Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Huge Boat and Motor Auction DELAYED

Huge Boat and Motor Auction DELAYED 11 years 11 months ago #70912

Thanks to all for your comments and enthusiasm for Dad's collection of boats and motors. We have decided to delay the sale until sometime in early Spring 2013.

As we are sorting things and assembling paperwork, we discovered we needed to verify some of the boat titles to ensure we have no problems, and that all titles are clear and ready for transfer to the new owners. The Texas Parks and Wildlife Department has been very helpful with this large number of boats. We are now working directly with the head person of the registration and titles department at the capital in Austin. They will review all titles, and then assign a game warden to confirm and match each title and boat.

The first issue I discovered was that some of the boat serial number tags were missing and we could only identify the boats based on the registration numbers. So the state may issue new hull numbers for those that are missing. Basically we need time to ensure everyone gets a clear accurate title.

And we are still overwhelmed with the amount of stuff we are dealing with, as I added two more boats to my list that were not there 2 weeks ago. Funny how things can hide under 30-40 years of dust and sometimes overgrown trees. The good thing is that aluminum still looks good. One boat is a nice Vagabond II. We also lowered the 2 race boats from the rafters. Two beautiful wood speed boats with safety inspections from the outboard national championships in 1983 and 1985. I attached one pic of the #29 Hydro.

I will be posting a new date once we determine when that will be. Sorry for the delays guys, but we want to have a good honest sale. You may still see a sale date on December 1 from the auctioneer, which we will still be selling the welding shop equipment and other vintage collectibles that are Not "Marine Related"

PS to Mark : Please remove the sale from the calendar for now.

Regards,
Terry

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Huge Boat and Motor Auction DELAYED 11 years 11 months ago #70916

I guess my pic did not load in my original post.
Attachments:

Re:Huge Boat and Motor Auction DELAYED 11 years 11 months ago #70926

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Done! I think it's awesome you're going through all the hassle before-hand to make sure each buyer is spared the frustration after the sale, my hat is off to you Terry. Just let me know when you get it rescheduled, we'll put it back on the calendar then. ;)

Mark

Re:Huge Boat and Motor Auction DELAYED 11 years 11 months ago #70935

Terry:
Please do keep us advised as to the date of the
rescheduled auction. There are several of my
Power Cat owners group from Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, and
Louisiana who want to attend.
On a side note, once you have gone thru the process with
the TP&WD maybe telling the story of that experience would
be worth hearing.
Regards,
Danny Leger
Austin, Texas

Re:Huge Boat and Motor Auction DELAYED 11 years 11 months ago #70951

powercat wrote:

Terry:
Please do keep us advised as to the date of the
rescheduled auction. There are several of my
Power Cat owners group from Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, and
Louisiana who want to attend.
On a side note, once you have gone thru the process with
the TP&WD maybe telling the story of that experience would
be worth hearing.
Regards,
Danny Leger
Austin, Texas

Danny,

I will keep track of my experience with TPWD. This whole process, from the probate court, cutting paths through the brush to get to the buildings and boats, to sorting things out has been an unbelievable experience so far. If I am not at my job, I am working on the estate every minute of the day. It never ends.

I have learned a lot about boats and met and talked to a lot of people. It has been fun so far, but am looking forward to the day things become smaller and more manageable. To see the expression on people's faces when they step on this property for the first time is priceless.

The help I have received from Tom Hage (boat and motor restoration), John Chadwell (Harley guy who appeared on American Pickers), and David Kanally (wood boat association)has been invaluable.

Thought I would add a pic of the one Power Cat, even though it is a little rough.
Attachments:

Re:Huge Boat and Motor Auction DELAYED 11 years 10 months ago #72268

Well I wanted to give an update on the auction situation. We had an auction on Friday Dec. 1 for all the other collectibles, and welding shop equipment. We had great weather and a really good turnout. We did not get everything sold, since we had so much to sell, but overall it went great. At least we now have some breathing room to get things a little more spread out.

I will post a few pics I took during the Thanksgiving week of the progress made on clearing more of the trees and weeds and getting the boats more organized.

My wife and I got all the hull numbers and registration info recorded and got it sent off to the head of the titles department in Austin. Texas Parks and Wildlife also got this regions Game Warden Captain assigned and he made a visit about 4 weeks ago. He was very surprised at the extent of the boat motors and boats. He looked over everything and took several pictures. Before he left he informed me the main issue he was sent out for is to look for any potential red flags. He said the theft of boats has risen and he was to look for any signs of a sort of "chop shop" type operation. He then said, you have no problems whatsoever. He said it was obvious that Dad was a passionate collector and everything was legit.

