Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: To those east of me

Re:To those east of me 11 years 11 months ago #71072

AZnative14; all,

I'm afraid that our family will LOSE our 1950s-vintage beach house on Oak Island NC to this storm. = !@#$%!
(crossing my fingers may not work this go-round.)

MY BEST WISHES to all in the path of Sandy.

yours, satx

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re:To those east of me 11 years 11 months ago #71075

Satx. I live in a tornado know place ( 45 miles east of Joplin). I bought a 1940 home. I look at it as ; Hmmm. over 70 years and not a scratch, odds are good. Yours 50's and not a scratch, odds good too. As for others, this reminds me of a bumper sticker; "visualize world peace" or was it Visualize whirrled peas? Neverless, If we all have good thoughts on a problem. Might help.

Re:To those east of me 11 years 11 months ago #71076

AZnative14,

Actually THE PALMERO has been rebuilt FOUR TIMES since it was built in 1954. = That is the nature of the beast that is NC oceanfront weather.

yours, satx

Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re:To those east of me 11 years 11 months ago #71077

Glad I live in tornado alley? Hmmm. Remember 'good thoughts'.

Re:To those east of me 11 years 11 months ago #71080

Thanks guys. Everything battened down here in Southern Maryland hoping for the best. Not my first rodeo though, sat through Ivan and Dennis in Pensacola and Irene here. About as prepped as we're going to get.

Bob

Re:To those east of me 11 years 11 months ago #71089

it looks like we are going to get the knockout punch. highest winds forecast for our area here in north jersey. worried about my 2 50' norway spruces hovering over my pond and a 120' massive red oak, 30' from my new garage. i have my clump white birch strapped together and tied off to the axle of my tractor, which is serving as an 4,000lb. anchor. on the plus side is a 7000 watt brandy new generator ready to go with my dump trucks dual gas tanks (40 gallons) parked alongside for the siphoning feed of fuel. damn gas cost me $138.00...ugh, and will keep the generator running for 64 hours. pump hooked up in basement if needed to handle any water infiltration. wife spent over $300 at the supermarket since they are forecasting massive power outages, so we sure as hell won't starve, and have 40 gallons of spring water on hand... SOOOOO BRING IT ON...

frank, john g., john s. , g3 tony...stay safe.....ron

Re:To those east of me 11 years 11 months ago #71090

Yep was thinking about you Ron. I'm hoping it still decides to stay out to sea but with the damn low inland we're doomed to have it suck the storm right inland. Looks like the weather channels says "The Battery" has already reached it's water rise from Irene, not a good sign!

Bob

Re:To those east of me 11 years 11 months ago #71091

Frank, John G, John S, g3 Tony as Ron please stay safe. For those in western PA I hope the temps stay up for you or you could see thunder snow! I believe they said the waves are 5-7 feet in lake Michigan already!!! :S

Bob

Re:To those east of me 11 years 11 months ago #71095

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Bob, no unusual waves on the big pond yet. Not even a breeze today, I was outside finishing up yardwork.
Prayers are with you east coasters for a safe week.
Cal

Re:To those east of me 11 years 11 months ago #71101

Well that's good to hear, thanks Cal.

Bob

Re:To those east of me 11 years 11 months ago #71116

Well being in Western Pa means the storm should be down from coast and the Laurel Highlands. They are calling for gusts to 50 MPH. We may loose electric. My neighbor might loose some of his as I describe it "jungle". The wind should come in a direction that if his huge pine trees do go they should fall on his house. He refuses to trim them down and they encroach on my property and the road. The Township cut the encroachment down to my delight and he was furious. I sat on the porch and loved every minute of it. :woohoo: We should be OK. I got to bring my drywall on the porch in this morning and check things outside. A good prayer will not hurt as I've prayed for all in the storm path.

Re:To those east of me 11 years 11 months ago #71119

Hope everything is good for you Robert. Right now steady rain and some gusts, but suppose to get worse as the day goes on. Working from the house this morning since the Navy base is mission essential personnel only. Weather channel says Lake Michigan could get up to 25' waves after Sandy comes ashore and heads inland! Crazy stuff!

Bob

Re:To those east of me 11 years 11 months ago #71121

boy i haven been able to post much,too much work to do at home and im not able to go too long.
im thinking of you all in the path of this storm,i have been trying to get ready here in west central,pa.
i have a power inverter to keep recharable lights,computer radio etc,
the computer will be all i will have for info on you guys and the storm.
we are lucky water wise,i have just rebuilt my spring house and it goes into a thousand gallon tank then gravity fed to my basement,i have told all my neighbors if they run out of water that they can come here to get some.
my thoughts are with you all,john

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:To those east of me 11 years 11 months ago #71123

Overcast and schools getting out early today. But other than a modest breeze, nothing "stormy" yet. I think we're far enough north that we'll get some rain and good gusts, but nothing super destructive. Fingers crossed...

Silver lining - if we get enough rain to raise the River level a few inches, I might be able to keep my boat in the water another couple weeks!

Re:To those east of me 11 years 11 months ago #71124

• Shipster
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
First off, many thanks for all the well wishes. We're about 1/2 hour north of Baltimore and so far it's just been a pretty good rainstorm but it seems like the wind is starting to pick a bit. Maybe 30-35 mph. They're expecting it to get over 100mph gusts before it's all said and done. Obama's declared Maryland a disaster area and as little as I agree with Governor O'Malley I do agree with him when he says the the people surfing off the beaches of Bethany and Ocean City "are a bunch of nitwits". The silver lining in all this is that it's a great excuse to clean up the yard. By the way my Crosby is staked down to the ground. I'll let you know if she makes it. Thanks.
shipster

Re:To those east of me 11 years 11 months ago #71126

shipster,

BEST WISHES & GOOD LUCK. - This one LOOKS worse than Irene.

yours, satx

Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re:To those east of me 11 years 11 months ago #71129

You hang in there, guys! DON'T take any chances! You're in our prayers!

Blest boater

Re:To those east of me 11 years 11 months ago #71134

sandy is worse than irene already and still hasn't made landfall. north jersey will be spared the flooding rains but 90mph winds will start in a while and last thru tomorrow they say. governor predicts 80% of jersey will lose power for minimum of 2 days. this is the worst storm in recorded new jersey history.

Re:To those east of me 11 years 11 months ago #71140

Crazy stuff for sure. Stay safe Ron!!!!!!!!!!!

Bob

Re:To those east of me 11 years 11 months ago #71142

• Shipster
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
I'm not certain but based on the latest trajectory Sandy's coming to our neighborhood. I guess it wants to go trick-or-treating. Good news is we're still safe and we still have power...Hope i didn't just jinx myself there. Beyond that stay safe everyone. Stay indoors.

Re:To those east of me 11 years 11 months ago #71149

Just high winds and rain up here in NH. I lost on tree in my backyard just happy it went away from the house. A couple others are swaying like crazy. Man I hate pine trees.

Re:To those east of me 11 years 11 months ago #71154

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Our thoughts and prayers go out to all our FG family members in harms way up there, please stay safe everyone!

Mark

Re:To those east of me 11 years 11 months ago #71158

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
A light mist covering the full moon on the west shore of lake Michigan. Still pretty calm. Looks like Ohio, Penn are getting hit with the brunt at the moment. Google earth shows the storm in real time.

Re:To those east of me 11 years 11 months ago #71164

• Shipster
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Again, thanks for your thoughts and prayers. They seemed to work for us in that we made it through relatively unscathed. Flooding , branches down but that's about it. My hat goes off to Baltimore Gas and Electric for keeping the power up all through everything. The lights flickered from time to time but basically no interruption at all. Keep your prayers coming though for the folks in Pa. and NY who are still in the path of a Downgraded (fortunately) Sandy. Hope everyone else made it through easily like we did. Thanks.
Robin and Shipley

Re:To those east of me 11 years 11 months ago #71165

Just rain and windy so far and I think the worst is past. But I hear on the coast it was like something they never seen. Thank God it could have been worst than it has been. Hope everyone made it through without too much damage. On a side note The Bounty has gone down with loss of life. She is the tall ship built for the movie in 1962 starring Marlon Brando. Such a shame too. news.msn.com/us/crew-member-rescued-after-abandoning-ship-dies In better days.

Re:To those east of me 11 years 11 months ago #71167

Dang... I've visited that ship several times over the years. When it wasn't traveling, it was moored at The Pier in St. Petersburg, Florida.

We weathered the storm just fine. The 18-foot Starcraft was bouncing on the sandy bottom in the boathouse last night a bit as the East wind had lowered the water level about a foot. I moved it out of the slip to deeper water and she rode just fine overnight. Water was back up this morning...

Re:To those east of me 11 years 11 months ago #71170

Ron, how was last night? You OK?

Blest boater

Re:To those east of me 11 years 11 months ago #71175

My thoughts exactly Gary! Ron how goes it?

John G are you ok?

Frank, everything OK up your way, should be hitting you about now.

Bob

Re:To those east of me 11 years 11 months ago #71176

Ron, how was last night? You OK?

Blest boater

Re:To those east of me 11 years 11 months ago #71202

thanks for thinking of us,my wife and i made it fine no power loss,but its snowing now.
i talked to ron last night on the phone him and sue seemed ok then.
yesterday i slipped in the wet grass and landed on my back,went to the doc's today ,i broke a rib in my back,looks like im out of commission for awhile,i hope all of you are ok,john

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:To those east of me 11 years 11 months ago #71207

Damn John sorry to hear that. Take it easy everything will still be there tomorrow and the day after etc. ;) Glad to hear you still have power, definitely don't want to lose power during a snow storm!

Bob

Re:To those east of me 11 years 11 months ago #71221

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Geeesh John, ya really gotta slow yourself down, now you don't have any choice. Take care and don't push yourself for a few weeks.

The wind really kicked up here in eastern Wisc today, blowing from the north and kicked lake Michigan to a frenzy. A blink of the eye compaired to what some of you fellas are going through. Hang in there.
Cal

Re:To those east of me 11 years 11 months ago #71231

John I hope you get feeling better.

Re:To those east of me 11 years 11 months ago #71243

thanks all,it will take 3 to 4 weeks to heal.
i will try to call ron tommorrow to see how they are.
on face book todd"tudor" got hit pretty hard ,we are thinking of you buddy.john

---Mark Twain

Re:To those east of me 11 years 11 months ago #71253

just now have gotten computer and tv back on line. didn't lose power to house though. no damage here , just one big mess of tree branches and leaves about 4" thick covering everything. there are woods to the north and east of our property and i bet all of those leaves are here. tractor held my clump birch together or i would of lost that for sure. sorry to hear of your injury john, as i was telling you i took a header too , tripping on my daughters guinea pig cage, but nuthin hurts. as a matter of fact the stretchin of the foot ligament due to the fall i think helped my planatar faciatis, it feels great today. ron

Re:To those east of me 11 years 11 months ago #71290

Glad to hear everyone is safe so far.

Bob

Re:To those east of me 11 years 11 months ago #71299

haven't heard from 65g3 tony yet. he lives right in the thick of things around tuckerton ,n.j.

Re:To those east of me 11 years 11 months ago #71300

just received this email from tony... Ron ...Are you guys all right ?? we've been on generator power all week just got power on tonight What a mess down here My boat is ok !!!

Re:To those east of me 11 years 11 months ago #71301

Woo Hoo!!!!!!!!!!!!! Good to hear that.

Bob

Re:To those east of me 11 years 11 months ago #71304

Dang, John! A busted rib is a big bummer! You breathing OK without too much pain?

Blest boater
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.719 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle