it as well with a lower combination of cloud white. I'm kinda concerned that it might be just off and look like I was trying to match the boat but couldn't so I settled on that color.

I'm currently leaning on mtdoragary's idea of custom painting the same color as the deck of the boat. The lower units will be cloud White.

I'm going to need to paint the lower band of the cowl as well as it is kind of pitted. I have tried to buff it out with a wire wheel and just deepened the pits. So I'm thinking the top of the cowl in turquoise with the lower band and front cowl cover plate cloud white.
I would paint the little indented areas on the front cowl cover in turquoise as well.
I have seen the lower mount covers and shocks painted the same as the top cowl also. Not sure about that?
Tom

Re:I need a Vote.. 11 years 11 months ago #71188

Hi Bruce and all,
The pictured Mark 75 has the Gulf Blue (robin's egg blue) on the mid and lower.
The red sounds like Holiday Red. We have a vintage Mercury dealer accessory display stand in Holiday Red with Dull Aluminum wire shelves.
We have a new old stock Mercury Quicksilver Ride-Guide steering wheel and rack housing where the wheel is Marlin Blue: fergusonpoolemarine.com/contrlssteeringinstrmnt.html (about 70% down this page of our website).

Regards,
Joe
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Profile Picture:
E. Carl Kiekhaefer (Mercury Founder) & Joe Poole Sr. @ 1964 Mercury Dealer Meeting

Re:I need a Vote.. 11 years 11 months ago #71190

Hi,
Yes, my wording was weak, but you can certainly paint with the very same boat colors. This almost always looks great. If however, you prefer to utilize factory colors, you may find the contrast of the outboard colors pleasing with the boat colors. There is not a correct or right way. Let your heart be the judge.
The shock absorber are sometimes painted (other than the mid color) to add a nice accent.

Regards,
Joe

Profile Picture:

Re:I need a Vote.. 11 years 11 months ago #71197

• Split
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
.."FID".: I have a similar Mk 58 , 1958,,on my AL speedster. You do not say for sure the year of your MERC ,? I believe the 1959 version was called 58 A for Anniversary model & was offered in full WHITE for that year.... The 1958 year were two tone colors.
If you are going to use / run the rig , a white lower unit will
show more water / river dirt scum stain, I heard from other owners.
The sand lower . Upper could also be a Maroon, rather than a bright red. Sort of a Cranberry color / tone.

Re:I need a Vote.. 11 years 11 months ago #71203

It is a 1958. The lake I keep my boats on you can drink the water out of, so dirty is not a huge problem. Besides I'm kinda anal about wiping things down constantly. If you remember John Thompson of Georgetown University basketball fame and remember the towel he wore around his neck - well that's me (kinda if you know what I mean)
Tom

Re:I need a Vote.. 11 years 11 months ago #71222

Hi,
Here is an example of painting the outboard to match the boat: bigfinboats.com/forums/index.php?/topic/1960-end-of-the-season-for-the-56-meteor/

Regards,
Joe

Profile Picture:

Re:I need a Vote.. 11 years 11 months ago #71226

• frog
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
back when i was a kid i had a body shop paint a car for me. i asked him what color he would paint it. and he said that he would paint it any color i wanted, cuz i had to please myself and nobody else.i like to stay with factory colors. but i'am painting my 1966 merc 50 hp cloud white, for my rocket. frog

Re:I need a Vote.. 11 years 11 months ago #71230

Thanks Joe and Frog.... I needed that..

It's a done deal -- Turquoise and cloud white to match the Delbilt.

Tom

Any other votes will only confuse me so please don't vote anymore - unless you're voting for Pres.

Tom

Re:I need a Vote.. 11 years 11 months ago #71233

From reading all the input and seeing the pics, especially the sarasota blue. My vote would be. Top cowlings sarasota blue, mid section and lower unit cloud white, with the prop and cone the blue. I liked the model with the blue on the faceplate .

Re:I need a Vote.. 11 years 6 months ago #75957

My fathers uncle built these boats in California. His name was Delbert Dickerson. If you would like a history of him let me know. I learned to ski behind one of his boats in the late 1950's. I think he only built less than a dozen of them. I have a living uncle in Utah that also has one today. The reason for the step was for faster Speed and quicker hydroplaning.

Re:I need a Vote.. 11 years 6 months ago #75964

StJohn1944,

WELCOME ABOARD.

Also, though I've never heard of or especially SEEN one of your uncle's boats, PLEASE write your knowlege up & submit the info to "management" for possible inclusion in the library.

yours, satx

Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re:I need a Vote.. 11 years 6 months ago #75965

Fiddyninefins,

I know for a FACT (as my father had one done for me in 1958) that franchised Mercury dealers used to "custom paint" Mercury engines to MATCH the boat.
(Therefore, imVho, ANY color combination is ACCEPTABLE.)

Nonetheless, I like CLOUD WHITE on the smaller Mercurys.

yours, satx

Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re:I need a Vote.. 11 years 6 months ago #75966

Please do shed some light on the history of these neat old boats. Did your father's uncle use "Hydroglass" as a name for his boats?

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.276 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online