So, now we are working with Texas Parks and Wildlife to get the titles in my name for easy transfer at the auction. We should also have titles for about 80+ of the more modern boat motors. I am also pleased that TPWD has been extremely helpful and expect to have all the title stuff rapped up in the next several months.

Right now we plan to take a few weeks off and get some rest. We have been at it 100% for the past several months and are pretty exhausted. I took vacation from my real job and worked straight through Thanksgiving to get things organized for last weekends auction.

Still finding a few treasures and boat motors and we finally made our way to the back of each of the buildings.

Looking forward to the Spring boat sale and meeting some of you.

Terry
Attachments:

Re:Huge Boat and Motor Auction DELAYED 11 years 10 months ago #72269

Another pic
Attachments:

Re:Huge Boat and Motor Auction DELAYED 11 years 10 months ago #72270

This is the last pic for now, unless someone has any questions about a particular boat. Some of the boat motors we moved to make room for the other auction.

Hope everyone has a Merry Christmas.
Attachments:

Re:Huge Boat and Motor Auction DELAYED 11 years 10 months ago #72294

It is great to hear that the TPWD is being so helpful and they're working w/ & for you. It so often sounds like it's overly complex & difficult for vintage boats & trailers, and not just in Texas. Different clerks here, interpret the regulations differently, and when you bring the info requested on your last trip to the DMV, the next clerk not want that info, they want this.... And repeat....

Doing all this leg work and spending the time & effort (money?) will make the boats & trailers more valuable to the buyer, they KNOW they'll have legal title to anything they purchase, and will be several steps they won't have to do for themselves, no matter what state they take the boats & etc too..

Excellent clean up. Awesome job so far.. It all looks great.

I might suggest that you attempt to keep the outboards staged by maker. A collector of Mercs may miss 1 if it's over w/ the Johnsons & Evinrudes.

Same for the aluminum boats vs fiberglass vs wood.... I like 'em all, so if you were less then 18hrs away, I'd love to attend the event no matter the staging....

Best of luck getting all the paperwork wrapped up quickly, and that the sale goes smoothly!

Re:Huge Boat and Motor Auction DELAYED 11 years 10 months ago #72330

I am very curious about this boat. Have you been able to turn up any information about it?

The very same boat was posted here on FiberGlassics, back in 2007, by a collector in Arizona who was considering purchasing the boat:

Attachments:

Re:Huge Boat and Motor Auction DELAYED 11 years 10 months ago #72348

HandyAndy wrote:

I am very curious about this boat. Have you been able to turn up any information about it?

The very same boat was posted here on FiberGlassics, back in 2007, by a collector in Arizona who was considering purchasing the boat:

I still do not have any information about this boat. It was originally sitting on some tires on the ground, as many other boats were, and I loaded it onto a trailer. I will be making one final trip this weekend to the shop for some clean up after last weekends auction. I will look again on the hull for any information. I can also check with TPWD department to see if they have turned up anything on this one. We are trying to trace some boats by the old TX registration numbers.

It is funny that I have a non-boat guy really interested in this boat. He lives close by and has seen it in person several times. He has tried to buy it, but I have refused to sell anything. The funny thing is, he wants to make a "Rat Rod" car out of it by cutting out the bottom of the hull and mounting it on a car frame! I would rather see it go to a boat guy and keep it a boat, as I am sure Dad would want the same.

Re:Huge Boat and Motor Auction DELAYED 11 years 9 months ago #72440

HandyAndy wrote:

OK, I verified this is the same boat as you mention above that was posted in 2007. I found the license plate that matched up with the pic you posted above.
Still don't know the manufacturer, but it was registered at one time, so hopefully TPWD will have a name for us as they research all the info.
Here are some pics I took on Sunday:
Attachments:

Re:Huge Boat and Motor Auction DELAYED 11 years 9 months ago #72454

Thanks for the new photos. Would be great if Texas F&W can come up with something.

Re:Huge Boat and Motor Auction DELAYED 11 years 9 months ago #72468

HandyAndy wrote:

Thanks for the new photos. Would be great if Texas F&W can come up with something.

Well do not be 100% on what the TX P&WD comes up with. When boats had to be TX ed back in the 60s (Think it was 1959) anyone that had a boat before that just went to the county court house, put what they think they had and paid the fee.

I have bought boats that were reg as one make and it was not. My 1957 Yellow Jacket was reg as a 1959. A Lone Star I had was reg as a Monark.

The old timers did not need a bill of sale when they made them reg them for the first few years, so they TX them as what they thought they had....just as long as they got the TX # and the state got the money

CAVU

Re:Huge Boat and Motor Auction DELAYED 11 years 9 months ago #72474

Teriyaki wrote:

Here are some pics I took on Sunday:

Might ask KevFin to ID the boat..... Boats in the Belfry & project X...

Re:Huge Boat and Motor Auction DELAYED 11 years 9 months ago #72501

Well, I had not planned to post any new updates until the first of next year, but my son posted a YouTube video of some footage he shot last weekend. Maybe it gives a much better prospective on the variety of things we have going on with the estate. Just a little over 3 minutes, but it captures quit a bit of what we have.

Re:Huge Boat and Motor Auction DELAYED 11 years 9 months ago #72506

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
To quote the famous Harry Carey: "Holy Cow"!!!

Mark

Re:Huge Boat and Motor Auction DELAYED 11 years 9 months ago #72750

OK guys, I have a little update on the white fined porthole boat. TPWD has updated the file with a lot of information on the 80+ boat registrations and hull numbers.

That boat is listed as a 1958, the manufacturer is listed as Glass Magic, and was last registered in 1986 here in Texas. I have the previous owners name and address and will be attempting to contact him after the first of the year. Not expecting to get much, even if I am able to contact the previous owner.

So far I am really impressed with how helpful the people at the main office of the Texas Parks and Wildlife have been. They are doing a great deal of work and are offering to do as much of the paperwork for me as they can do to get these boats titled correctly.

I have not digested all of the latest info so far, but some manufacturers name have shown up that I have not heard of like, Sooner Craft and Whitehouse, but I see them listed in the Glassic library.

Merry Christmas everyone and hope to see many of you in the new year. Looking forward to providing new homes to many outboards and boats.

Terry

Re:Huge Boat and Motor Auction DELAYED 11 years 9 months ago #72758

Well, glad there was a record on the mystery white boat but that's not a 1958 Glass Magic:

www.fiberglassics.com/library/Glass_Magic

Re:Huge Boat and Motor Auction DELAYED 11 years 9 months ago #72784

• KevFin
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi Terry: I agree, certainly not a Glass Magic.

Unless they would be willing to list it as 1958 "Unknown, with tail fins" you might as well go ahead and let the TPWD call it a Glass magic and issue any paperwork and hull ID number they can. It is probably better to sell it with an incorrect title, than no paperwork at all.

To the governments way of thinking, it will be hard for them to think it is not a Glass Magic. If the boat is ever identified, it can be changed by the buyer at that time.

I titled one of my mystery boats, Brand: "Unknown" Model: "Pickelfork Hydroplane" They went ahead and issued the title like that.

Based on the lack of a motorwell, I would say that the year of manufacture is probably correct. Most boats from '58 back had no motorwell and those made from '59 and up tend to have one.

-KevFin
Attachments:

Re:Huge Boat and Motor Auction DELAYED 11 years 9 months ago #72804

KevFin wrote:

Hi Terry: I agree, certainly not a Glass Magic.

Unless they would be willing to list it as 1958 "Unknown, with tail fins" you might as well go ahead and let the TPWD call it a Glass magic and issue any paperwork and hull ID number they can. It is probably better to sell it with an incorrect title, than no paperwork at all.

To the governments way of thinking, it will be hard for them to think it is not a Glass Magic. If the boat is ever identified, it can be changed by the buyer at that time.

I titled one of my mystery boats, Brand: "Unknown" Model: "Pickelfork Hydroplane" They went ahead and issued the title like that.

Based on the lack of a motorwell, I would say that the year of manufacture is probably correct. Most boats from '58 back had no motorwell and those made from '59 and up tend to have one.

-KevFin

KevFin,
Thank you for your response, and especially for your personal email to me. Glad to hear you knew Dad, and actually saw this boat first hand.

I will leave the name as unknown for now and have a little discussion with TPWD to see if we maybe call it something else. But, the main focus is still to get a good legal title for easy transfer to the new lucky owner in the future.
Terry

Re:Huge Boat and Motor Auction DELAYED 11 years 9 months ago #72805

It is funny that I have a non-boat guy really interested in this boat. He lives close by and has seen it in person several times. He has tried to buy it, but I have refused to sell anything. :ohmy: The funny thing is, he wants to make a "Rat Rod" car out of it by cutting out the bottom of the hull and mounting it on a car frame! I would rather see it go to a boat guy and keep it a boat, as I am sure Dad would want the same.[/quote]

I agree with you!!!!!!!

Florida's Amphicar restoration destination

Re:Huge Boat and Motor Auction DELAYED 11 years 9 months ago #72850

As for one that has been working with the TPWL for years, they are Great people.

However DO NOT muddy the water and tell them it is something other then what it is reg as, less they bring it up

CAVU
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.256 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle