Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: removing the "ghost" of numbers on 1959 MFG hull

removing the "ghost" of numbers on 1959 MFG hull 11 years 11 months ago #70395

does anyone have experience in removing the "ghost" of registration numbers and name of boat after the adhesive numbers and letters have been removed ? I have been careful to use Goo Gone , and very mild abrasive cleaner and have had no effect . the hull is slightly rough from the factory , so I'm concerned with using a heavier abrasive or power buffer / any suggestions will be greatly appreciated .

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:removing the "ghost" of numbers on 1959 MFG hull 11 years 11 months ago #70398

• jepstr67
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 1
I'd be very surprised if it will be possible to fully remove the ghosts. In my experience, it is fading in the surface of the gelcoat or paint. Best way I've found to hide them is just put the new numbers where the old ones had been.

Re:removing the "ghost" of numbers on 1959 MFG hull 11 years 11 months ago #70405

Can you post a pic of the area. Is this a fiberglass hull or wood. If it's fiberglass there is not much you can do except cover the area with new numbers like jepstr67 stated. If its wood you may be able to take the finish down enough to lose the ghost effect. Good luck with it.Skip.

Re:removing the "ghost" of numbers on 1959 MFG hull 11 years 11 months ago #70412

Go to an autobody paint store and ask for something to take stickers and stuff off cars. I forget the name. I think it was made by 3M. I have also taken a wee bit of lacquer :) thinner on a rag and wiped it off.If that does not do it then it is faded in.

Re:removing the "ghost" of numbers on 1959 MFG hull 11 years 11 months ago #70425

You can make the color be the same by using the restoration methods shown here:

fiberglassics.com/restoration/restoring-gel-coat

The problem is, even though the color will be the same,the gel coat will have weathered away around the letters, but still be like new under them. So, you'll have a raised area where the letters were. The older and more weathered, the more raised it will be.

I have polished and restored a boat recently with this problem. I was able to make the color match exactly, as the color is still in the gel coat once you get the faded and weathered surface gone. Mine still has the raised area where the letters were. I would think with enough patience you could sand down the raised area to match the surrounding surface, re-polish and get get it nearly invisible. You'd probably have to mask all the old area, then sand only the raised part. In my case, it didn't matter, so that is as far as I went.

Re:removing the "ghost" of numbers on 1959 MFG hull 11 years 11 months ago #70427

• Robby321
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 10
Just a thought, as been there, done that. Sometimes just cutting a sheet of contact paper to cover the old numbers, hull color best match you can, and letters on that instead. Or see if a decal maker shop can make something up, numbers on it, and stick that on the hull.

Re: removing the "ghost" of numbers on 1959 MFG hull 11 years 11 months ago #70428

yep that is a problem....not only does the color fade around the vynal letters the adheasve also usualy all the way to the fiberglass.....the 3m tool to take the letters off is generaly called an eraser wheel....to get all the ghosting out you would have to sand the s out of the area and prime with a good quality blocking primer and repaint....if you just color coat it will probly show back through....john

Re: removing the "ghost" of numbers on 1959 MFG hull 11 years 11 months ago #70456

I have pictures , but have no luck up loading pictures ......the hull appears to be completely original /

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.185 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online