Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: To those east of me

Re:To those east of me 11 years 11 months ago #71304

Dang, John! A busted rib is a big bummer! You breathing OK without too much pain?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Blest boater

Re:To those east of me 11 years 11 months ago #71310

yeah ,but i have broken two other ribs before,this time it isnt so bad.
but im happy it seems everyone is ok,except for those with damage,you are in our thoughts,john

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:To those east of me 11 years 11 months ago #71336

Well, I started this message. Really glad all have been accounted for. John, I busted a rib when I was in my 20's. Could have been lot's better but both me and my girlfriend were jokers, don't laugh with broken ribs. Seems the site is getting busy again, Good sign that all is getting better. Well, at least we know who are friends are. This is the most learned lesson when trials prevail.

Re:To those east of me 11 years 11 months ago #71352

Well here in NW CT we fared OK but our beach bungalow wasn't so lucky.

Our neighbor's was worse though. At least ours is still standing.
Attachments:

Re:To those east of me 11 years 11 months ago #71354

wow jim im so sorry ,i hope you can rebuild,my heart goes out to all that have been affected by this horrible storm,if i can help anyone in any way ,i will do my best to do so,john

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:To those east of me 11 years 11 months ago #71355

Look on the bright side, You have your family and you were not in that bugalow. I hate to see damage. But Mother Nature has her ways, and God.

Re:To those east of me 11 years 11 months ago #71357

I'm glad everyone is ok ! I'm sorry some of you have lost or have damaged homes. But from all the great advice on this site.
The best advice is: You can rebuild anything !!!! The new plan is to build a hull under the rebuilt bungalow hooked to an anchor chain, for the next time the water rises.

Re:To those east of me 11 years 11 months ago #71365

Jim,
Yeah that's not going to just buff out! Sorry someone had to say it. ;) Seriously though like Robert said, no one was hurt and your all ok. My heart goes out to all who had to ride this out. Watching the pictures coming from Jersey is bringing flash backs from Ivan. Our prayers go out to all.

Bob

Re:To those east of me 11 years 11 months ago #71377

It's been awhile since I've been on but between storm prep, clean up and loss of power I haven't had much time or access. I am in extreme SE CT (Stonington Borough, to be exact. Lots of news coverage from this spot), 570 ft horizontally from the shore and in the flood plain. House at 9'-2" and garage at 4'-6" above MLW. Everything is OK and safe, but a lot of clean up.

The CC, which normally lives in the garage, went to a friend's garage out of harms way. The Tomahawk went to another friend's back yard. Put the deck back on the Glastron and the top inside and backed that into the garage. I tied it off on all 4 corners so it could float but not bang around. All the other important stuff was either in the house or elsewhere.

The house and crawl space were fine but the garage had 20" of water. I don't think the Glastron floated, but the 10 ft inflatable that I had parked next to it I think may have. Fortunately, the only thing I ended up losing was a sawzall (maybe), some cans of screws and a box of books. Everything else was either OK where it was or was inconsequential.

Lost electricity Sunday afternoon and got it back last night. A generator plus propane heat and stove made it workable. Nice missing 5 days of political ads on TV. Probably out of boating and restoration for the season as it is November and I have a lot to clean up and organize before winter weather sets in.

Jim, sorry about the bungalow. The red X does not bode well. Can it be rebuilt? Where is it?

Glad to hear everyone is safe. John, take care of yourself and don't overdo it.

Todd (aka thetudor)
1964 Custom Craft Aqua Ray
1959 Glastron Seaflite
1959 Tomahawk Spirit

Re:To those east of me 11 years 11 months ago #71382

Todd,
Glad all is in tact and no major damage. Also glad you have power back. Always makes it somewhat easier knowing you don't have to worry about the power on top of everything else.

Bob

Re:To those east of me 11 years 11 months ago #71386

I would bet the x is to mark a property checked for survivors. With so much damage manpower can not be wasted checked places twice.

Re:To those east of me 11 years 11 months ago #71387

Robert, In a beach community near me, they marked the buildings they searched but also color code. Green is OK, yellow is marginal and red is unsafe

Todd (aka thetudor)
1964 Custom Craft Aqua Ray
1959 Glastron Seaflite
1959 Tomahawk Spirit

Re:To those east of me 11 years 11 months ago #71394

We are leaning towards rebuilding as is. Any major work and we have to raise it above the 100 yr. flood mark. My father in law isn't willing to do that yet. In my mind, this is just another project. I will get to hopefully move the water pump and tank to a better location, rewire all electrical, and rebuild the porch. This bungalow is in Northern Jersey.
It has been in my wife's family since it was built back in the 40's or 50'. No place like it on earth.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.209 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online